Fake P42 camo trousers on ebay (item 140908996163)

Squad leader

I just found this pair of USMC P42 camoed trousers on ebay (item # 140908996163). It is listed as an original but it's a reproduction made by WWII Impression according to the Pacman and the convex shape of the "Scovill Mfg Co" snaps.

Link to auction: http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1438.l2649

post-1681-0-29147100-1359326561_thumb.jpg

post-1681-0-61486000-1359327292.jpg

Original and fake Scovill snaps. Original snaps have a concave surface while the fake ones have a more convex shape.

Dan.

post-1681-0-67207500-1359327733.jpg

post-1681-0-74199400-1359327788.jpg

That's very interesting; evidently the guys who repopped the camo pattern took their design from '43-'45 vintage Shelter Half canvas rather than HBT.

At least this PacMan looks a little more "authentic" than the other one :lol:

post-3226-0-38295900-1359329511.jpg

The colors are all wrong as well, another thing is the hem on the beach side should have been hemmed up with green showing on the beach side , as far as the snaps go your right ,however i have seen

some faintness of the company markings on authentic fasteners due to the dies being worn out due to so much usage . People are committing fraud and should be arrested as far as i am concerned, anyone

who knowingly sells a fake item as the real deal is stealing and should be prosecuted koreamike :dry: :dry: B)

The colors are all wrong as well, another thing is the hem on the beach side should have been hemmed up with green showing on the beach side , as far as the snaps go your right ,however i have seen

some faintness of the company markings on authentic fasteners due to the dies being worn out due to so much usage . People are committing fraud and should be arrested as far as i am concerned, anyone

who knowingly sells a fake item as the real deal is stealing and should be prosecuted koreamike :dry: :dry: B)

koreamike-

Could you please recheck your sources for the info about GREEN side material showing at the trouser leg hem on the BROWN side of P42s? I thought that was only true on the P44 trousers to allow for the draw cord...

As to the trousers on ebay, maybe I'm incorrect, but didn't ORIGINAL P42s have FIVE snaps on the fly, rather than four?

Respectfully submitted,

Terry ("Bagman")

As to the trousers on ebay, maybe I'm incorrect, but didn't ORIGINAL P42s have FIVE snaps on the fly, rather than four?

Perhaps does it depend on size ?

koreamike-

Could you please recheck your sources for the info about GREEN side material showing at the trouser leg hem on the BROWN side of P42s? I thought that was only true on the P44 trousers to allow for the draw cord...

Respectfully submitted,

Terry ("Bagman")

Bagman,

You're right about the green-side material not showing on the brown side. On the P-42 trousers the reinforcing band at the hem was of the brown-side color as well as on the P-44 trousers without the draw cord at the bottom.

The five-snap P-42 trousers are usually waist size over 34 inch. 34 inch and below have four snaps on all the originals I have seen.

SOLD FOR: $460.00

If this thread hadn't gotten me to look at these trousers more carefully, I might have made an even bigger mistake than someone just did...Thank you, Dan for the alert on this specific "pacman" shape!

Thankfully, and now better informed,

Terry ("Bagman") :blush:

• 2 weeks later...

Bagman,

You're right about the green-side material not showing on the brown side. On the P-42 trousers the reinforcing band at the hem was of the brown-side color as well as on the P-44 trousers without the draw cord at the bottom.

The five-snap P-42 trousers are usually waist size over 34 inch. 34 inch and below have four snaps on all the originals I have seen.

Dittoes on both counts; in fact, I think you were the one who alerted me to the number snaps being dependant on the size some time ago.