Civil War Era Unit Sign, Identification Request

Hello Gents:

When I first saw this object I thought it was some type of early grave marker. But I was told by a reliable source that signs like this were used in more permanent Civil War Union campsites to identify one unit's area from another. Could anyone confirm this information?

This object is obviously hand forged iron and has an overall length of 23 inches.The "5 OH" Regiment was raised in the southern Ohio area where several important Union camps were located and this is the area in which this item was found.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

post-35523-0-55594900-1359321814.jpg

post-35523-0-22610700-1359321876.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
USCapturephotos

I have relic hunted for over 20 years and have read many of the usual Civil War relic publications and have never seen anything like this. I would be curious to see what others think although I would be surprised if this was used during the war as a camp marker. I'm sure sooner or later someone will know the history on this.

Paul

I've never seen anything like this and doubt if it's a period item used to mark camps. A cast iron marker would be very impractical to carry in the field.

One possibility that comes to mind is a "flank marker" used on battlefields to denote unit positions. The current ones I've seen on battlefields are stone but it's possible that iron markers were used at some point. However, it doesn't have anything to indicate branch of service, which would be unusual for a flank marker (or any kind of military marker, for that matter). There's nothing to indicate whether this is the 5th Ohio Infantry, Cavalry, or Artillery.

I am almost certain that this is a road marker - probably for Ohio State Route 5.

This has nothing whatsoever to do with the Civil War.

I agree. Camp markers and flank markers used during the war were flags. A cast iron marker like this would have been to impracticle for military field use.

I am almost certain that this is a road marker - probably for Ohio State Route 5.

THAT sounds like a winner right there, I have never seen anything like this for a camp or a GAR Reunion.

I think you're most likely right. It's still probably collectible, just not from the War Between the States.

Gents:

Thank you all very much for the information. I could tell it was very old but I did not know what it was.

Your valued opinions are very much appreciated.

Our very best regards to all,

Clay