New A-2

thehellrazor

Hi all,

I have just purchased my first original A-2 jacket. The actual jacket is really nice, however I am dubious on the story that came with it.

It is meant to be named to Harry G Mason, 305 BG, however there is no name in it, and the stamp in the back only says M-2232.

Could some perhaps help with any confirmation that this is Masons serial number please?

Thanks in advance.

the M with 4 digits is a serial number.With enlisted they used the first letter of the last name(in this case M) and if the last 4 digits of his serial number could be confirmed you may have a match.With the M in fromt of the serial numbers you may have a match.

Here's a Harry G. Mason from Mt. Dora Florida on the National WWII Memorial Registry:

http://www.wwiimemorial.com/registry/search/pframe.asp?HonoreeID=196070

ACTIVITY DURING WWII

BOMBARDIER AND LATER GROUP LEAD NAVIGATOR, 305TH BOMB GROUP, 364TH BOMB SQUADRON, CHELVESTON, ENGLAND. AWARDED A SILVER STAR, AIR MEDAL, DISTINGUISHED FLYING CROSS, PURPLE HEART.

Mark sends

If that is the same person who owned the jacket, looks like it could be an interesting story. Could you post photos of the jacket?

Philip

AAF_Collection

Here is some more info on Mason,I'm guessing this is the action for which he received the Silver Star

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/06/01/us/col-w-r-lawley-jr-78-world-war-ii-hero.html

http://www.airforce-magazine.com/MagazineArchive/Pages/1983/June%201983/0683valor.aspx

To confirm Mason's ASN you will probably need to obtain his record from the NARA. If the jacket can be verified as Mason's it's quite an important piece of Eighth Air Force history!.

Matt.

Hi guys, I think I will struggle to get anything out of NARA due to me not being a US citizen! I will get some photos up soon.

Unfortunately the previous owner has put another name tag over the original holes for the original nametape. It still retains its original LT bars though.

As I say, pictures to follow tonight...

Anyone can access the NARA database and it's not limited to US citizens only. I ran that name and laundry mark combination through it however and got no matches for it. There were quite a few Harry G. Mason but none with that enlisted serial number. It's possible that he's not in there however as the records are not complete. Also note that the one found in the WWII Registry from FL was an Officer while that is an enlisted man's laundry mark.

AAF_Collection

Also note that the one found in the WWII Registry from FL was an Officer while that is an enlisted man's laundry mark.

Hi Thomas,

The same format was used for both Officer and Enlisted laundry marks. Also as an aviation cadet he would have had an Enlisted ASN until he was commissioned. The number in the A-2 could be either,depending upon when he received it,if it is indeed Mason's jacket.

Matt.

A2 Pic1

Ignore the nametapes that are on it at the moment, the previous owner admitted he had added these as his relative was in the USAAF.

post-442-0-94099500-1359570440.jpg