101st airborne glider group

mes

Here is a recently aquired 101st airborne glider group named to Eldon Wasser.Still in research but appears to have served in artillery.I was told he was in the battle of the buldge.

1-20-13013.jpg

1-20-13016.jpg

1-20-13015.jpg

1-20-13017.jpg

1-20-13019.jpg

Nice Group! Being that his collar brass is "Coastal Artillery"....you may want to check in the Anti-Aircraft (AAA) units in the 101st, I'm thinking it was the 81st Airborne AAA Bn.....many of the AAA men wore Coast Artillery Brass.

Do you plan to have the patch and rank re-sewn to the jacket?

See:

http://www.ww2-airborne.us/units/81/81.html

MES,

Your man Elston C Wasser was in fact in the 81st Airborne AA Battalion of the 101st. The was in "Battery A" and joined the Battalion after Holland and just before Bastogne. Battery A was attached to the 506th and on the 20th & 21st of December were credited with destroying 5 MKIII Germans tanks. He remained with them for the duration of the war. As an "FYI"...Batteries A, B & C were with Anti-Tank Batteries and Batteries D, E & F were the Anti-Aircraft Batteries. If you pm me your email address I will make a copy of the roster from the ultra-rare 81st Unit history and send it to you.

Hope this helps.

Jake Powers

www.heroesinourmidst.net

• 8 years later...

Hello, I am the great grandson of Elston Charles Wasser. This is an amazing situation we are in, at my grandparents home, they have several wartime photos of his and even a journal he started in March of 1945. 

Sometime this month when my schedule frees up, I'll upload some pictures of him to help build you a bigger picture of his service time.

Amazing photo! It is really cool to see him wearing the Ike jacket in the photo. I am not sure how active the original poster will be. The pictures of the uniform are from 2013. Looking forward to learning more about Mr. Wasser

11 hours ago, OsiusGaming said:

Here's just one really low quality photo I currently have of him. 

Screenshot_20211117-214437.png

OG

Welcome to the Forum and thank you for posting the picture of your Grandpa. Just a thought based on personal experience, try using a scanner and scan the picture on the highest setting. Scanning does an outstanding job of bringing out detail that cannot be seen.

If you don't have one at home check out the local library or printing shop at local college, many times scanning is free and at the college they are quite competitive price wise if you want to get a quality enlarged print. I look forward to any update you can post.

Best regards,

John

12 hours ago, T1gertank519 said:

Amazing photo! It is really cool to see him wearing the Ike jacket in the photo. I am not sure how active the original poster will be. The pictures of the uniform are from 2013. Looking forward to learning more about Mr. Wasser

They are still active as of 16 hours ago.