Flagman: 74 Years of Dedication

West-Front

Flagman: 74 Years of Dedication

Marine Corps News | Sgt. Michael T. Knight | February 26, 2008

MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP PENDLETON, CA. - He has been called a 'super patriot' by presidents, members of Congress and the military generals.

Alex "Flagman" Kapitanski has dedicated 74 of his 85 years to the United States of America.He survived Normandy's beaches at age 18. He trudged through the trenches in the Battle of the Bulge and fought the Nazis in five countries during the European campaign. But long before the Americans raised the Stars and Stripes above Berlin, Kapitanski had already taken his first steps toward earning the title "Flagman."

His love for the American flag began at age 11, when he joined the Boy Scouts in his hometown of West Rutland, Vt. As a Scout, he hung his first flag to honor the local American Legion Post. The legionnaire's unselfish support for Boy Scouts and the community left a permanent impression, Kapitanski said. Since then, he has displayed nearly 9 million flags at tens of thousands of ceremonial functions all over the United States, years after he contributed towards raising flags abroad during the fight against Nazi Germany.

In 1940, Kapitanski joined the Army as an aerial and ground reconnaissance photographer. During his European tour, he was presented the Silver Star by Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower for jumping into a foxhole and taking a German sniper prisoner. He later received a second Silver Star by Gen. Courtney H. Hodges, and returned home wearing five campaign battle stars.

"I remember being assigned to take a photo of Eisenhower's meeting with delegates," said Kapitanski. "He yelled at me when I got too close to some explosives in the area."

The accolades Kapitanski has earned throughout the years are too numerous to list, but he is constantly recognized for his selfless volunteer work. One of his proudest achievements came Jun. 8, 2001, when he was officially made an honorary Marine for his many flag decorations at ceremonies on Camp Pendleton. The 32nd Commandant of the Marine Corps, General James L. Jones, bestowed the honor upon Kapitanski.

"Your selfless service is cherished in our Corps, and we thank you for your dedication," Jones said in a letter to Kapitanski.

In 2001, years of volunteering his services at 1st Marine Division events also earned him one of only 57 first edition 1st Marine Division silver rings, originally crafted during World War II.

"Because the number of rings are few and the mold long since broken, I have directed that they only be given to individuals whose service to the 1st Marine Division has been truly exceptional," said retired Gen. Frank Libutti, former Commanding Officer, 1st Marine Division. "I can think of no more fitting a tribute to a man who has actively supported his community, the Marine Corps, and the United States of America by serving as the finest example of citizenship."

During the 1980s, Kapitanski's work also captured the attention of President Ronald Reagan. So impressed was the president, that on a visit to Camp Pendleton, Reagan had a Secret Service Agent track Kapitanski down just to get a photo with him.

"Reagan said to me, 'you're a super patriot, and I'd like to have my picture taken with you,'" Kapitanski said. The picture hangs on a wall in his home, right next to the personal Apostolic Blessing from Pope John Paul II.

"Kapitanski does all this purely for the love of country, to promote patriotism and to support our men and women in service throughout the world," said Albert Kapitanski, the Flagman's son. "He only thinks of others, never himself."

Kapitanski's flags and colorful speeches about service have touched thousands of California residents over the years. Ken Grody, the owner of a local truck dealership, and his employees have grown to love Kapitanski as they would any member of their family. They gave Kapitanski a new van Dec. 5, decorated with his large portrait covering the entire side of the vehicle. The van is the second the dealership has given him.

"This is the least we can do for Alex," said Carlos Aly, a sales manager at the dealership. "He is the greatest guy I have met in my entire life. He sacrifices so much of his precious time and money to promote our freedom."

For his work, Kapitanski has received two Distinguished Public Service Medals, the highest civilian award. The first was from President Clinton's staff, and the second from President Bush. One of the letters submitted to the president nominating Kapitanski for the medal came from Gloria E. McClellan, former Mayor of Vista."We need more men like Mr. Kapitanski," McClellan said. "When we find a special person who gives his all to his country, I feel we must honor him in all ways."