Need honest opinions from any here-who own the new manufactured M1911 A1 .45s.

history-buff1944

history-buff1944

Im in the market to buy one or more of these and I was wondering what anyone here has to say on these new made GI M1911 A1 Mil Spec Colt .45s. I know that several makers are producing them like: Springfield Armory, Ithica, Remington etc, and I was wondering if anyone here has purchased one or more of these? and what your initial impressions of them are? Ive done some research online on opinions and the majority have no issues wioth these except that when a few got theirs-they came with the wrong colored grips (black) but were replaced free by the manufacturer. I am wondering if that is still an issue? and also I read from a couple that the Magazine does not eject like it shold--at least untill well broken in.

Anyway, just wondering what you all think of these?

Best regards--HB

Im in the market to buy one or more of these and I was wondering what anyone here has to say on these new made GI M1911 A1 Mil Spec Colt .45s. I know that several makers are producing them like: Springfield Armory, Ithica, Remington etc, and I was wondering if anyone here has purchased one or more of these? and what your initial impressions of them are? Ive done some research online on opinions and the majority have no issues wioth these except that when a few got theirs-they came with the wrong colored grips (black) but were replaced free by the manufacturer. I am wondering if that is still an issue? and also I read from a couple that the Magazine does not eject like it shold--at least untill well broken in.

Anyway, just wondering what you all think of these?

Best regards--HB

I bought one a few years back and ended up selling it because of a now ex-wife. It was a solid piece and one I was proud to own. I was happy with it. Just my two cents.

Different gun, but auto ordnance did me very dirty with one of their Thompsons. Took two months to get it working brand new, horrible customer service, bolt ended up breaking on it slightly out of warranty. A buddy has a rock island, it shoots very well, have only heard good things about springfield. I ended up getting a Colt 1991A1 myself. Shoots like a dream, although it is emblazoned with 1991A1 on the slide. Looks good with tbd proper grips and an arched mainspring housing with lanyard loop.

history-buff1944

Thank all of ya. Looks like ill be getting at least one ;-)) Waiting for the Feb gunshow to see who is selling them? before I start with dealers I already looked up.

If I find one at the show? ill see if I can get a chance to use it soon after at the Starry Range. I HAD a Remington-Rand M1911 A1--which was a 1942 made piece and loved it. The gun I had had belonged to MacArthurs Artillery General, General Francis P. Hardaway. Ive been kicking myself since I traded it away--and for something lesser-like a so-called; "Black Widow Luger" This piece was presented to the General from Remington-Rand as thanks for somehting he did for them. The pistol had ever so lsight wear on the tip of the barrel and that was the only so called flaw.

Anyone here have a time machine I could borrow-so I cna go back in time 12 or so years and kick myself to change my mind on trading this piece?

The RIA brand is a nice weapon for the money.Made in the Phillipine and have been told are one of the models that will totally interchange with US government models .The one I had I took the smooth grips off and replaced them with a set of checkered walmut grips.It had a green parked finnish.A set of WW2 brown grips also fit well.Anyome who first saw it thought it was a WW2 model.The new made Remingtons are nice as well.

The Springfield Armory GI 1911A1 is a great gun with 90% of the look of a real A1. The roll marking on the slide is taller than it should be, there's a small hole in the mainspring housing where you can insert a key to lock the pistol & the profile of the thumb safety is not quite right. Mine had really nice double diamond walnut grips which I put on my original 1911 & replaced with some vintage brown bakelite grips. The gun is VERY well made, accurate, and a joy to shoot. I caught a sale at a big-box gun store and paid $375 out the door in 2005. YMMV.

Tim

My brother has the Springfield Armory 1911A1 and is very pleased with it - shoots accurately and he has had no problems with it

Bill

history-buff1944

Thanks again guys. now im going to have a hard time choosing what maker i want ;-)) ~~OR~~ maybe ill just collect each maker? Ive always loved 45s so getting more than one will probably be what ill do. I checked on prices on several sites and the prices are all over the board. Seen from around $325 up to about $700.00.If I can get at least two for a tad under a grand? ill be satisfied.

I bought the Auto Ordnance version of the 1911A1 and could not be more pleased. Works great, shoots great, looks great and I have had not a problem with it in over 500 rounds I have put through it. I went through the same soul searching as you did history-buff1944 about which make to buy, but I absolutely made the right choice with Auto Ordnance. Good luck with your decision.

post-299-0-16326700-1359673512_thumb.jpg

I have a Springfield Armory M1911A1 and Ive fired over 8,000 rds out of it and it's still tight and shows very little wear, it has the higher profile combat iron sites and it's has very good combat accuracy, very reliable

but I added a few nicer parts to mine to improve it, like a GI issue chrome lined barrel, Vietnam era USN issue black plastic grips [feels like the same material M16 bayonet grips are made of] very tough material

a stronger recoil spring for reliability and I use GI issue magazines [Vietnam surplus]

I would highly recommend the Springfield, the slide & receiver is made in Brazil by IMBEL a well known military arsenal that has been making M1911A1 pistols for a long time

the forged steel is very durable and strong

I had a Springfield and a Colt but I never warmed up to the 1911 style pistol. One was as good as the other and both were as accurate as my old eyes could see. I ended up selling them and getting a Sig 220.

If your planning to use it a lot as a regular shooter, I would definitely buy a modern version like the Springfield or other brand, I think they are actually made stronger than the old WWI - WWII era models

I think the metallurgy of modern steels are made much better and more suitable for heavy range use than an old surplus piece.

I have the Springfield M1911A1 GI Mil-spec. I love it, I also own a few vintage M1911s and I wanted a modern shooter that was a close clone to the older ones. I really think the Springfield was a good choice in my case.

Chris

history-buff1944

I bought the Auto Ordnance version of the 1911A1 and could not be more pleased. Works great, shoots great, looks great and I have had not a problem with it in over 500 rounds I have put through it. I went through the same soul searching as you did history-buff1944 about which make to buy, but I absolutely made the right choice with Auto Ordnance. Good luck with your decision.

Thank you Rambob, this one looks fantastic and will probably be the one I get, If you dont mind me asking but--how much was yours? We have a petty big gun show here in two more weekends and I know a few will be sold there.

history-buff1944

I have a Springfield Armory M1911A1 and Ive fired over 8,000 rds out of it and it's still tight and shows very little wear, it has the higher profile combat iron sites and it's has very good combat accuracy, very reliable

but I added a few nicer parts to mine to improve it, like a GI issue chrome lined barrel, Vietnam era USN issue black plastic grips [feels like the same material M16 bayonet grips are made of] very tough material

a stronger recoil spring for reliability and I use GI issue magazines [Vietnam surplus]

I would highly recommend the Springfield, the slide & receiver is made in Brazil by IMBEL a well known military arsenal that has been making M1911A1 pistols for a long time

the forged steel is very durable and strong

Thank you Bolo, also, if you dont mind me asking? about how much was yours? Im looking at buying at least two of these this year and would like both Springfield and Auto-Ordnance versions and im looking for a 3rd (not till Dec) so I cna get a nice one for one of my Nephews.

history-buff1944

I had a Springfield and a Colt but I never warmed up to the 1911 style pistol. One was as good as the other and both were as accurate as my old eyes could see. I ended up selling them and getting a Sig 220.

Ive thought of Sigs too but--the only thing for me is im "need" a GI style handgun ;-)) I HAD Gen Matthew P. Hardaways 42 Remington-Rand piece--but had a severe case of "the stupids" about 15 years ago, and traded it off. I have almost no behid or knees left due to all the kicking of them ive been doing all these years.

history-buff1944

If your planning to use it a lot as a regular shooter, I would definitely buy a modern version like the Springfield or other brand, I think they are actually made stronger than the old WWI - WWII era models

I think the metallurgy of modern steels are made much better and more suitable for heavy range use than an old surplus piece.

Sound good to me. If I can get at least 2 this year? I plan to alternate them when using them. I just bought a great Cedar Chest (small size) that I also plan to house them in-along with a Boyd holster if I can still find two for a good enough price?

history-buff1944

I have the Springfield M1911A1 GI Mil-spec. I love it, I also own a few vintage M1911s and I wanted a modern shooter that was a close clone to the older ones. I really think the Springfield was a good choice in my case.

Chris

Hi Chris, I also love Springfields, I have a Springfield Rifle of the type we used in WWI--and love it. Ive only fired it once but loved it the same. IF you have a good source for prices on these? please let em know as I cna get them ordered no probs. I found another site by accidnet recently who had prices all over the board due to current gun ban puch but--as things hopefully seem to be cooling down a bit--I hope prices will get back to more normal. I also like the Rock Island Arsenal one too--but that was one I saw prices going up to around $750 for on at least one site.

history-buff1944

I have a Rock Island and it shoots very well. For the price, they are great.

Speaking of--do you mind letting em know a round-about price for these? Im always interested and will definately be buying more than one version of this 45 this year.

• 3 weeks later...
history-buff1944

Closure to this one. I settled for a WWII GI Mil Spec piece--but the seller couldnt tell me what company made it. I found one by talking to a seller at a local gun show last month--price is around $500--and the piece was coming in and hopefully will be picking it up at the March show.

If all else fails and the gun doesnt arrive--ive a back-up picked out and that one will be ar the next show. Thanks to all who helped me on this.