How Do You Collect

If it's a combat jacket, I would save money to collect a whole uniform.

If it's a dress jacket, I would go for option 2.

Looking to buy D-Day and 101st/82nd related groupings

Doolittle Raider Jacob DeShazer: 'If you declare with your mouth, 'Jesus is Lord', and believe in your heart that God raise Him from the dead, you will be saved (Romans 10:9)

donation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

#1...unless I'm planning on doing a mannequin

-Brig
GySgt/USMC/0369
RSU-Quantico

"FOR OUR TOMORROWS, THEY GAVE THEIR TODAYS"
RIP
Sgt Jesse 'Jeff Nasty' Balthaser
Sgt John P Huling
Cpl Carlos 'Gilo Monster' Gilorozco
Cpl Stephen C 'Socks' Sockalosky
LCpl Joshua A 'Scottie' Scott
LCpl Jason Lee 'Birdman' Frye
LCpl Nicolas B Morrison
LCpl Jon T Hicks
LCpl Osbrany 'Oz' Montes De Oca
Pvt Lewis T D Calapini
'The SOI 5'

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

To me the jackets are the only things I really like , but I guess it is an OCD thing or something , I must have a shirt and tie .

I document everything that did not come with the jacket. Usually just accesories like a tie or a belt .

#2 all the way. If you're going to put it on a torso, it's the best looking option in my eyes.

Uniforms shouldn't be stashed away in a closet, what an injustice! Haha

Visit My 76th Division Collection Website!

http://76thdivisioncollection.blogspot.com/

Always looking for 76th Infantry Division Items and Information!!

385th, 304th, and 417th Infantry Regiments : 355th, 364th, 901st, 302nd Field Artillery Battalions

301st Medical and 301st Engineer Battalions

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Well, I suppose it depends on what the 'jacket' is, let's say its a WWII "Ike" jacket, then it really needs a shirt and tie to look correct. You don't have to have a shirt and tie for each uniform, one of each (tie and shirt) is fine.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

*Sherlock Holmes in "A Scandal in Bohemia"*

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif
donation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Start light-heartedly with 1) and fatally end up deeply involved into 3), most of the times.. that's why I stick to GI gear from a very limited period & theater, if I'd should dare starting collecting dress uniforms, for example, I'd end up looking after original desk-boards & chairs from the Pentagon, for correct location.

I am not interested in just a jacket. I am only interested in the jacket of .... So I would try to find as much as information possible on the owner of the jacket and display that together with the jacket. I only collect 82nd Airborne items.

Frits

I would say option 2 for me, I try to get shirts, ties, trousers, and covers for mine if the jacket didn't already come with them. I personally feel it looks better that way when displayed, especially for dress uniforms.

If you buy a jacket that you really have to have do you .....

1) be happy with the jacket

2) buy a shirt and tie for display purposes and the SET mentality

3) buy pants shirts and every available option at the time

Yes to all of the above.

I primarily collect ID'd uniforms, so if it only comes with the jacket, then I'm happy with that. If I am taking a photograph or putting it on display and it looks better with a shirt & tie, then I'll add them for the display only. However, if I want to display, for example, a typical soldier in Europe 1945, then I get everything boots, socks, boxers, etc. and decide how to display them.

The concern that I have is that an item not be joined to a grouping by mistake. I don't want to have a shirt and tie join an identified jacket when it never belonged to the vet. Trust me, when you have collected a while or you just get older, it becomes difficult to remember what was part of the origianal group if you merge other pieces into it.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. "

View my website honoring the men and women of Indiana: http://indianavets.wix.com/indiana-at-war and follow my updates on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/IndianaModernAgeofWar/
Interested in US uniforms? Join the Association of American Military Uniform Collectors! http://aamuc.org/or find us on Facebook! facebook.com/AAMUC.ORG