How Do You Collect

The Rookie

If you buy a jacket that you really have to have do you .....

1) be happy with the jacket

2) buy a shirt and tie for display purposes and the SET mentality

3) buy pants shirts and every available option at the time

If it's a combat jacket, I would save money to collect a whole uniform.

If it's a dress jacket, I would go for option 2.

However you want. It's your uniform. You make the decision. If you decide to sell it, make sure the new owner knows the other stuff didn't come with it.

To me the jackets are the only things I really like , but I guess it is an OCD thing or something , I must have a shirt and tie .

I document everything that did not come with the jacket. Usually just accesories like a tie or a belt .

carbinephalen

#2 all the way. If you're going to put it on a torso, it's the best looking option in my eyes.

Uniforms shouldn't be stashed away in a closet, what an injustice! Haha

Well, I suppose it depends on what the 'jacket' is, let's say its a WWII "Ike" jacket, then it really needs a shirt and tie to look correct. You don't have to have a shirt and tie for each uniform, one of each (tie and shirt) is fine.

Mack-the-Finger

Start light-heartedly with 1) and fatally end up deeply involved into 3), most of the times.. that's why I stick to GI gear from a very limited period & theater, if I'd should dare starting collecting dress uniforms, for example, I'd end up looking after original desk-boards & chairs from the Pentagon, for correct location.

I am not interested in just a jacket. I am only interested in the jacket of .... So I would try to find as much as information possible on the owner of the jacket and display that together with the jacket. I only collect 82nd Airborne items.

Frits

I would say option 2 for me, I try to get shirts, ties, trousers, and covers for mine if the jacket didn't already come with them. I personally feel it looks better that way when displayed, especially for dress uniforms.

If you buy a jacket that you really have to have do you .....

1) be happy with the jacket

2) buy a shirt and tie for display purposes and the SET mentality

3) buy pants shirts and every available option at the time

Yes to all of the above.

I primarily collect ID'd uniforms, so if it only comes with the jacket, then I'm happy with that. If I am taking a photograph or putting it on display and it looks better with a shirt & tie, then I'll add them for the display only. However, if I want to display, for example, a typical soldier in Europe 1945, then I get everything boots, socks, boxers, etc. and decide how to display them.

The concern that I have is that an item not be joined to a grouping by mistake. I don't want to have a shirt and tie join an identified jacket when it never belonged to the vet. Trust me, when you have collected a while or you just get older, it becomes difficult to remember what was part of the origianal group if you merge other pieces into it.