Bring back Waffen SS helmet

Fixbayonets!

Here is a bring back M-42 helmet with second pattern Waffen SS camo cover that has an interesting story. I received a call from an ad I placed back in 1991 from a guy who said he had a German helmet and a few other things he would like to sell. I asked him if he brought these items home from Europe, he said he did not, he was just a kid during the war. His older Sister was dating a recently discharged vet and he had a keen interest in the WWII. He would sit down with his Sisters boyfriend and ask him about his experiences during the war. One day the vet came by to pick up his Sister and gave the kid a box of spoils he brought back - inside was a K98 bayonet, Nazi party armband, Luftshutz gas mask, French mortar round, a Japanese flag (still not sure how the ETO vet got that, maybe he traded?) and this helmet. Here are a few photos.......

Rob

post-168-0-38161700-1359211581.jpg

Rob,

A fantastic helmet and great story. One could only imagine where this gem was found and if the decals are present under the cover. The helmet cover looks to be in superb condition, nice crisp colors and sharp details. Thank you for sharing.

Leigh

Thank you guys, glad you like it. The helmet is not as exciting but is original to the cover. The cover was on a M-42 helmet shell, no liner, no decals. I have the cover on a complete no decal M-42, I like to dsiplay the cover & the shell side by side. Here is photo of the cover and helmet shell side by side..........

post-168-0-62170100-1359212893.jpg

Very nice.Decals would have been nice but who cares.That cover is amazing.Look's

like it was just issued.

Thanks! The cover was definitely issued and shows some field wear along with an L shaped tear on one side near the bottom edge. You are correct that is in excellent condition as many of these were worn to tatters.

The round is a 50MM for the French Mle. 37 mortar. it is interesting to note that many of these mortars were captured & pressed into service by the Germans. Here is a close up of the mortar round.

post-168-0-76050600-1359222707.jpg

it is interesting to note that many of these mortars were captured & pressed into service by the Germans.

That is interesting. I guess the spoils of war.

• 4 weeks later...

Amazing Helmet!!!! Also I love the flag. Would like to get one myself for my Pelieu impression.

Thanks! The flag reads in English "Mr. Bobby my friend" and then Japanese characters that I have no idea how to traslate. The guy I bought it from said that it was signed by a Japanese General but this is what he (just a kid in the 1940's) was told back in the day.

I might be able to help you with your Pelieu flag, I know of one that was brought home from there. If you would like, send me a PM.

Rob