Another Storage Question

The Rookie

Is it ok to leave uniforms , shirts etc in the plastic covers they give you at the cleaners ? Or will this cause yellowing ?

I don't think it is an issue, but depending on how close together you store your uniforms. You may want some space between each uniform if you have the luxury of hanging them. This way the plastic can breathe. One other thing to consider. Depending on the climate you are in, if there is much humidity and dampness for example, I would not store the uniforms in the plastic. This may cause condensation to build up inside the plastic and then further could deteriorate the uniform. A dehumidifier would most likely be needed in a situation where there is a lot of dampness.

For long term storage I use garment bags and them I use cedar chips and moth balls to keep the uniforms safe..

Leigh

What Leigh said x 2, plus eventually as uniforms (i.e. hanging textiles) age, there is a lot of evidence especially with the older artifacts, that the downward pressure on the garment at the shoulders pressed against hangars can and will cause damage, particularly with the finer fabrics.

So, I was taught to put some soft neutral pH padding on each upper hangar arm so as to lessen that risk.