Help ID this plane?

316th FS 324th FG

316th FS 324th FG

Ok guys, looking for some thoughts here. This a photo taken somewhere in NE France (Likely Dole, Luneville or Nancy) in Winter 44/45.

Any thoughts on the kind of aircraft? It looks like a Stinson L-5. But, why would an AAC officer take this photo of a common US plane (and one he flew from time to time). Which makes me think its is a Fiesler Storch.

Thoughts?

post-2463-1204675396.jpg

316th FS 324th FG

Thanks guys. Then the best I can figure is that it was their CO as he had his own L-4 that he used to get back and forth to Wing in Nancy etc.

Thanks guys. Then the best I can figure is that it was their CO as he had his own L-4 that he used to get back and forth to Wing in Nancy etc.

I agree. I researched wartime service of the 90th ID airmen. L-craft pilots had no so many opportuities to be photographed, to be in media, to be appreciated by the military VIPs. Every pic taken was for them important relic of their war effort because they were not P-47 aces from the first columns of press though they were normal and well educated pilots. Observation and liaison flying have never been appreciative subject for media so I understand those pilots they took a photo every time when they could document their presence at war.

Regards

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

L-4's were loved by our guys and hated by the Germans. When an L-4 was overhead, that meant a batalion of artillery could dump on you at a moment's notice. They wouldn't shoot at the Grasshoppers because their few bullets would be answered by a ton of HE. It is said that the only SINGLE aircraft that could dump more ordnance on a position at one time were the two atomic bombers.

There is the possibility that the Army officer took the photo because that L-4 had just saved his unit's bacon.

Tom thumbsup.gif