Items from a 97th ID veteran

Bones

As stated Bob was a member of the 97th Infantry Division. Bob does not talk about the war. He experienced some things that he does not want to remember. I bought these items from his brother. Bob was in need of a newer car and the funds from this sale funded a portion of it. The 97th ID was a late arrival in the ETO so after VE day they were shipped right home and then loaded on a ship for the Pacific. At the end of hostilities they were still on the boat going to the Phillipines. They ended up in Japan for the occuptation. This should explain why he brought back items from both theaters. The pistol is a Sauer M38. Has the eagles on it as does the holster. There is also a Mauser rifle cleaning kit, and the large Kreigsmarine flag marked from Holland. The Japanese swords are interesting. The shorter one is cut down to army regulation size which pretty much ruined the value. Still neat in my opinion. The other sword I think is an officers sword, the hand guard is cut out. The rifle is a home guard end of war special, the stock looks like it was whittled from a 2x4. Has a nice mum on it though. The Japanese flag behind Bob's picture and the other one are real light material. I think they are civilian flags. Bob is still alive and doing well. I see him from time to time.

post-736-0-00315100-1359157921_thumb.jpg

Cool grouping.Glad you're taking care of these items from a brave man.

Next time you see Bob please tell him thank you for his service.