GARY POWERS U-2

BEAST

I was in Moscow in the mid-1980s. While there I went to the Central Armed Forces Museum and on display was part of the wreckage of Gary Powers U-2. It was interesting (and a little unnerving) seeing the wreckage on display and knowing that your country was on display as the enemy threat. Also on display was exhibits on Vietnam and Grenada. If I can find the photos of these displays, I will post them.

Here is a good website for more information and better photos:

http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/history/q0013.shtml

Sorry about the quality, but I used slide film and these are scans from the slide.

post-203-1204668456.jpg

Hello,

You are lucky man not forced to hear through decades what a devil Gary Powers was and from what satan's country. :huh:

Best regards :)

Greg

IMPERIAL QUEST

Photographic proof that communists (yes they are still communists, don't let them fool you) have no organizational, or aesthetic talents. I think if I were in charge of creating a propaganda-based display, I would at least have organized the parts in a less haphazard manner. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Last year was 30th anniversary of Gary Powers' death. Is he still remembered by the Americans and your media? Were there any TV reports dedicated to him in his 30th anniversary of fatal accident in helicopter?

yes they are still communists, don't let them fool you

I agree unfortunately.

Best regards

Greg

Hello,

Last year was 30th anniversary of Gary Powers' death. Is he still remembered by the Americans and your media? Were there any TV reports dedicated to him in his 30th anniversary of fatal accident in helicopter?

I agree unfortunately.

Best regards

Greg

Greg,

I don't remember any mention on the anniversary of his death. Maybe there was something on the history channel, but the U-2 incident is just a minor footnote in American history. I doubt that it is even mentioned in school texts unless it is at the university level.

I don't remember any mention on the anniversary of his death. Maybe there was something on the history channel, but the U-2 incident is just a minor footnote in American history. I doubt that it is even mentioned in school texts unless it is at the university level.

Hello BEAST,

The same situation is in Polish TV. Nothing about him since we came back in 1989 to all the highest values of the 2nd Republic of Poland of interwar and WWII period. It ought to be a counterbalance however at least in ex-WarPac countries if primitive propaganda accused Powers of all possible things as well as the CIA that it murdered him.

Thanks for info, regards

Greg

Photographic proof that communists (yes they are still communists, don't let them fool you) have no organizational, or aesthetic talents. I think if I were in charge of creating a propaganda-based display, I would at least have organized the parts in a less haphazard manner. :rolleyes:

Don't underestimate the propagandistic value of making your enemy's 'cutting edge' technology (current or past) look like nothing more than a pile of junk...

I doubt that it is even mentioned in school texts unless it is at the university level.

I dunno what they're teaching today, but I recall mention of Gary Powers in both middle school and high school. (I graduated from HS in '90) I also remember having a rather lengthy discussion about Powers' shoot-down with my 11th grade history teacher... albeit in a study hall. But I think his interest in the subject stemmed mainly from the fact that he was ex-USAF.

Most young folk I run into today couldn't care less about this stuff...

Fade to Black...

So ironic that he survived being shot down by the Soviets but died in a helicopter crash while covering the news in Los Angeles.

He posthumously received the Distinguished Flying Cross.

I dunno what they're teaching today, but I recall mention of Gary Powers in both middle school and high school. (I graduated from HS in '90) I also remember having a rather lengthy discussion about Powers' shoot-down with my 11th grade history teacher... albeit in a study hall. But I think his interest in the subject stemmed mainly from the fact that he was ex-USAF.

Most young folk I run into today couldn't care less about this stuff...

Fade to Black...

Gary Powers has always been big symbol of fighting against an Evil Empire as President Ronald Reagan called USSR. I am afraid that in a decade or two he will be forgotten totally.

yes they are still communists, don't let them fool you)

Today there is a report about falsified presidential election in Russia. There were the regions where... 115 percent of citizens took part in the election. Simply Dmitry Medvedev had to win. devil.gif

Gary Powers' era is continued. thumbdown.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I remember I think reading or seeing on TV that he had a cyanide tablet that he was supposed to have taken if ever the U2 he was flying shot down. Is this correct and if so I wonder why he wasn't blackballed by the Govt.

Mike