1903 Springfield Grenade Launcher (Knapp-Monarch)

27thdivision

27thdivision

Hi guys I was out today getting some gun parts for a Japanese Nambu I am cleaning up and my buddy gave me this grenade launch for my 1903 Springfield that I have. it is marked

US RIFLE

30 M 1903A1 and a K M with a lighting bolt through it.

I know a little about this, toss a blank into the chamber put this on the barrel and put the greande on it for the distance you want it. I am just not sure about what era this is wwI or wwII or after. It is not parkerized but blued. It is in pretty good shape also. Does anyone know the value of this? Looks pretty good on my wwI 03.

post-2646-1204668226.jpg

post-2646-1204668245.jpg

Charlie Flick

That pal of your's must be a pretty good friend as that grenade launcher is a very nice accoutrement for any USGI small arms collection.

It was made by Knapp-Monarch (K-M) during WW2. The WW1 launchers were a cup style of launcher that followed a French design (the VB grenade launcher), and were quite different.

Don't try to fire it using a blank cartridge. It uses a special rifle grenade cartridge to launch the grenade.

HTH.

Regards,

Charlie Flick

27thdivision

Thanks! I couldnt really find anything on the net about it. I gave him some 7.62 x 39 ammo for a sks and some 9mm rounds. He runs a pawn/gun store and does some gunsmitting for me. I guess I got a good deal! It is about time :)

Well you did real good on the trade thumbsup.gif . Those 03 launchers are scarce and when ever they come up for sale by folks who know what they are and sell for. They bring anywere from $600 to $800 with a line of buyers at those prices.

I have two. here's my little story about my first one I bought, us old guys, like Charlie and me, always like to tell stories as we have nothing better to do, anyway, going back 6-7 years ago, I spotted one on a table at a large military show as the guy was setting up. The guy wanted $350 for it and would not come down one cent as he said he had a lot of guys that will want it. I didn't buy it then but thought about it all night and went back to get it the next morning. The guy wasn't at the table but had a fish net type cover over his stuff where you could still see all his items. Well I circled the table for a half hour until he came and told him I would take it. It's a good thing I was first to see him as I found out later that there were a number of guys that saw it and wanted it and were watching for him also. Now that was about top dollar for one at the time. However next year I found one on a table for $175. Must people don't realise what they are worth like the 2nd fellow I got the less expensive one from and the one you got from your buddy, Ray