B-3 jacket - need your help!

memphis_belle

memphis_belle

I know very little about flight clothing so I thought you could help me out with this one. I bought this B-3 jacket at an auction few days ago. I'm not sure whether it's a reproduction or an original one but I only gave 50$ for it. Leather is a bit worn out with some tears here and there, the zipper is made by Talon, buckles are a bit tarnished. The label says: Linea Sportiva by Leonardo and size is 50 (small/medium). I was trying to find some info on this company but with no success, I think it doesn't exist anymore. Also, the jacket has two front pockets. Can someone explain me why some of B-3 jackets have one pocket and other two? I hope you can help me to identify what I have.

Thank you !

post-105115-0-10714800-1359133318_thumb.jpg

post-105115-0-46137200-1359133337_thumb.jpg

post-105115-0-15451200-1359133366_thumb.jpg

AAF_Collection

Hi Emi,

I'm sorry to say but it's not an original B-3,it looks like a post war civilian jacket styled along the lines of a B-3/Irvin.

Matt.

this is my first post, but on any military jacket the first thing to look for is, the label. It should identify the type of coat, like

TYPE B-3

then the contract or drawing number. If it has those things at least you know you have either an authentic or a pretty nice reproduction.

THen it should have the manufacturer in there and that will let you research who made it. If it doesnt have a mgfr name then it was a small

contract or a lesser reproduction.

THe other thing as in this coat you need to know what the exterior and interior construction is like. For instance on this B-3 it should only have the

one pocket as in the pic by Sabrejet. THe AirForce didnt like us to stand around with our hands in our pockets, so that one pocket is for a tool or

a map. On the A2, the pockets aren't arranged so that you can easily put your hands in there and rest. You should be doing something!

There is a website thats called Vintageleatherjackets.org that will give you all the info you will ever need on any jacket leather or nylon or cotton.