Goretex Cold Weather Pants Question.

ChopperGunner92

ChopperGunner92

I have a question about the goretex cold weather pants. I have a pair of them, and they appear that they are kind of thin. Are these meant to be worn with a liner or without one? I know the goretex is waterproof and windproof. I will really appreciate any help. Thank you

Personally I think Goretex is great, however it's meant to be worn as the outer layer. By itself it won't keep you warm as it's very thin, however if you've got a bunch of layers underneath it it's not bad, at least that's what I've found out from my personal experience with it.

Personally I think Goretex is great, however it's meant to be worn as the outer layer. By itself it won't keep you warm as it's very thin, however if you've got a bunch of layers underneath it it's not bad, at least that's what I've found out from my personal experience with it.

I sent my brother a set of the GI issue goretex and he swears by it for hunting and fishing in the rain, but yeah, when it's cold you need insulation underneath.

The brown bear suit was the first layer designed to be worn under the Woodlands suit. Then the black polar fleece replaced the brown suite. Both styles can be found on ebay cheap and they are warm.

Basically what everyone said is accurate. I was stationed at Fort Wainwright, Alaska so I know a bit about these and was issued Gen I and then Gen III. the Gen I BDU ones were warm as long as you had the polypros on underneath it. These polypros were a dark brown color and I believe there were two weights of cloth as well. The Gen III was a nice improvement with two weights of polypros as well. The Gen III are the light tan color ones pictured above, with the thicker one being used most often during the coldest months and the thinner one being used towards the beginning and end of winter when ECWCS was the mandatory uniform.

For my unit what you would normally see was the polypro tops and bottoms, and the outer layer jacket and pant as the standard uniform. You would never see anyone wearing the blueish gray top pictured in 'level 3' and NEVER saw anyone wearing level 7 because that was rated for -50 below (iirc) and even in those conditions we still wore the 'standard' I mentioned above. Also a part of our uniform was the mittens that were initially green with yellow leather pads and eventually ACU pattern ones. We had to wear those bad boys all the time during the winter and if your hands got cold you took your regular gloves off, and stuck your bare hand into those mittens to warm up.