Zippo from CVA 42 USS Franklin D. Roosevelt

siling

Ladies and gentlemen, I ask for your help. I have zippo from 1983 in my collection . This is a gift from the commander of an aircraft carrier to pilot, who has done 233 000 landing. I'd like to know from which the squadron was the pilot and the plane which flew.

Might be able to get in contact with him? Thanks in advance - Jack

post-8179-0-52703200-1359108907.jpg

post-8179-0-26259300-1359108914.jpg

That amount of landings would take 32 landings per day, every day of the year, for 20 years. I would not think this lighter was presented to a pilot. Maybe the 233000 was the number of landings made on the FDR since commission? Perhaps too, the lighters were presented to all of ship's company or to those directly involved with flight deck operations. Regardless it is a nice Vietnam era lighter. keith

This is a gift for 233000 landing on the aircraft carrier, That's right - in 1973 the aircraft carrier CV 42 was included 180,000 landings. This particular 233 thousand landing of the aircraft carrier made a concrete pilot - Lt. J.K. Scott. I suppose that it belonged to Carrier Air Wing 6. How can I find it? Jack

This is a gift for 233000 landing on the aircraft carrier, That's right - in 1973 the aircraft carrier CV 42 was included 180,000 landings. This particular 233 thousand landing of the aircraft carrier made a concrete pilot - Lt. J.K. Scott. I suppose that it belonged to Carrier Air Wing 6. How can I find it? Jack

OK, that makes sense. The recipient of the lighter was the pilot who made the 233000th landing. I was on a carrier before your lighter and our aircraft belonged to CAG9, (Carrier Air Group 9). Perhaps Google CAG6 or Carrier Air Group 6 instead of Carrier Air Wing. A more certain way of finding this pilot would be to find a FDR cruise book from that year as the books usually list all of the units onboard and a photographic roster. Here is a reprint of the 1975 Cruise book available on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Reprint-Yearbook-Franklin-Roosevelt-Cruise/dp/B009AZEDPY/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1359127653&sr=1-1&keywords=cv+42+cruise

Another possibility would to see if your local library can find you a copy of the 1975 cruise book. Here our libraries have a "Lending Library" where they can get a book from any library for you to read and then it is returned to the source. Good luck.

Jacek, I found him in the FDR 1975 cruisebook, he's the only Lt with this nameanf initial in the wing, and I had a look in the 1971 navy register, he was a 1315 Ltjg (Naval Aviator USNR).

Best croc