Ohio Military Society Museum

mvmhm

• 1 month later...

I believe I visited the museum when I lived in Ohio. Do you know what happened to the private museum near Youngstown,the owner died a few years ago and I wonder what happened to his collection

Garandomatic

How many of those pieces are original, would you say? The VN POW pajamas have got to be a very scarce item here. Pretty wild to see Ron Rosser's uniform!

I think pretty much the only reproductions are the RevWar items and the War of 1812 clothing. Apparently Mr. Rosser had several MoHs because there's one at the statehouse and another at Motts Military Museum I believe. The POW artifacts are nice, and the person who wore/donated them had passed away not too long before I took the pictures. One of our volunteers is the widow of MoH recipient Joseph G. LaPointe Jr., and she's loaned them his other medals (she retains the MoH) as well as some personal items and a set of jungle fatigues. I'm hoping some day she will bring those back to Dayton so I can display them. She's loaning my the Medal of Honor for my display at the Vietnam 50th commemoration at the Ohio Statehouse later this month.

Mark sends

I believe I visited the museum when I lived in Ohio. Do you know what happened to the private museum near Youngstown,the owner died a few years ago and I wonder what happened to his collection

Sorry, no idea about that.

Mark sends

Very nice collection. It is amazing what shows up in local museums. Thank you for sharing.

Revolutionary war uniforms like the tan one in your first photo were common in Pennsylvania and Ohio. They were referred to as a rifleman's frock or rifleman's coat. They were made to be worn in the damp woods, with reinforced shoulders that protected from both rain and brambles. The fringe was to draw off wetness so the coat would dry faster.

We wore something similar to this a uniform for my fife and drum corps right around the Bicentenial.

• 1 month later...

About once a year I hear a rumor that this museum is not doing well financially and is on the brink of closing. Last I heard was that they were? They don't list any hours on their website. Someone let me know if this is not true.

The majority of his collection was sold to a collector in Florida. The rest has been sold off to various collectors.

Yes it is in Port Clinton. I haven't been there yet (it is pretty new). I also highly recommend MAPS Air Museum in Akron.

One other thing of note about this museum is that they have a lot of Medal of Honors from all eras. I think 13 in total? I may be off on that number, but it is pretty close.

• 8 months later...

This past Saturday a member of the Museum went to American Legion Post 44 and had Robert R. Scott's US Navy Uniform with the Congressional Medal of Honor on it in honor of the anniversary of Pearl Harbor. The last surviving Pearl Harbor survivor living in Stark County, where the Museum is located was at Post 44. My Junior ROTC Unit participated in a Colorguard. I'm planning to go to the Museum possibly soon, I wasn't disappointed when I first visited and gurrantee that its been changed and hope to see some new items on display!

D

• 2 years later...

Update on the Ohio Military Museum In Massillon Ohio.The museum closed in October 2015 and all the contents were moved to the MAPS Air Museum on the west side of the Akron Canton airport. The museum has officially become a part of MAPS and is being curated by the same dedicated group of volunteers. All items are presently in storage while an area is being built out and display cases built to house this great collection.

The opening of the new museum area is tentatively Fall or Winter 2016 but subject to change due to most work is done by volunteers and things don't always go as quickly as planned. Regardless, if the OMM is open or not the MAPS museum itself is a great place to visit. MAPS has about 45 aircraft on display dating from pre- WW! up to an F-14 and an F-16 and a lot in between. The Maps Air Museum also has a Gallery Of Heroes featuring groupings and displays, mostly of veterans with local connections and library/research area. Access to the aircraft restoration area is available on request.

Two great museums are now together.

Tinmanusaf

Ref.: post 05 April 2013 Vietnam Memorial

I believe this may be referencing the Ohio Veterans Memorial Park at Clinton, Ohio near Canal Fulton. This park is great, it has memorial walls for Ohio Vets for Viet Nam, Korea and other wars and conflicts. The park features fountains, an eternal flame,a helicopter on a poll and much more,

It's been awhile since I've been there and the name may not be exactly as I posted but it is close.The people running the park seem to be very dedicated and continue to add and improve.

This park is not far from the Maps Air Museum at the Akron Canton airport, both venues would make a very nice day to honor all Vets, learn and enjoy.

Tinmanusaf