Multicam - Complete finds?

RedLegGI

Hey guys I've found I'm particularly fond of multicam and have acquired a few sets. What I've noticed so far is that finding patches on the issue/surplus uniforms is very hard and rare to find. What I do normally find is the patching material in the pockets. I'm just wondering what you guys tend to find on the ones you have picked up?

Dent

The patching material is for repairs. Even finding insignia with the uniforms near Ft Bragg is difficult. Velcro makes it easy to use on multiple uniforms and you don't necessarily need four sets of it, especially given the price of velcro patches these days. Drop me a PM on what you're looking for and I'll see what I can find around here.

The patching material is for repairs. Even finding insignia with the uniforms near Ft Bragg is difficult. Velcro makes it easy to use on multiple uniforms and you don't necessarily need four sets of it, especially given the price of velcro patches these days. Drop me a PM on what you're looking for and I'll see what I can find around here.

I kind of realized getting in to this the tapes would be the hardest to find. My name tapes while I was in lasted forever and went from uniform to uniform without issue. It seems that ebay is starting to get some patches in singles and small groups so I see this trend continuing. I'll be sure to drop you a line

I've found several multi-cam uniforms locally but only enough insignia to outfit one jacket. From pictures I've seen it wasn't uncommon -- especially when multi-cam was first issued -- to use the standard foliage green insignia.

I've found several multi-cam uniforms locally but only enough insignia to outfit one jacket. From pictures I've seen it wasn't uncommon -- especially when multi-cam was first issued -- to use the standard foliage green insignia.

Interesting observations about the nametapes. I figured that depending on the situation, there might be circumstances of ACU tapes being used on uniforms. Although I haven't seen it on nametapes/armytapes yet, I did see an occurrence of a SGT Rank, on a backpack which lends some plausibility to it. I'm hoping to acquire some more that have the tapes still attached. I've also come to the conclusion that the flags used are all IR and that any multicam ones are not authorized. Pending seeing it on uniforms or hearing it from guys that were there, its pretty solid.

• 1 year later...

The problems that you are running into obtaining patches and nametapes stems from the length a serviceman wears the uniform as well as how many he is issued. When I was issued MULTICAM in FEB 2012 we were only given one unit patch and 3 US Nametapes and 3 Nametapes. Shortly before we redeployed we were issued another unit patch to serve as our combat patch. You were able to order additional tapes and patches through RFI but most of us didn't because there was no need. And then a week after we redeployed we stopped wearing the uniforms. I am guessing that most of the uniforms you come across are from Soldiers that are ETSing or just don't want to have 30 uniforms at their house, especially ones they aren't authorized to wear in garrison. They usually keep the tapes and patches because most surplus shops around Army Posts are not interested in them and will not pay for them. If you want a complete set of Tapes and Patches, best to try and go straight to the vets.

CNY Militaria

When we switched from ACU to OCP I Afghanistan, circa Feb 2011, many of us did not have the OCP insignia to accompany the new uniforms. We were instructed to wear ACU insignia with the multicam until our new ones came in. Also of note, in September 2010, when 10th Mountain deployed, they were wearing DESERT color shoulder sleeve insignia with their OCP issue.

Johnny Signor

I have yet to see one piece of Multicam yet in my area (Florida) it must be more out of state ..................................

• 3 weeks later...

Got a nice 101st off Ebay this week. It was missing its nametape and ISAF patch but when it got to the house the ISAF was in the pocket :D

• 3 weeks later...

I've seen some Multicam jackets and pants at the local salvation army. It was very well worn with no signs of patches from what I remember. There were a ton of woodland BDUs as well, but also with no patches.

I've seen some Multicam jackets and pants at the local salvation army. It was very well worn with no signs of patches from what I remember. There were a ton of woodland BDUs as well, but also with no patches.

Very nice, thats 'good' news to hear they're ending up at the salvation army now even without the patches.

• 1 month later...

Very nice, thats 'good' news to hear they're ending up at the salvation army now even without the patches.

I picked up three multicam shirts at a Salvation Army thrift store last week during their "half price on everything" day. $7 bucks each and they all had a multicam patch kit in the pockets. All stripped of patches. XL's in good shape. I remember not all that long ago when anything multicam cost a small fortune, so it is nice to pick some up for a reasonable price. BTW, this Salvation Army is located no where near any military installations...

double canister

I got one straight from a local vet. Actually, there were 4 uniform sets (blouse, trousers, long-sleeved camo undershirt) but only one was complete with patches.

I picked up three multicam shirts at a Salvation Army thrift store last week during their "half price on everything" day. $7 bucks each and they all had a multicam patch kit in the pockets. All stripped of patches. XL's in good shape. I remember not all that long ago when anything multicam cost a small fortune, so it is nice to pick some up for a reasonable price. BTW, this Salvation Army is located no where near any military installations...

I got one straight from a local vet. Actually, there were 4 uniform sets (blouse, trousers, long-sleeved camo undershirt) but only one was complete with patches.

Good to hear ya'll are finding stuff. I've actually lucked out a lot the last few trips to my surplus store and they've had tops complete minus maybe a flag or ISAF. Most of it has been velcro but two were the newer sewn on style.

Mercenary25

The OCP uniforms in my area is so easy to find. But I haven't bought any because I haven't found a set with patches. I always check pockets. Occasionally I would find a set with just one SSI or just a name tape, it still doesn't make a complete uniform so I pass on them unless the patch is exciting, I would just separate it from OCP set. I also asked my dealer to keep eyes out for any ACU or OCP sets with patches. He haven't had luck. Soldiers always take them off before turn in or sell it to store.

Many of veterans (friends and from craig's list) had offered to sell me their old ACU or OCP sets, however, when I asked them about making it complete with patches, they said they had only one or two sets of patches that they would keep for themselves due to sentimental value or because they were still active-duty. So naturally I had to pass on them.

The OCP uniforms in my area is so easy to find. But I haven't bought any because I haven't found a set with patches. I always check pockets. Occasionally I would find a set with just one SSI or just a name tape, it still doesn't make a complete uniform so I pass on them unless the patch is exciting, I would just separate it from OCP set. I also asked my dealer to keep eyes out for any ACU or OCP sets with patches. He haven't had luck. Soldiers always take them off before turn in or sell it to store.

Many of veterans (friends and from craig's list) had offered to sell me their old ACU or OCP sets, however, when I asked them about making it complete with patches, they said they had only one or two sets of patches that they would keep for themselves due to sentimental value or because they were still active-duty. So naturally I had to pass on them.

Finding that name tape is usually the hardest thing to acquire. I've passed on many sets because the person won't come off the tape for fear of being 'found out' lol. Its ok, and it doesn't bother me but man its tough.

• 1 year later...

All the MULTICAM I have found has been stripped of insignia..

But last fall, I found a jacket that was not completely empty...

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Very nice! Just before christmas I got one that had some cash in the pocket too :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

All the sets I have are patched. With that said I have gotten them from the vet and they are part of a larger grouping. I have had good luck in the past on Craigslist. These groups are usually pretty large and include a couple duffle bags full of gear and uniforms.

Bob