Financial tips for collectors?

Normandy1944

Have to concur with Tex, a new guy who tries to hard to be buddy buddy and establish connection with me always comes across as a guy who's after something, and I tend to steer clear of them. Time builds trust!

I've been guilty of that in the past. I don't know whether it's a combination of being Southern, being very outgoing IRL and/or just wanting transactions to go smoothly. Some of us just have a hard time restraining ourselves (so the medical staff does that for us). ;) Especially when new to the community. You can ask those on here who have spent more than a little time with me in person; I'm as subtle as a chainsaw.

To add to the answers of the original question, do not go in debt for your collection; do not charge items on a credit card or pull money from an area of your life that will cause problems later. You will regret it. It's tempting...especially when you see something you really want. But find the willpower to resist that temptaion.

I hope you enjoy the hobby!

Kevin

I ALMOST abused the paypal pay later deal for the WWI USMC Blues jacket that was for sale here on the forum the other day. I've been relatively responsible lately, selling stuff to make room for more, so I passed. Pretty darned tempting, and something I am occasionally guilty of on a small scale, but it sure adds up. Never forget that!

I've been guilty of that in the past. I don't know whether it's a combination of being Southern, being very outgoing IRL and/or just wanting transactions to go smoothly. Some of us just have a hard time restraining ourselves (so the medical staff does that for us). ;) Especially when new to the community. You can ask those on here who have spent more than a little time with me in person; I'm as subtle as a chainsaw.

To add to the answers of the original question, do not go in debt for your collection; do not charge items on a credit card or pull money from an area of your life that will cause problems later. You will regret it. It's tempting...especially when you see something you really want. But find the willpower to resist that temptaion.

I hope you enjoy the hobby!

Kevin

collectsmedals

I have been collecting since I was 12, I am 54 now.

My advice is buy things you are really interested in and like, but within a budget that does not make you regret your purchases or causes you financial hardship.

Once you have something in your collection, hang onto it. I have never sold or traded a single piece from my collection in 42 years (I have given away a few over the years to collectors just starting out). I have found that things that were inexpensive and easily found when I was 12 are now expensive and difficult to find. That is how my collection grew and I don't regret the item I let go that now I wish I had kept.

Eventually, after building up as much of a "basic" USAF collection as I could possibly afford, I developed a bucket list of special stuff.

And now I lurk in the shadows on recon, waiting and watching for something to pop up - which it always does.

Don't play catch up with collectors who have been doing it longer, that's a fast way to overspend. Be patient the good stuff will find its way to you when you least expect it.

That's a good point...it's a hobby, not a competition. If I tried to catch up to some of the EGA collectors out there, I'd be broke. Some day I'll build it up but that doesn't need to be today

• 2 years later...
ustpatcher1a

I have a bag of WW2 US Army and USMC items I bought in the late 40's as surplus. I used it while in the Boy Scouts and camping equipment later in college. I researched them and most have the correct dates and makers on them. Their originals, not repros.