Financial tips for collectors?

Normandy1944

I am collecting World War 2 items for 2 years.

However, due to lack of work and money, my collection is small.

I know, that I'll need money to get an collection.

Through my collection, I want to show people around me in the Netherlands, what the US soldiers did for our freedom.

I was wondering if someone has some tips about finance.

Can someone give tips?

Money has been tight here as well. I've been on a pay freeze at school longer than the US Congress has. I have actually started selling a few pieces here and there, and been more active in pursuing bits and pieces to sell to make a buck with. Did very well with a WWII compass and pouch recently, and by moving a few of my pieces, I was able to cover the purchase of a 1917 trench knife, something I had wanted for almost 20 years. If you collection is small, this won't be easy, but it might be helpful as it grows. Look for deals, and categorize your things into "never sell," "might sell," and "will sell." Networking helps, a couple of local collectors have made me very good deals. There has to be a few of you in your country!

Be picky, dont just buy anything that comes along. I started off buying whatever I found & could afford, which made it difficult to save for bigger ticket items.

Some collectors become part-time dealers to support their habbit. I have a separate bank account that I use to buy militaria, and whatever I sell at a profit goes back into that account.

Pick a specific unit/division/theatre etc. and don't pick the 101st :D . Most of us start out buying everything we can get our hands on and then at some point become more specific. Doing this now will help prevent spending a lot of money and ending up with a lot of surplus taking up space.

be a minimalist type collector, dont buy 20 helmets, 30 belts, 20 canteens, etc

be very selective and only buy enough to make a nice small display on your bookshelf

if you find yourself having to box up your collection and put some away in storage, your over spending or buying more than you need

also dont collect anything and everything, focus on the basic items your most interested in or certain time period that interests you

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING until you have looked at thgins for a while and have figured out exactly what you are interested in.

when you do buy, buy the best you cann afford. do not buy a worn out example just to "have one of everything." wait until a good one comes along.

don't buy anything for resale unless you are 110% sure you know exactly what it is and worth (unless so cheap it is almost free).

tell everyone you know you are looking for military items. best way to get things are free- and who knows what is sitting in an attic or basement

do not buy anything until you know exactly what you want, and what it sells for. It is very rare that you find a golden oppertunity that will never come again. You may really want that slightly beat up belt, but if you hold off and save the money, next month you may find an even better one!

offer to work for some dealer for stuff. clean his shop or run errands. you get valuable experience seeing what comes in etc. Same is true if you have any special skills- such as if you know computers offer to make a websiute or list thigns on ebay or whatever.

I am guilty of every buying sin that has even been committed!!

This is my advice, as hard as it my be to follow. BUY QUALITY ITEMS......the best your budget will allow. You will never loose on QUALITY items, and you will always have a collection to be proud of.

You may have to save for awhile, but don't settle for less, you will always find what you want, it will just take a little more time!!

BEST OF LUCK!

Very good advice.

be a minimalist type collector, dont buy 20 helmets, 30 belts, 20 canteens, etc

be very selective and only buy enough to make a nice small display on your bookshelf

if you find yourself having to box up your collection and put some away in storage, your over spending or buying more than you need

also dont collect anything and everything, focus on the basic items your most interested in or certain time period that interests you

tell everyone you know you are looking for military items. best way to get things are free- and who knows what is sitting in an attic or basement

This is a great tip. I've had at least 10 friends and family members who have given me items for free. As a matter of fact, this weekend I'm picking up a bring-back rifle from a distant relative who no longer wants it. A friend of mine, and former boss, gave me all of his grandfather's WWI items, which included a 1917 Trench knife, set of field binoculars and a few other items. Another friend recently gave me all of her father's items from WWII, a lot of which was captured German items.

While you live in the Netherlands, which means US items tucked away in someones attic may be scarce, I'm sure there is other militaria. If it's not something that interests you, and as long as the items aren't given to you under the assumption you'll keep them, you could always sell these items to fund your US collection.

Other than that, I can only echo the comment to purchase quality and not quantity. Although I still don't adhere to this rule 100%...Hi, my name is Eric and I'm an addict..

Focusing your collection really helps. For example if you just collect 4th division it will narrow down your window of buying items.

Also if you see WWII items around for cheap pick it up you can always trade for other items you are looking for.

Find a nice community of collectors and reenactors, you'll be surprised what one persons trash is another ones treasure. Ive traded for a lot of great items through friends or situations where somebody just want to get rid of things.

Hit up the thrift stores, rummage sales and swap meets. Some people just want to get their $2 for selling military junk. Make it work for you.

Good luck!

Leonardo

Thanks for all those tips.

I think they can help me a lot.

I decided to sell all my post-Normandy material, and focus on the US divisions that landed during the invasion.

I bought 2 dress jackets from the 29th infantry, including a medic.

philliephanatic

If you are in the Netherlands, you may want to invest in a metal detector. You could find some nice items, just stay away from anything that is live. And if you find extras, you can sell them to make money to buy other pieces that you want to fill out your collection. I, myself, will always watch a sale of items dug in the Bulge because I some uncles who served there.

Many of us on here are experienced long-term collectors....in my case 30 years and counting. In that time we've amassed large collections, but we all started small. Collections don't happen overnight. In those 30 years I raised a family, paid a mortgage etc and did all of the other normal things which inevitably have a bearing on how much disposable income can be justifiably spent on collecting....sometimes it wasn't much! No collection happens overnight, so be patient and buy wisely...don't over-stretch yourself. My collection began with just a single WW2 rifle belt!

If you are in the Netherlands, you may want to invest in a metal detector. You could find some nice items, just stay away from anything that is live. And if you find extras, you can sell them to make money to buy other pieces that you want to fill out your collection. I, myself, will always watch a sale of items dug in the Bulge because I some uncles who served there.

I have one, but I need a car and a license to visit the drop zones from Market Garden.

Depending on what you call collecting, mine started with a pistol belt at age 9 or so. That was more of a plaything, so I figure my first real collecting was a $40 WWI uniform at about 13. It was honestly not until I was out of college and working that it picked up. Everybody has to start somewhere, and hopefully you can collect and make money in the process, every now and then the things you love can help out your living. A simple idea to put a 4 speed in my old Impala turned into VERY good money (compared to substitute teaching) selling shifter knobs for me for almost 5 years and funded more than a few pieces of my collection. Right place, right time.

I started 12 years ago with a Swiss helmet...and 9 years ago started my USMC collection with a single WWII enlisted cover emblem...trust me, it works itself out

Biggest money saver is "Don't start Collecting" !!!!!!!!!

It's the ruin of us all.

Rich

LOL, So true.Some of the best things you should invest in are

reference books.And like what others have said, be picky.

Good luck with your collection.

I usually buy stuff with money I've made selling stuff, Ive probably spent less then $1,000 dollars over the years on my collection from money I made at work. Buy, sell, trade and buy some more. Collecting is fun!

Be patient,sometimes you win (nice piece at a good price) and sometimes you loose (no way to compete with high end collectors willing to pay crazy amount of money) but anyway if you're not collecting the so called one-of-a-kind items what you cannot get now should sometime in the future show up again

Be choosy-selective about what you want to buy

NEVER STOP Learning and informing yourself about your collecting target.the more you know the easier will be to avoid to be burned by fakers/cheaters and knwoledge is anyway always an advantage

ASK!one of the things that,at least for me,gives sense to collecting is not only owning items but also and even more important to share knowledge opinions and ideas with other fellow collectors from all over the world,and this is one of the right place where to make it!

I guess all these factors will help you to save and invest in the right way your time and money in the long way

There is some great advise here. Bookmark this thread and go back and refer to it every now and then.

I would say that if you are having to ask this question, you are probably not in a position to be collecting (at this time). I have built and sold a few collections in my time and I can tell you that there are spaces in time that it is good to kick back and study. Learn about what you like, and of course the history around the time that you are collecting. Knowledge about what you collect simply can't be overstated. This also allows you to stay involved in the hobby and learn at the same time. This forum and others are great for those down times.

Always remember that family, home, and financial responsibility come first. Do not be compulsive. If you have to ask yourself, "Can I afford this"? Then you probably can't. I have seen so many people over the years dive into collecting, and go on buying sprees only to see all the same items up for sale a few months later due to something "unexpected" that came up. If you are going to get into this, be sure you have a budget that does not take anything away from your home life.

I have been thinking about pinning a thread like this for some time. So you have saved me from doing that. Everything said so far is true. Collections are a growing thing. Remember that "your" collection is exactly that, "YOURS." Collect what you like and do not change because someone thinks your collection is not something they like. Most of us on here that have been doing this for years have worked hard to cultivate friendships and contacts. Those two things allow us to continue to do this hobby. I see new people try to speed up these relationships. You need to take your time, study the hobby and how others do things. Make connections that are based on honesty and generosity. You also need to decide if this is a hobby or a job.

I have been lucky to find stuff at below retail prices. I am selective and have no problem walking away from deals that just don't feel right. Find and establish areas to search for stuff. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose, but always remember there is other things out there. It seems every time I pass on a deal a better one comes around.

Have to concur with Tex, a new guy who tries to hard to be buddy buddy and establish connection with me always comes across as a guy who's after something, and I tend to steer clear of them. Time builds trust!

Great advice in earlier posts. I initially made the mistake of buying whatever I could afford and was in OK condition. Took me some time and money I wish I had now. I suggest considering all the posts above and: decide what you really like; narrow your collecting interest to one or two speciality areas to start; be picky, buy the best item in the best condition considering rarity you can afford; pass on items not on your designated list and wait for items (save your money) and purchase the best quality items you can afford.

Good luck! The collecting virus is a tough one with which to cope. However, there are folks on this forum who will share advice on most anything.