Unknow Medical Jungle kit WWII ?

LOLUSMC

Hello,

I found this kit 20/25 years ago

- OD web, not local made, large web strap and gaiter style strap (patent 1909 on the buckle)

Possible to have 2 parts of the kit, snaped with "united carr" snap.

Tropical use :

- Instruction manual. Write in the back cover "Davis Emergency equipment Co".

- Tubes bakelite US :Aloin compound, Water purification tablets, Phenorbarbital, inconnu et Quinidini.

- big tube metal : Aspirin et Quinine sulfate

- boxes carton parafined : bandage compress 4x4, Triangular bandage, Salt tablets, Eye dressing, Bandage 4x4, Adhesive absobent compresses

- Big tube metal : Sulfaguanidine

- Flaco acid boric

- Tablois carbone

- 50 Tablet purification water X2

- Tabloid soda mint

- 200 Tablet purification water

- Waterproof adhesive plaster

- Aureomycin capsules

- Crystalline Terramycin capsule

- Sodium bicarbonate

- Tubes bakelite US reglo : Atabrine X2

- Paregoric

- Bandage compress 4x4

- Boric acid ointment

- insect powder

- sulfadiazine tablets

post-1723-0-81333200-1358958035_thumb.jpg

looks like two Roll type jungle kits that have put together. Some very rare items included there -some of the items are from the Arctic Medical kit. That's a very neat item to own.

Regards

Rich

looks like two Roll type jungle kits that have put together.

That was my initial thought as well. But if you look at the pockets between the halves, they are not the same. The strap used to close the roll is unique. My feeling is that it is purpose built - but for who or what purpose? Maybe life boat or aircraft?

I looked up Aureomycin and it is a post WW2 med. Granted it could have been added later, but I can't tell which container is that med and everything looks like it is in the correct pocket. Can we get a picture of the instruction sheet?

I have a similar kit that is not quite as complete and have seen another one or two before. I am confident alot of the contents are not original to this kit and are add ons. Everything originally issued with these that I have seen are completely sterile as far as the manufacturer is concerned. Its obvious though that is was made by the Davis Company by the printing on the boxes. Its is similar to the first model jungle kits but much larger. Private issue or OSS maybe???

I was thinking OSS, SOE or a long shot could be Australian SRD/Z Special Unit as much of their equipment was sourced/specially made from GB and US.

I really love this unusual stuff !

So I would still say commercial or OSS use. The original cardboard boxes are not labeled as to origin and have been treated with waterproofing. The instruction booklet seems to hint for use in China or the Orient....

I would agree probably civilian use as it mentions traveler rather than soldier or servicemen. With the references to native habitations and tropical locations, appears it was intended for travelers to "Third World" countries - Pacific, Asia, Africa, South America.

Very cool piece none the less.