SEALs in Vietnam M16 mystery picture

BIGGREG

• 7 years later...
Cap Camouflage Pattern I
On 12/8/2014 at 9:26 AM, puff said:

I've discovered this pic two days ago and I was then very surprise! I can assume with this better quality pic that the handguard is well an A2 one. Probably tested in a very short number in Vietnam...

captur10.jpg

Where did this photo come from, what is it captioned? 

These handguards can be seen on these rifles shown in ARMY magazine's 1967 Green Book, published October 1967. 

127683427_1967GreenBookM16s.png.44efd0a60300835a77fb823ebcef7eb6.png

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

I threw in the towel too early, still have not found the original image but I did find the image the second angle was cropped from.

428-K-74896 "Vietnam…Members of a U.S. Navy Sea-Air-Land (SEAL) team man their weapons as they prepare to come ashore from a river patrol boat (PBR) at an operation site." October 1968. US Navy Photo from the National Archives 

428-K-74896.jpg.f462fbec136d0b2f7d314f06197b54ec.jpg

This is SEAL Team 2 - 9th Platoon (same Platoon than the colour pic, few seconde later). Another one was used among ST-1 Alpha Platoon in 1968-69. This prototype handguard was tested by the Research and Engineering Division of Springfield Armory in 1966, so probably developed in 1966. I assume a handful of those were field tested in Vietnam.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I
4 hours ago, puff said:

This is SEAL Team 2 - 9th Platoon (same Platoon than the colour pic, few seconde later). Another one was used among ST-1 Alpha Platoon in 1968-69. This prototype handguard was tested by the Research and Engineering Division of Springfield Armory in 1966, so probably developed in 1966. I assume a handful of those were field tested in Vietnam.

Thanks!

These were posted on M14forum, unfortunately the poster did not say what report they originated from

download.png

handguard.png

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Not only did I completely overlook it in the Green Book before I stumbled across this thread, but also in this fact sheet for the XM148

752966782_UsArmyFactSheetSept1966WeaponsNo2.png.01ed662444b021e755953a86d92ae806.png

• 4 weeks later...

I have another pic of the same guy taken from behind him that clearly shows the round handguards.

puff, do you have a pic of the round handguard you say was used with Alfa platoon(Dirty Dozen) 68? I have a bunch of pics from the DD series and I haven't seen the round handguards.