2nd Armored Museum, Desert Storm captured vehicles

MattS

Matt, its possible your T-2 came from Ft.Polk. i was there from 85-87 and we had one courtesy of Israel. it ran but very few got to actually see it up close or play on it as the Cold War was still ongoing and they kept it locked up in a fenced maintenance area. I saw it daily on my way to and from work. Scott.

Your keyboard dropped a number, but I think you meant T-62. I bet you are right, I had the feeling it had been in the states for a few years. The comm system had been modified to work with CVC helmets and all the labels were in English. It was a beast to drive and I ruined at least one pair of jeans changing the acid-leaking batteries. Here the T-62 rolls down the road with me at the controls and SFC Stinson in the commander's hatch.

post-32676-0-17585600-1359896642_thumb.jpg

On the day we took the T-72 out for a ride, CW2 Jay Blank drove while I TC'd. A Soviet T-72 on a US Army fort being driven by an AH-64 Apache pilot was an uncommon sight to say the least. Jay had a degree in diesel engineering from Penn State so he was also our mechanic.

post-32676-0-10461000-1359897620_thumb.jpg

Yes I dropped the letter. I bet it was the same tank that was at Ft Polk. Glad to see it still running as I last saw it in 1986. Scott.

How sad is it that I recognize the backgrounds in all your pics? :o The old 2AD HQ became the 4ID HQ before they all went back to Carson, and it is now the 1st Army HQ and the musuem grounds are now 3rd ACR's, although many of the old vehicles are still out there. If ya haven't been to Hood in awhile, you wouldn't recognize it. Heck, I am continously asking "when did that go up" or "when did they build that?" even though I am only a few miles from the place. It has changed that much just in the time I retired in late 07.

why was the type 59 highly radioactive inside?

What I was told was that the Iraqis painted a lot of the interior surfaces with radium-based glow -in-the-dark paint (I guess to improve nighttime visibility of instruments, handles, knobs, etc.) which is the same type of paint used on watch hands and compass needles. I took their word for it and stayed out of that one.

As promised---heres some of that same armor getting washed in Dammam so we could pass customs inspection and get them loaded on the ship---note the little bar coded shipping label---we added that, not the iraqis......

.more to follow,

Al

post-2235-0-64581200-1360420886.jpg

post-2235-0-67083300-1360420896.jpg

I'll have to dig through my photos. I was on the "forward detachment", left beind in SA to washrack and get customs checks on the units rolling stock. To include the captured victors, and I found myself getting OJT on being an M88 driver whie towing a T72 and later, a ZSU to the loading docks.

• 3 weeks later...

Matt, its possible your T-2 came from Ft.Polk. i was there from 85-87 and we had one courtesy of Israel. it ran but very few got to actually see it up close or play on it as the Cold War was still ongoing and they kept it locked up in a fenced maintenance area. I saw it daily on my way to and from work. Scott.

I think I remember the one at Ft Polk, I believe I saw it at the main maintenance depot. What unit were you with , B 3/10 Inf (M) 81-83

• 2 weeks later...

Just a few. I had tried taking some, but this was back in the days when you didn't know how your photos turned out until they came back from the developer, and most were black. I have interior photos of the BMP and MTLB but not of the tanks. This is the rear troop area of the BMP-1, left side looking forward all the way to the driver's compartment.

post-32676-0-42597900-1363896100.jpg

BMP-1, right rear troop area. The cans attached to hoses were supposed to be fitted onto AKs to extract gases during firing from inside the vehicle.

post-32676-0-08366800-1363896268.jpg