My 55 Years of Collecting

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those uniforms are great to see.

Are they unissued, or were they used in the war?

Are there more airborne related objects in your collection?

Looking to buy D-Day and 101st/82nd related groupings

Doolittle Raider Jacob DeShazer: 'If you declare with your mouth, 'Jesus is Lord', and believe in your heart that God raise Him from the dead, you will be saved (Romans 10:9)

donation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Those uniforms are great to see.

Are they unissued, or were they used in the war?

Are there more airborne related objects in your collection?

The USMC herringbone twill uniform is unissued. I had been looking for a very long time for one and a friend of mine who is really into USMC items.found the uniform at a show. He called me and described the item to me. I said how much and it was $500.00 several years ago. I said okay but it better be original and in mint condition or I'm going to be a real unhappy camper. When I got it, it was in mint condition and the real mccoy........I was waiting for someone to comment on the this, wondering if it is an original. As for the other items I found them over time and at different places and then when I got the uniform I put the display together.

The holster I got at a show from a guy that had a large box of holsters all thrown in a box. I rumaged through the box and found the USMC holster dated 1945. None of the other holsters were worth much money. Some of the best buys I've found are from people who have just throw things together. Sometimes rumaging through things that don't look like there is anything of value there, you can pick up some real treasures and bargains.

As for the airborne, I have one really nice airborne grouping and serveral of the airborne paratrooper helmets. I showed the helmets in a earlier picture and then I also showed the helmet in with the jump jacket pictures.

Take care.

oldtimecolletor

The only 2 words that come to mind right now are Stunning and Incredible..

Thank you for sharing your collection with us all. You have a remarkable collection.

Correction 3 words. Remarkable...

Leigh

"Pain is only Weakness Leaving the Body"

MSG Leigh E Smith Jr
US Army (Retired)

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

Yes, I do have hundreds of books. I just bought another reference book on Ebay the other day. I read almost every day, and mostly reference books. I've always been afraid of buying something, no matter how bad I wanted the item, until I had read and researched the item. Then when I made the purchase, I felt confident that I was buying the real McCoy so to speak. I'm still that way today. I get calls from collectors about different items, and they never want to buy the reference books. Take care,

What would be the oldest dated period reference book you have, 1890s or so, post Great War, how about those old catologs from way back when, you have any of them, they were-are a great source of info, oh what's the name of that one, Banners, Bannons, Bannington, damn I can't remember :D:lol:

Can someone please tell me how I send a private email to the administrator of the forum?

Thanks.

Click on the profile of any Forum Administrator and then look for the button (on the right side) that says "Send me a message". Is there something specific you need?

RC

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

*Sherlock Holmes in "A Scandal in Bohemia"*

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif
donation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

A while back someone asked if I would post some close up pictures of my Model 1902 General's hat. Someone else asked me where was one of my more remarkable treasure finds. Well I have to say one of the best treasure finds, is this General's hat. About 20 years ago or so, I walked into an antique mall and there in a glass case was this Model 1902 General's hat. I have to assume the dealer must have recently put the hat in the display case. I was lucky enough to come in and buy the hat before anyone else saw the hat. Now days you can't hardly find anything in antique or antique malls that is military related. Dealers put it on Ebay, even though most of them are clueless as to what they really have to sell.

I hope you enjoy the pictures.

post-1972-0-17353500-1359945061.jpg

oldtimecolletor