My 55 Years of Collecting

oldtimecollector

oldtimecollector

Okay, here are some more of my items. I will start with my Springfield carbines. Can you tell I like Springfields? This picture is a model 1879 and 1884.

post-1972-0-19770300-1358987617_thumb.jpg

oldtimecollector

The top is a Model 1899 Krag carbine and below is the Model 1898 Krag Saddle Ring carbine. The bottom is a Model 1895 Variant Saddle Ring carbine. I have been to Little Big Horn Battlefield. My wife and I went there a couple of years ago and I was told that there was a man there that gives personal tours. We found him. I was in seventh heaven. He took us on an extended tour. Something I will always remember.

post-1972-0-36160000-1358988061_thumb.jpg

oldtimecollector

I hope I'm not boring you with pictures. Some of you have asked about my A-2 jackets. I have collected them over the years. I do have history on most of my A-2's. As with everything else I got these jackets over time and some from collector's selling their jackets and others were picked up directly from the vet. The history on all my items means the most to me. As I'v mentioned I am a history buff. Hardly a day goes by without reading reference books or history books.

oldtimecollector

This case is all Civil War items. After collecting the rifles I started on collecting Civil War, Indian War and Spanish-American War items. I had been looking for a really good Civil War Forage Cap for for many years and I couldn't find one that was in good enough condition. Three years ago I was at the Kansas City National Gun Show and I found one in really nice condition. I purchased it and the seller and I became friends. As we both shared love of Civil War history.

post-1972-0-14437300-1358989670_thumb.jpg

post-1972-0-39578600-1358989834_thumb.jpg

oldtimecollector

Some of you have asked to see a close up of my General's hat. I did have a picture stored in my computer. So here is my 1902 General's hat along with a 1902 Officer's hat, a 1895 Cavalry and 1895 Officer's hat. The hat on the far left is a 1899 Campaign hat.

post-1972-0-79673400-1358990683_thumb.jpg

oldtimecollector

Again thanks for all of the great comments on my collection. It's nice to have communciation with other collector's that have the same collections and can appreciate our history. Many brave people have died to keep our country safe. My feeling is there isn't a better way to honor those brave men and women who serve our country every day and in the past, than to collect a part of our history.

I have subscribed...I dont want to miss anything, this is amazing. Your 19th Century items, especially the Cav items are beyond words.

Please dont think you are boring us with photos...we can never get enough ! So please Sir, continue :)

Thank you from Australia

Sean

A perfect example of quantity AND quality combining into one outstanding collection! Thanks so much for injecting some new and fascinating photos into the display section of the forum!

As someone that may very well be around your son's age, it saddens me to know that he doesn't share your interest in Militaria. I only wish my own father would would have developed his interest in Civil War collecting more than he did - back in the days when this kind of thing was relatively cheap.

oldtimecollector

I tried everything to get my son interested in collecting. I tried helping him to collect money, sports cards, just about anything a young person might enjoy collecting however, he just wasn't interested. True collectors have it in their blood, so to speak. I've come to realize you can't make a collector they have to have that passion and drive for collecting. I really wished he would have had it. However, on the flip side of things. When I married my wife 45 years ago, she hated history. Over the pass several years she has become quite knowledgable in WW 2 items. She has read reference books and we've continually discussed items over the years. It's a good feeling to know if something would happen to me that she would be able to sell my items. My biggest fear is that the items don't get back into collectors collections. As a collector we want that history to go on and on.

ww2relichunter

i know what you mean when i was two i started collectiong rocks and over the past sixteen years i have collected rocks shells fossils bottles stamps coins clay pipes sea glass and militaria since 11 i still collect coins and stamps but militaria is my big thing. but not one of my family cares as much as i do about the best they will do is buy me stuff on holidays no compaining and my dad helps me store and protect and research but its not really his thing he just likes too help

Great collection and the guns are awesome and beatiful!! - I wish I would have started collecting earlier in my life but better later then never -

Without people like yourself and your wife collecting these historic pieces, it would be lost and that would be a crime!!

oldtimecollector

I am going to a show this weekend. I will try the following weekend to show a closer view of my uniforms on racks. Space is narrow, but I will see what I can do. Thanks again for your nice comments.