Navy Chaplains Helmet

Sparty On

This is my latest aquisition, a front seam, swivel bail, USN helmet with an ID'd Capac liner to a Mouton RE. I was told by Troy (forum member) that USMC and NAVY often wrote their last names first followed by the first and second initials. I would like to know what other members think. More importantly I'd like to verify if the name on the liner is indeed a USN Chaplain from WW2 (or other war). I've never initiated a search like this, can anyone offer some starting suggestions?

post-104736-0-50575600-1358917290.jpg

Is the cross actually painted on or done with a permanent marker pen? It's a WW2 shell with a 50s liner and 70s sweatband. The navy guys on the forum have often described the "re-cycled" ship-board helmets they used, so a mix of parts is not unusual.

Navy lids are notorious for multiple reuses. So, someone can use it for a Chaplain and later it gets matched up with a different liner and someone elses name. I am concerned that the name is written on the sweatband. This is an unusual place to put it since a little sweat and wear would have it rubbed off in no time. I can't find anything in my information on the name either.

USMC-RECON0321

I agree. I think the liner was added by someone after the shell found it's way into the civilian market, especially with the headband in backwards.

So...

The liner aside though, The shell is interesting and I like the look of it. Has anyone ever seen the use of a blue cross? Or could it be just what was available at the time? I have seen other Navy helmets in a darker blue color, like the cross.

Yeah, I like the helmet, I'd sperate the liner from it since I don't believe they were ever really together in military use. All the liner does is render questions, not answers.

Assuming my PC is showing the correct color of the helmet shell I would say it is of the Vietnam - Cold War period.

Larry

I'm getting the same color also Larry. You can also see the remnant of some apple green showing through the gray so, I think this really places it in the 'nam time frame.

I sent a request to NARA to see if the name has any relation with a Chaplain. We'll see if anything results from it. The color of the helmet is a light grey. It has clearly been painted over as you can see from the photos that green paint is exposed on the front.