INSIGNIA,BOS,SCARF,BIB-TYPE

capt.maddog

The U.S. Army Japan patch on what must be a White Scarf. Soldier is one Larry Faulkner circa 1954. A highly decorated WWII and Korean War Vet, 39th Inf 9th Div, 279th Inf, 45th Div Korea. He lost an eye in Korea, must be a glass one in the photo of him he's holding, Faulkner, despite the one eye stayed on active duty retiring in 1962, I guess as a Sgt/Maj.

post-34986-0-21029200-1441073791.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Major General, most likely the division commander, inspecting senior NCO's of the 3rd Armored Division. All are wearing some variation of the bib. The sergeant on the far right has Infantry blue while the next two in line are wearing Armor yellow. The Master Sergeant on the far left has a camouflaged bib which the officers also seem to be wearing.

post-1761-0-04187000-1445212941.jpg

Major General, most likely the division commander, inspecting senior NCO's of the 3rd Armored Division. All are wearing some variation of the bib. The sergeant on the far right has Infantry blue while the next two in line are wearing Armor yellow. The Master Sergeant on the far left has a camouflaged bib which the officers also seem to be wearing.

That there is Major General Johnny R. Pugh Sean, commanded the 3rd Armd Div then, he also more importantly was a POW from the Philippines, he was a staff officer in the Filipino Army's I Corps.

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/jrpugh.htm

Here,s amother foto of Pugh from them days, foto is self explanatory, though I can add it's one of the 3rd Armd Div,s Artillery Battalions they're passing in front of at this time.

post-34986-0-72219000-1445219799.jpg

Your next mission Sean, if you choose to take it.... Find an image of Pugh in the 50s wearing some kind of Filipino Army patch as a combat patch, or will it be the Philippines Department patch :D.

That there is Major General Johnny R. Pugh Sean, commanded the 3rd Armd Div then, he also more importantly was a POW from the Philippines, he was a staff officer in the Filipino Army's I Corps.

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/jrpugh.htm

Here,s amother foto of Pugh from them days, foto is self explanatory, though I can add it's one of the 3rd Armd Div,s Artillery Battalions they're passing in front of at this time.

attachicon.gifjfk-in-germany-24-638.jpg

Your next mission Sean, if you choose to take it.... Find an image of Pugh in the 50s wearing some kind of Filipino Army patch as a combat patch, or will it be the Philippines Department patch :D.

Here's another picture of Gen. Pugh wearing a camouflaged bib.

Note in the picture I posted above that he's also wearing a tank qualification patch on his field jacket pocket. I wasn't aware those dated back at least to the early 60's. I thought they were more of a 70's thing. And I also wasn't aware a division commander could qualify for one.

post-1761-0-06283700-1445257963.jpg

Here's another picture of Gen. Pugh wearing a camouflaged bib.

Note in the picture I posted above that he's also wearing a tank qualification patch on his field jacket pocket. I wasn't aware those dated back at least to the early 60's. I thought they were more of a 70's thing. And I also wasn't aware a division commander could qualify for one.

As a guess on his Crew patch, it's possible he, like most hard chargers had his own personal tank, and he and and his crew participated in qualifications, maybe the entire Divisional HHC, those Staffs and others that did have Tanks.

• 5 weeks later...

post-34986-0-78864100-1448167107.jpg

A Multitude of different Branch Scarfs are to be seen here in this late 50s foto of the Massed Colors of the units stationed at Nellingen Barracks West Germany on parade. (Click On Image For Enlarged View)

• 2 weeks later...

post-34986-0-82437500-1449540963.jpgpost-34986-0-79098600-1449541235.jpg

The Red Brick Scarf of the Transportation Corps, and Red Brick Gold rope of the same on Vietnam MIA Walther Demsey Walter E. Demsey Jr. a 67November UH-1 Helicopter Repairer.

Photo I believe taken at the end of his AIT at Fort Eustis Virginia some time in the summer of 1968. He was in the 101st Avn Bn 101st Abn Div (AML) was by then a Spec 4, and went down over the far western end of the A Shau during a return trip from Laos after a Green Beret extract mission in Feb 1971.

Another 508th Pocket Patch sighting (one is seen in post #38)

post-34986-0-66729400-1450203428.jpg

Circa 1958

This GI does not wear the Blue stuff, a non Infantryman, so maybe his scarf is Buff?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Armor yellow bib being worn with fatigues by member's of the Georgia National Guard's 1st Battalion, 108th Armored Regiment of the 30th Infantry Division during annual training at Fort Stewart June 7, 1972. The civilian second from right on the second row is Governor Jimmy Carter. Note the soldiers are not wearing camouflaged helmet covers.

post-1761-0-70762200-1455198440.jpg

Officer of the 48th Armored Division of the Georgia National Guard wearing Armor yellow bib during a division review before Gov. Lester Maddox at Fort Stewart in 1967.

post-1761-0-74629800-1455198548.jpg

Col. Holden C. West, CO of the 3rd Brigade 30th Infantry Division of the Georgia Army National Guard, wearing a camouflaged bib in 1971. To his left is Governor Jimmy Carter.

post-1761-0-70127700-1455198793.jpg

A mid 1950s AD for Scarves, and other stuff. Topper Merchandising here in NYC, it's obviously long gone now, but boy would I love to go back in time and stroll into that place :lol: .

post-34986-0-34905200-1455338022.jpg

• 4 weeks later...