INSIGNIA,BOS,SCARF,BIB-TYPE

capt.maddog

20 hours ago, Any_War_Militaria said:

Thanks for the info. So it’s a PX type item

Yes it was, it was popular as well as the ones made from Parachute camouflage material.

• 1 month later...

I have a question.  I remember wearing the bib type scarf when I was in.  A little snug but tolerable.

So, how did you put on the 9" x 48" long version?  Did you wrap it around your neck so the tails hung down in front, under the shirt/jacket or was there a trick to wearing these?  Just curious.

11 hours ago, MikeL said:

I have a question.  I remember wearing the bib type scarf when I was in.  A little snug but tolerable.

So, how did you put on the 9" x 48" long version?  Did you wrap it around your neck so the tails hung down in front, under the shirt/jacket or was there a trick to wearing these?  Just curious.

Probably worn like a rich man's ascot you know like those guys on the Titanic LOL

Blue-Ascot-Tie-Sport-Coat.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

One Robert A. Powell in an Arty unit in West Germany 1964 Red Bib and all, can't make out the DIs , he's KIA in June 1966 with Battery A 6th Battalion 4th Artillery, a I Field Force Vietnam Artillery Unit.

robert allen powell.PNG

One Robert Allan Washington as a Cadre Instructor at Fort Knox in 1967 Yellow Bib and Marked Liner and all, an 11E Tank Crewman and Silver Star winner. He's KIA in August 1969 with Troop B 1st Squadron 1st Cavalry Americal Division.

Robert Allan Washington.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Maj Gen Bryant Moore wearing a Para Camo Material scarf  in the summer of 45 when he was Commander of the 8th Infantry Division in Germany.

bryant moore 8th div camo.PNG

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A 1979 photo of Maj Gen John Faith Commander 1st Armored Division in West Germany, Faith is wearing a Silk/Rayon Scarf of unknown color as it's B/W this photo, maybe a Dark-ish Green Color??

gen faith.PNG

I've always been fascinated by the camouflage bibs commonly worn in the 50s and 60s but never seen this variety manufactured by Lehigh Helmet Strypes Co. out of Philly. Noticed a few of these on Ebay yesterday for an affordable price and picked one up for reference as the labeling certainly looks to be of the 50s or 60s. Wondering if anyone has ever seen this variety of this bib/scarf or whether any photos in of it in use exist. Notice the label is on the front side of the bib which is no big deal as it's hidden when worn. 

While I'm sharing the below I wanted to ask whether anyone has ever seen a variety of the canouflage parachute variety that was professionally manufactured from salvaged chutes and labeled by a manufacturer or tailor shop. Was there any uniformity of the camo parachute variety even amongst individual units or was it totally a thing a trooper might have made-up on his own?

CamouflageBib4.jpeg.eceef89e38f19b518e7fc52650ea3ca9.jpeg

CamouflageBib5.jpeg.4e34d9068d8a2949f74ea760c6fcb8c4.jpeg

Nice collection otter42! I've never seen this camouflage variety. Is it of a similar crepe silk construction to the more commonly seen spot pattern variety in the same colorway that you also own?

On 9/28/2023 at 8:23 PM, otter42 said:

Here's mine:

20230928_171453.jpg

immurement

We do know companies made Helmet Covers from Para Camo, so we guess it stands to reason some companies Foreign and Domestic made scarfs too.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's another camouflage variety I just picked up off ebay. It looks to be very well made in that both sides, front and back, are the front facing side of the fabric. While it looks to be authentic to the 50s/60s and the colors are similar, this pattern doesn't look like either of the two different types of camouflage parachute canopy I have based on my memory. Any comments or input would be most welcome.

CamouflageBibScarf1-1.jpeg.8cf7b1f8d295a38e012268dca534e3bd.jpeg

CamouflageBibScarf1-3.jpeg.aaea17a6abb5d497059f3f23e6e6d0a9.jpeg

On 10/26/2023 at 12:52 AM, patches said:

immurement

We do know companies made Helmet Covers from Para Camo, so we guess it stands to reason some companies Foreign and Domestic made scarfs too.

Is there a thread you can point out or some photos that prove that companies actually made helmet covers from para camo? Are these para camo covers marked?

Again, has anyone ever actually seen a para camo bib scarf with any sort of commerical markings or tags?

16 hours ago, immurement said:

Is there a thread you can point out or some photos that prove that companies actually made helmet covers from para camo? Are these para camo covers marked?

Again, has anyone ever actually seen a para camo bib scarf with any sort of commerical markings or tags?

post-1726-1272404044.jpg

• 1 month later...

The 24th Infantry Division's 21st Infantry PP, or slightly smaller PP sewn to scarf, hard to tell size of patch really. Infantry Blue Scarf when unit was in West Germany in the 60s

scarf.jpg

scarft.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Samuel T. Williams Commander 25th Inf Div in 1953 in Korea looking snazzy with his Black Painted Steel Pot with a no doubt Yellow Lighting bolt and Rank, and his Scarf with Tropic Lighting patch on it, Scarf maybe Light Blue, can tell obviously.

samuel t williams.PNG

• 2 months later...
patches

14th WAC Band Tab late 50s, 3rd  Army Fort McClellan Alabama, 3rd Army patch sewn to Scarf, Scarf probably White right, just like the unit Rope.

14th Army WAC BAND.jpg

seanmc1114

Finance Corps. The branch colors are silver gray piped with golden yellow. Any idea which of the two colors the bib is?Bib.Finance Corps.1.jpg

patches
On 4/4/2024 at 10:55 AM, seanmc1114 said:

Finance Corps. The branch colors are silver gray piped with golden yellow. Any idea which of the two colors the bib is?Bib.Finance Corps.1.jpg

Silver Grey, Scarfs are in the Branch's Primary Color.

Here's one from the late 60s into the 70s.

fc.PNG