INSIGNIA,BOS,SCARF,BIB-TYPE

capt.maddog

It's hard to tell because this is a black and white photo, but this should be Cavalry/Armor yellow ascot and shoulder chord being worn by an AIT trainee at Fort Knox. Note both collar discs are U.S. He was a tank commander with the 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment killed in action in Vietnam.

http://www.sdvietnamwarmemorial.com/labahndarwin.htm

Interesting, Labahn was KIA on 3 June 1969, a date that fell in the week of 28 May 3 June lists that appear in the LIFE magazine Faces of Death artical, yet he's not shown, this will be a case of his actual death not being reported till the next day or couple of days later.

Two more from the LIFE artical of June 27 1969, we see an Paratrooper in a unit before service in Nam, unit unknown, Blue scarf rope discs, with a Beret, with Tab and Oval, what unit was this???? what color is the beret????

This is the exact image from the Magazine Artical.

attachicon.gif1824_209_141_185_238_149803.jpg

The beret is black. It is exactly like the one worn in the attached picture. This guy was in my father's Infantry NCO Candidate class at Fort Benning in 1967. My father was an amateur photographer and he took pictures of several guys in his company in their dress uniforms to send home to girlfriends, family, etc. There are several shots of jump qualified guys wearing the exact same beret, so I guess they shared it. I'm not sure what unit it represented, if any, because none of the guys were assigned to an airborne unit at the time and the oval is for unassigned airborne personnel. The interesting thing about the photo you posted is the soldier is also wearing a fourragere indicating a foreign unit award. My guess would be the 82nd Airborne Division.

post-1761-0-95374600-1377980919.jpg

@Sean, thank's guy, I knew we could count on you to ID this or at least make some sense out of it. Interesting on the wrong photo and hometown of Babcock huh?

I always liked the one on the scarf with the 'BLOOD & GUTS' tab.

1969-1972

ARMYDRESS70.jpg
Gary Cisewski was in HHC-1-48 and contributed this great picture which shows wall locker, the uniform of the day, which for medics included wearing the maroon neck scarf which had upon it the Dragoons patch with the words “Blood and Guts”.

@Ricardo, thank's for photos, it seems these were specifically made, were these continued to be worn by Clark and his Staff when he was 6th Army CO? rather than just in WWII with 5th Army in Italy.

Clark in Italy, he appears to be wearing the scarf.

post-34986-0-34710400-1378271809.jpg

Fabulous February Foto of an 5th SFGA A Team wearing the Typical Parachute Material Scarfs, this one scaned from the 1964 C.B. Colby book on Special Forces.

post-34986-0-59641300-1378528612.jpg

Captainofthe7th

The ascot must really been a 5th Army in Italy thing...here's a photo I have in a family album:

JoeMooninski.jpg

And as promised, I said I would investigate the 40th ID scarves further. I think it is a standard SSI, but well embroidered around the edge to attach it to the scarf. Here are some details:

GEDC1670.jpg

Here's a photo of my grandfather on guard duty in Korea. Notice the scarf and polished helmet w/ 31st Inf insignia painted on the front.

pepere21.jpg

And my Uncle in Korea, also on guard duty with the white helmet or liner and parade style belt. He's wearing more of an ascot here vs. a scarf I guess.

47.jpg

Rob

A scarlet bib with small DI patch is seen being worn by this group of Engineer OCS students at Fort Belvoir Virginia late 1966.

post-34986-0-46954800-1379037034.jpg

Uncertain just what the patch on the bibs are, maybe a cloth verision or a varient of the Engineer Center and School DI.

post-34986-0-93116700-1379037126.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The beret is black. It is exactly like the one worn in the attached picture. This guy was in my father's Infantry NCO Candidate class at Fort Benning in 1967. My father was an amateur photographer and he took pictures of several guys in his company in their dress uniforms to send home to girlfriends, family, etc. There are several shots of jump qualified guys wearing the exact same beret, so I guess they shared it. I'm not sure what unit it represented, if any, because none of the guys were assigned to an airborne unit at the time and the oval is for unassigned airborne personnel. The interesting thing about the photo you posted is the soldier is also wearing a fourragere indicating a foreign unit award. My guess would be the 82nd Airborne Division.

On the photo of the Paratrooper with Black Beret and oval etc given the wrong name and posted as dead in the LIFE magazine artical of June 1969, he hopefully being alive this today, may have been a Shake and Bake too. Your observance of the French Rope he's wearing may indicate he was in the 82nd Abn Div as a juinor EM, a E-2 or E-3, and showed promise, and was selected to attend the NCO Candidate School at Ft Benning, this accounting for the French Rope.

Would this be a plausible explaination? were Pvts already trained and currently serving in CONUS based TO&E Infantry units selected for NCO Candidate School, and not just only the Trainees in AIT?

Thank's Ian, a Red Scarf, or is it Maroon, the ARVN Ranger color, great photo addition to this topic, in that for the period of the Vietnam War it would seem that U.S. Army Advisors perhaps wore on occasions Scarfs/Bibs of other ARVN Branch colors whatever those might of been.

Great thread. I acquired this "INSIGNIA, BOS, SCARF, BIB TYPE MIL-I-11922C" today at an estate sale along with a bag full of USAF insignia and metal officer collar and shoulder rank. It has been well used and needs to be dry cleaned (only--according to the label), but it will stay as is for now. When the War Department started research on it as we made our way to the next sale, she discovered that the 374th Strategic Missile Squadron has had a rather tragic incident in its past. I won't go into all of the details, but on 18 September 1980 at Little Rock AFB, South Dakota, during a routine maintenance operation a 9 pound socket was dropped and punctured the first stage fuel tank of the Titan II nuclear tipped intercontinental ballistic missile. Through a chemical chain of events, the missile exploded at 0300 the next morning. Wikipedia has a condensed version of the events. Again, great thread. Thanks, Al.

post-12790-0-36691200-1381527315.jpg

post-12790-0-79368100-1381527325.jpg

wasn't stored right, gotta get the wrinkles out and clean it up but you get the picture, this is a good thread I like where this is going.