Uncommon and Obscure Combat Patches Being Worn.

patches

Salvage Sailor
9 hours ago, easterneagle87 said:

Current listing on FB marketplace. 1950's -early 1960's US Army officers tan uniform with a generic Navy service patch on right shoulder. These particular patches worn like this have been posted before. I can't pin point the left shoulder patch. Is it an obsolete National Guard patch?   

1950s Army tan1.jpg

1950s Army tan 2.jpg

Very interesting symbolism on that patch

Red Rampant lion flag (Scotland, but facing right), Red White & Black horizontal striped flag?, Crescent Moon on the mainsail, Sailing Ship, etc.

This One Time...
12 hours ago, easterneagle87 said:

Current listing on FB marketplace. 1950's -early 1960's US Army officers tan uniform with a generic Navy service patch on right shoulder. These particular patches worn like this have been posted before. I can't pin point the left shoulder patch. Is it an obsolete National Guard patch?   

1950s Army tan1.jpg

1950s Army tan 2.jpg

Left shoulder is an old-style New York Army National Guard HQ insignia. Had to dig out a 1970s patch guide to find it.

Salvage Sailor

Thanks for the ID, I was tending towards NY too thinking that was a Dutch flag

On 3/1/2023 at 12:59 PM, Salvage Sailor said:

Very interesting symbolism on that patch

Red Rampant lion flag (Scotland, but facing right), Red White & Black horizontal striped flag?, Crescent Moon on the mainsail, Sailing Ship, etc.

On 3/1/2023 at 2:30 PM, This One Time... said:

Left shoulder is an old-style New York Army National Guard HQ insignia. Had to dig out a 1970s patch guide to find it.

On 3/1/2023 at 4:01 PM, Salvage Sailor said:

Thanks for the ID, I was tending towards NY too thinking that was a Dutch flag

As already stated, it's the former SSI of the New York National Guard. The Institute of Heraldry website no longer shows the old insignia or its symbolism. However, the ship appears as the current crest of the NY NG and TIOH provides the following information: 

"Description/Blazon

That for regiments and separate battalions of the New York Army National Guard:  From a wreath of colors, the full rigged ship "Half Moon" all Proper.

Symbolism

The crest is Henry Hudson's ship "Half Moon" in which he discovered the Hudson River in 1609.

Background

The crest was approved for the color bearing organizations of the State of New York on 29 December 1922."

Crest.New York National Guard.jpg

This one is my favorite. Replica of the 502 Parachute Infantry Regiment S2 patch during World War 2. I received it when I was a member of Strike!

image.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Another Black Diamond Sighting, here in West Germany, a Vietnam Vet Spec 5 of the 1st Brigade 5th Infantry Division now in the 3rd Infantry Division in 1974,.

Capture.PNG

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
seanmc1114

Subdued 101st Airborne Division SSI worn as a combat patch by a member of the 173rd Airborne Brigade in Vietnam. Note the 173rd SSI is full color. From the Summer 1971 Sky Soldier magazine.

173rd Airborne Brigade.Full Color.1971.jpg

• 1 month later...
This One Time...

image.png.b3cb9d8b12ed5226aa7cb85f3b64b185.png

Southwest Pacific GHQ, worn by one SSGT Andrew Evanko of 2-107th Armored Cavalry Regiment. Found in the April 1980 issue of Buckeye Guard.

On 6/27/2023 at 5:18 AM, This One Time... said:

Guam Command, worn by a Master Sergeant of B Battery, 1-134th Artillery in 1960

image.png.715eda30ac736ae9daba3713122c5223.png

Guam CMD.jpg

Soldiers of the Berlin Brigade in 1961. Note the soldier second from left on the bottom row wearing an Eighth Army combat patch with an unknown tab. It also kind of looks like there is another tab underneath, but I'm not sure.

Combat Patch.Eighth Army.Unknown Tab.Berlin.1961.jpg

Combat Patch.Eighth Army.Unknown Tab.Berlin.1961.2.jpg

6 minutes ago, seanmc1114 said:

5th Regimental Combat Team from Korea

Combat Patch.5th Regimental Combat Team.Berlin.1961.jpg

Captain Keeley (m) of the combat group of the 19th US infantry regiment before the departure to Berlin on 7th December 1961 in Augsburg. The regiment, which was stationed as a NATO contingent in Augsburg so far, had to drive through the Soviet zone to relieve the troops stationed in Berlin. The journey proceeded without any problems. 

Maj. Gen. John. B. Medaris, chief of the army ballistic agency and Dr. Werhner Von Braun, guided missile expert and developer of the "Redstone" missile, are shown viewing a scale model of the U.S. Army's new "Redstone", largest American missile to have reached test firing stage. Note General Medaris is wearing what a ppears to be simple a black "A" with no background as his First Army combat patch.

Combat Patch.First Army.Redstone Arsenal.1955.1.jpg

Combat Patch.First Army.Redstone Arsenal.1955.2.jpg

Link here to see other interesting patches worn by General Medaris during his long and interesting career.

8 hours ago, seanmc1114 said:

Soldiers of the Berlin Brigade in 1961. Note the soldier second from left on the bottom row wearing an Eighth Army combat patch with an unknown tab. It also kind of looks like there is another tab underneath, but I'm not sure.

Combat Patch.Eighth Army.Unknown Tab.Berlin.1961.jpg

Combat Patch.Eighth Army.Unknown Tab.Berlin.1961.2.jpg

He is wearing the double tabbed 88th Inf Bn Heavy Mortar. Began service in KW as 2nd Chem Mortar Bn, couple of redesignations. 

KW CMB088.jpg

Two members of the 1st Infantry Division guarding witnesses at the Nurenberg Trials, one wearing a 79th Infantry Division combat patch and one wearing a Headquarters European Theater Of Operations combat patch

Combat Patch.ETO.79th Division.jpg

Ports Of Embarkation. Two police trainees (middle) of the police school in Frankfurt on the Main have lessons about behaviour in the police service with military policemen of the U.S. Army on 8 August 1946. 

Combat Patch.Ports Of Embarkation.1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Fifteenth Army. John F. Fixa, postmaster in San Francisco, and Lt. Col. Charles L. Bodine, Postal Officer at San Francisco Port of Embarkation examine one of 7,000 bags of Christmas mail headed for troops in the Far East as part of one of the first big shipments to leave Fort Mason. 29 October 1952.

Combat Patch.Fifteenth Army.1952.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Left to right are Private First Class Donald Bratthaur, a veteran of the Korean Military Advisory Group, Major General Hobart R. Gay, deputy commanding general of the Fourthth Army, and Major General C. S. Irvine, commander of the 19th Air Division of the Twentieth Air Force at the North Texas National Defense Blood Center. September 1951.

Combat Patch.KMAG.1.jpg

Here's kind of an oddity. Lieutenant Jay H. Mehaffey, left, is serving as an Army recruiter in Texas in this June 1946 photos. Notice he is wearing a 5th Ranger Battalion scroll as his combat patch. However, I have never seen a photo of a member of the 5th Ranger Battalion wearing the scroll insignia as a current unit assignment in World War II. Every photo I have seen shows them wearing the "Sunoco" style patch.

Combat Patch.5th Ranger Battalion.1.jpg

Combat Patch.5th Ranger Battalion.2.jpg

Rangers.Sunoco.1.jpg