Uncommon and Obscure Combat Patches Being Worn.

patches

This one was on the FB make offer page recently.  2nd Lt Walter L Johnston, c1950-51, a platoon commander at OCS Benning.  He's wearing Canadian ribbons, Canadian jump wings - and also what may be a Canadian 1st Para shoulder patch.  (I don't think it looks like US Airborne Command, which was deactivated in 1947). 

image.png.aebcb5fcda58ee63be07d3854d1237a6.png

56 minutes ago, AustinO said:

This one was on the FB make offer page recently.  2nd Lt Walter L Johnston, c1950-51, a platoon commander at OCS Benning.  He's wearing Canadian ribbons, Canadian jump wings - and also what may be a Canadian 1st Para shoulder patch.  (I don't think it looks like US Airborne Command, which was deactivated in 1947). 

image.png.aebcb5fcda58ee63be07d3854d1237a6.png

That's very interesting. What I also notice is that all of his ribbons appear to foreign (Canadian or British). It's a minor point, but I believe U.S. Army uniform regulations state that when the ribbon of a foreign award is worn, the wearer must also wear at least one U.S. ribbon. I'm pretty sure that has been the case since at least 1954, because I think I first remember reading it in my grandfather's old copy of The Army Officer's Guide. If this photo was from c. 1950-1951, it's quite possible the Lt. may not have earned any U.S. decorations or service medals at that point in his career. 

This is another one I'm not sure would be classified as a combat patch, but it is being worn in that position. After some research based on the elements that make up the insignia, I believe it represents participation in the CORE 21 (Combined Operations and Rotation Exercise), a joint exercise involving the Brazilian Southeastern Military Command and U.S. Army South. The soldier is a member of the 54th Security Forces Assistance Brigade. The patch in question contains the insignia of the U.S. Army South, what appears to be elements of the U.S. Forces In The Dominican Republic SSI (or possibly Organization of American States), the Brazilian flag and U.S. flag. COTER appears to be the acronym for the Brazilian Terrestrial Operations Command,

Once again, we see patches that are probably not technically what we would refer to as a combat patch being worn temporarily in that position since the patches can be easily attached and removed due to velcro.   

https://dialogo-americas.com/articles/brazilian-and-us-armies-conduct-unprecedented-joint-military-exercise/#:~:text=The Brazilian Southeastern Military Command,is known as Southern Vanguard.

Combat Patch.Unknown.4.Security Forces Assistance Brigade.jpg

Brazil.Flag.jpg

U.S. Forces Dominican Republic.1.jpg

U.S. Army South.png

• 3 weeks later...

Came across these.

A theater made 14th Air Force with an AIRBORNE Tab, White on Red also theater made, has a CBI on the other side, it too theater made, any idea of unit within 14th Air Force that had a Airborne status in China?  Unfortunately these are the only photos of it, so we can't see branch collar disc, like if it is Signal Corps, Engineer etc, nor the DIs.

14th af.jpg

ItemCo16527

I personally love the new "pinks and greens" the Army is issuing, but I can't for the life of me understand why they don't use gold buttons. I'd love to know whose idea that was so I could write them a strongly-worded postcard lol

seanmc1114

Full color theater made 198th Infantry Brigade SSI worn on the dress greens of a soldier who deployed to Vietnam with the brigade in 1967.

55C696FA-1A02-495F-969A-9511D7514F2A.jpeg

On 4/23/2022 at 8:21 PM, patches said:

Came across these.

A theater made 14th Air Force with an AIRBORNE Tab, White on Red also theater made, has a CBI on the other side, it too theater made, any idea of unit within 14th Air Force that had a Airborne status in China?  Unfortunately these are the only photos of it, so we can't see branch collar disc, like if it is Signal Corps, Engineer etc, nor the DIs.

14th af.jpg

There were airborne AAA units in CBI. Airborne referred to being on board aircraft performing AAA missions, not jumping out of them.

10 minutes ago, tredhed2 said:

There were airborne AAA units in CBI. Airborne referred to being on board aircraft performing AAA missions, not jumping out of them.

Thanks tred. Meaning that there unit was Air Transportable? like as the British and the Germans call Air Landing???

seanmc1114

The 1st Cavalry Division SSI is certainl;y not a rare combat patch, but here we see it being worn on a cook's uniform in a 1970 newpaper article from Fort Hood.

Combat Patch.1st Cavalry Division.Cook's Uniform.1970.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
seanmc1114

Fort Campbell 1974. This could be a Military Assistance Command Vietnam, US Army Vietnam or II Field Force Vietnam SSI with an AIRBORNE tab. However, to me it looks like an Engineer Command Vietnam SSI with tab. What do you think?

EFB3D923-379A-4E45-8F3E-8F09D4F3CDAE.png

0CCA1488-B652-438B-AEBB-A1AA7D18F494.jpeg

69CFC317-EF91-42AE-B7A3-137D18F00F5F.jpeg

2 hours ago, seanmc1114 said:

Fort Campbell 1974. This could be a Military Assistance Command Vietnam, US Army Vietnam or II Field Force Vietnam SSI with an AIRBORNE tab. However, to me it looks like an Engineer Command Vietnam SSI with tab. What do you think?

Yes Engineer Command Vietnam, we'll look around for the airborne connection.

seanmc1114

Brigadier General A. Lester Henderson of the Georgia National Guard wearing the SSI of the 14th Anti-Aircraft Command as a combat patch.

Combat Patch.14h AAA Command.4.A. Lester Henderson.jpg

12 hours ago, seanmc1114 said:

Brigadier General A. Lester Henderson of the Georgia National Guard wearing the SSI of the 14th Anti-Aircraft Command as a combat patch.

Combat Patch.14h AAA Command.4.A. Lester Henderson.jpg

Wow Good One Sean.

On 5/20/2022 at 11:19 PM, patches said:

Yes Engineer Command Vietnam, we'll look around for the airborne connection.

Couldn't find anything, with the tab being worn, best guess is a small detachment in the command's HHC that dealt with things airborne in an engineering context, lets say for one, airdropping the heavy stuff by parachute, things like that.

seanmc1114

Battalion commander of a basic training unit at Fort Ord, California in 1968 wearing his 9th Infantry Division combat patch with the black portion of the octofoil on top. The black is generally worn on the bottom, although I have seen other instances like this, and I don't know if there are official regulations regarding how the subdued SSI is to be oriented.   

Combat Patch.9th Infantry Division.Subdued.Upside Down.jpg

On 5/20/2022 at 5:47 PM, seanmc1114 said:

May not be a Airborne tab. May be the "Jungle Eater tab.

• 3 weeks later...

Here we see the War Correspondents badge worn on the cap.

Shown with the 11th Airborne. No name given

US 11th Airborne jump in the North of Luzon around Aparri, to assist combined Philippine and US forces who were battling remaining Japanese resistance on the island - June 23, 1945

LIFE Magazine Archives - Carl Mydans Photographer

289237996_518232366763027_1190263767405626364_n.jpg

War Correspondent badge above left pocket

No name given.

US 11th Airborne jump in the North of Luzon around Aparri, to assist combined Philippine and US forces who were battling remaining Japanese resistance on the island - June 23, 1945

LIFE Magazine Archives - Carl Mydans Photographer

289872739_518231950096402_1988691588268961778_n.jpg

General William J. Livsey opted for his Korean War unit, the 3rd Division as a Combat Patch at his retirement in 1987.

livsey 1987.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The latest edition of AR 670-1 (Wear And Appearance Of Army Uniforms And Insignia) has renamed Shoulder Sleeve Insignia-Former Wartime Service to Shoulder Sleeve Insignia-Military Operations In Hostile Conditions.

Combat Patch.Regulations.jpg

Combat Patch.Regulations.jpg

Full color Americal Combat Patches in 1971, musicians are of the 196th Infantry Brigade Band, the Brigade is Separate again, note too the full color Brigade Patch on the Leader. Interesting that INFANTRY was not placed in the unit designator on the Bass Drum, just 196th BRIGADE.

viet picv.jpg