Uncommon and Obscure Combat Patches Being Worn.

patches

LTC Sheridan, one of the first Optometrists commissioned into the newly former Medical Service Corps, post WWII. In WWII he served as an Ordnance Officer. Fourth Army never left the continental US....so it's wear as a "combat patch" is a little suspect. From his ribbons he likely served in the liberation of the Philippines. Picture from the History of the Medical Service Corps by Richard Ginn.

post-83679-0-19999000-1527301758_thumb.jpg

China Combat Training Command

Likely taken at Fort Knox when the 3rd Armored Div was a training Division during Korea. I wonder if the Captain was a prior member of one of the provisional tank battalions stood up in the CBI with US advisors and Chinese tankers?

• 4 weeks later...

4th Infantry Division with AIRBORNE tab. Considering he is wearing jump wings, my guess would be that he served with a LRRP unit assigned to the 4th in Vietnam, but the tab would certainly be unauthorized.

post-1761-0-85285100-1529672222.jpg

post-1761-0-71032500-1529672297.jpg

4th Infantry Division with AIRBORNE tab. Considering he is wearing jump wings, my guess would be that he served with a LRRP unit assigned to the 4th in Vietnam, but the tab would certainly be unauthorized.

A Silver Star recipient is looks like, got a last name on him Sean?

Agree with your assessment of the insignia. There was so much "unauthorized" wearing of tabs and scrolls for both past and current duty (USAR QM & Pathfinder units) back in the day.

A Silver Star recipient is looks like, got a last name on him Sean?

Agree with your assessment of the insignia. There was so much "unauthorized" wearing of tabs and scrolls for both past and current duty (USAR QM & Pathfinder units) back in the day.

After a little research, I found him. Phillip Parrish. He was not a LRRP as I had assumed but a Pathfinder assigned to the 4th Aviation Battalion 4th Infantry Division.

http://www.tnfunerals.com/memsol.cgi?user_id=2114312

Likely taken at Fort Knox when the 3rd Armored Div was a training Division during Korea. I wonder if the Captain was a prior member of one of the provisional tank battalions stood up in the CBI with US advisors and Chinese tankers?

You are referring to the 1st Provisional Tank Group. Americans from the 527th Ord Co (Heavy Maint) (Tank) trained battalions 2-6 and only the 1st made it to combat. The Americans provided an assault gun plt made up of M-4s.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

2nd Engineer Brigade

I just recently picked up the same patch. It’s an uncommon unit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just recently picked up the same patch. It’s an uncommon unit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not necessarily uncommon, but I assume the only period for which it would be authorized as a combat patch would be the Global War On Terrorism. I got the picture from a Facebook page and it pointed out the unit was deactivated in 2015 for the fourth time in its history which goes back to World War II. The patch was worn in World War II without the tab to designate the various Engineer Special Brigades, but most pictures I have seen show it being worn as a pocket patch with the Army Amphibian Forces SSI on the sleeve.

And by the way, the SSI for the Army Amphibian Forces shown in these pictures is now worn as the SSI for the 1st Engineer Brigade.

post-1761-0-37559500-1531328226.jpg

post-1761-0-92559000-1531328247_thumb.jpg

post-1761-0-33248000-1531328287_thumb.jpg

Not necessarily uncommon, but I assume the only period for which it would be authorized as a combat patch would be the Global War On Terrorism. I got the picture from a Facebook page and it pointed out the unit was deactivated in 2015 for the fourth time in its history which goes back to World War II. The patch was worn in World War II without the tab to designate the various Engineer Special Brigades, but most pictures I have seen show it being worn as a pocket patch with the Army Amphibian Forces SSI on the sleeve.

And by the way, the SSI for the Army Amphibian Forces shown in these pictures is now worn as the SSI for the 1st Engineer Brigade.

Interesting, I had seen the patch used in WWII before, but I didn't know that it was an authorized combat patch for GWOT. Also interesting that they've been deactivated four times. Thanks for the info.

Interesting, I had seen the patch used in WWII before, but I didn't know that it was an authorized combat patch for GWOT. Also interesting that they've been deactivated four times. Thanks for the info.

Starting I imagine sometime in the 50s this patch was worn as a shoulder patch for Special Amphibious Engineer Brigades, here's one worn by a LTC (retired in 1964) of one of the Reserve Special Amphibious Engineer Brigades, he was from NYC, but I'm not sure which one of the Special Amphibious Engineer Brigades was a reserve unit, I thought maybe the 2nd, but now not sure, and online info for these 50s-60s units is non existent. Special Amphibious Engineer Brigades at one point even had a Unit Crest approved for them.

post-34986-0-16998700-1458705053.jpg

Found two IDed Vets of the Philippines Forces in my National Guardsman magazines.

post-34986-0-65866700-1531362586.jpg

The first up is Howard W. Glattly of the Philippine Division, a medical officer and Lieutenant Colonel Luzon Force, I guess here he was detached from the Philipine Division where he may have been in the divisional medical unit, the 12th Medical Regiment (PS) Photo is from sometime in the summer of 1956 on Governors Island NYC where Glattly, a Brigadier General was Chief Surgeon U.S.First Army.

http://www.west-point.org/family/japanese-pow/Tarlac/Tarlac.htm

Starting I imagine sometime in the 50s this patch was worn as a shoulder patch for Special Amphibious Engineer Brigades, here's one worn by a LTC (retired in 1964) of one of the Reserve Special Amphibious Engineer Brigades, he was from NYC, but I'm not sure which one of the Special Amphibious Engineer Brigades was a reserve unit, I thought maybe the 2nd, but now not sure, and online info for these 50s-60s units is non existent. Special Amphibious Engineer Brigades at one point even had a Unit Crest approved for them.

Very interesting, and great jacket!

LTC Sheridan, one of the first Optometrists commissioned into the newly former Medical Service Corps, post WWII. In WWII he served as an Ordnance Officer. Fourth Army never left the continental US....so it's wear as a "combat patch" is a little suspect. From his ribbons he likely served in the liberation of the Philippines. Picture from the History of the Medical Service Corps by Richard Ginn.

We have seen in the past where patches were worn as a "former war time service" from those not serving overseas.I would think this is the case here where the Lt.Col is wearing the patch as a former unit and not as a combat patch.

We have seen in the past where patches were worn as a "former war time service" from those not serving overseas.I would think this is the case here where the Lt.Col is wearing the patch as a former unit and not as a combat patch.

That makes little sense to me. I think he is wearing it in error. The SSI worn on the right shoulder has been known as the Shoulder Sleeve Insignia- Former Wartime Service since its inception. It was never exclusively for combat. For WW2, only service overseas was required to wear the SSI-FWTS. The name "combat patch" is popular, but a misnomer. Since WW2, service overseas during designated time periods and designated areas is required.

I reread the comment and agree he my be wearing the Fourth US Army SSI in the mistaken belief he rates it for former wartime service in the organization.

I reread the comment and agree he my be wearing the Fourth US Army SSI in the mistaken belief he rates it for former wartime service in the organization.

Yeah remember that one earlier photo of the officer wearing one of the Service Commands :lol:

mysteriousoozlefinch

R2St6fO.jpg

Looks like XXIV Corps to me; 2nd US Army Missile Command, 1959

n3KFNPB.jpg

ETO Communications Zone; 20th QM Company, 2nd US Army Missile Command

t0nMSOw.jpg

XI Corps; 20th QM Company, 2nd US Army Missile Command