Uncommon and Obscure Combat Patches Being Worn.

patches

BILL THE PATCH

That picture is from the rozwell incident, those are pictures of the weather ballon . or alien craft whatever you believe. I remember seeing a documentary on it and yes it is the 20th a/F.

• 2 weeks later...

198th Infantry Brigade. It was much more common to see the Americal Division SSI worn as the 198th made up part of the Americal.

post-1761-0-29376800-1448242734.jpg

BINGO!

What a find Sean! Any date on the photo, would like to know if he was an original member of the 198th Inf Bde from Hood, as my theory with those wearing the 11th Inf Bde as a combat patch rather than the Americal, is that they were original members of the unit when it was sent over.

• 3 weeks later...

post-34986-0-90106900-1449808271.jpg

The old Philippine Division patch as a combat yet again on this MP, location and unit and MP unknown, definitely between 1946 and 1951 as they wear the quadruple discs. (Foto originally posted by member Austin R, maybe he has more info, I'll PM him).

attachicon.gifpost-51120-0-52651000-1389248244.jpg

The old Philippine Division patch as a combat yet again on this MP, location and unit and MP unknown, definitely between 1946 and 1951 as they wear the quadruple discs. (Foto originally posted by member Austin R, maybe he has more info, I'll PM him).

Was sent the original group photo, it's a Fort Huachuca Arizona sometime in Winter or Fall 1947, probably winter, like February, no unit still, probably an MP Company.

post-34986-0-08554400-1449977798.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Nothing uncommon for a 7th Div patch being worn as a Combat Patch in 1956, but I didn't know where else to post it :lol:.

post-34986-0-00052000-1452573151.jpg

It's Buffalo Bill Quinn in Germany at a Change of Command ceremony for VII Corps in June 1956. I may be wrong but Quinn was not supposed to be in Germany, says he was in Greece at this time, maybe he flew up for the occasion and donned field gear rather then Pinks & Greens.

Foto courtesy of USAREUR.Com

• 3 weeks later...

198th Infantry Brigade. It was much more common to see the Americal Division SSI worn as the 198th made up part of the Americal.

Looks theater made

• 2 weeks later...

Staff Sgt. Willie Myers of Company A, 1st Battalion, 122nd Infantry of the Georgia National Guard wearing the 7th Infantry Division SSI as a combat patch in 1984. It is doubtful he was old enough to have served in the Korean War, so he probably earned it along the DMZ in the 60's.

post-1761-0-60577400-1455200043.jpg

Staff Sgt. Willie Myers of Company A, 1st Battalion, 122nd Infantry of the Georgia National Guard wearing the 7th Infantry Division SSI as a combat patch in 1984. It is doubtful he was old enough to have served in the Korean War, so he probably earned it along the DMZ in the 60's.

Good one sean, the first one of a DMZ 60s 7th Div vet I've seen.

Here's another one of the Americal Division being worn by a LTC of the Georgia National Guard in September 2002, almost 31 years (November 1971) after the Americal was deactivated in Vietnam

post-1761-0-20470500-1455573108.jpg

post-34986-0-24881500-1455854887.jpg

The 9th Air Force as worn by 1st Lieutenant Clayton Ploegman of the 32nd Signal Company, 32nd Infantry Division Wisconsin National Guard early 1959. Ploegman no doubt was an enlistedman during the big war, and was for quite awhile after before being commissioned in the Wis NG given this 1959 date. Ploegman was probably in one of those Army support units that was assigned to the Air Corps during WWII, and never considered himself to be Air Force, choosing the Army National Guard rather then the Air Guard for his career in the post war 50s.

By the time of the Berlin Wall Crisis when the 32nd Inf Div was Federalized, Ploegman turns up as Captain, CO of B Co 132nd Signal Battalion (32nd Signal Company upgraded sometime in 1960 to Battalion strength and retitled 132nd Signal Battalion). I got their 1962 Yearbook for this period.

And through the wonders of the internet we have found that Mr Ploegman sadly is no longer with us.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/jsonline/obituary.aspx?n=clayton-h-ploegman&pid=133779004

• 3 weeks later...

and now you will be surprised .... :D

Giancarlo

Yeah look at that, both a Port of Embarkations and 3rd Army, very interesting!

Jamecharles

no more space on the arm? no worry i've the other one! :D

By the way it's a Signal corp (officer pins pinned on french fourragere)

Gs

1957 dated AG44 coat with a Seabees combat patch, all patches are cut edge and original; exactly as I bought it in 1982.

post-2527-0-98629100-1457714305.jpg

post-2527-0-46179500-1457714314.jpg

post-2527-0-88373100-1457714330.jpg

post-2527-0-89181700-1457714362.jpg

doinworkinvans

I don't understand why these are rare? These soldiers were obviously in these units before and therefore have the SSI to match? What makes it so rare?

Why does a 2nd Cav patch as a combat patch make it rare?

I think it's more of when or how they were worn, not necessarily the patch itself.Unless of course the patch is odd or out of place or the unit was not ordinarily in a combat zone.

I agree that some of these patches shown don't seem to fit the title. I honestly don't think a period picture showing a soldier wearing a "bookend" 101st uniform would be all that uncommon.

However, as in the uniforms I posted, an AG coat with a Seabees combat patch would have been odd, even back then. And a Post 9/11 set of BDUs with a VN era combat patch is not something you see every day.

no more space on the arm? no worry i've the other one! :D

By the way it's a Signal corp (officer pins pinned on french fourragere)

Gs

It also looks like he's wearing the Expert Infantryman Badge above his ribbons.

I don't understand why these are rare? These soldiers were obviously in these units before and therefore have the SSI to match? What makes it so rare?

Why does a 2nd Cav patch as a combat patch make it rare?

To what are you referring? The 2nd Infantry Division photo I posted above? Both that and a 7th Infantry Division combat patch earned on the DMZ in the 60's and 70's were extremely rare as not many troops would have qualified for them. I don't believe everyone who served in either division during the time frame automatically qualified to wear a combat patch. I think it was limited to those very few soldiers of the division who actually came under fire at the DMZ.

Now a 2nd Cavalry Division combat patch would be extremely rare as I believe that division was deployed to North Africa in 1943 or 1944 and almost immediately broken up so that its soldiers were mostly sent to service units in the Mediterranean Theater.