Uncommon and Obscure Combat Patches Being Worn.

patches

seanmc1114

War Correspondent. I'm not sure if this is intended to be a combat patch or whether correspondents might have worn these patches on both sleeves.

post-1761-0-15792700-1368127006.jpg

BILL THE PATCH

the one picture of audie murphy with the yank correspondent patch is from a movie still, cannot recall which one.

VolunteerArmoury
Found this one the OSS Wings worn solely as a Combat Patch, it as we see by the caption states it's Brigadier General G W Embury 84th Division, no date, but as both officers are wearing the new AG44 uniform it certainly would be around the late 50s early 60s, at this time the 84th Division was off Combat Status, and was now a Training Division, no idea on the narrative of the caption, ie what "The Chapter" means, maybe Knights of Columbus?

attachicon.gifphpvMmtCSAM embury.jpg

That's the Phi Delta Theta Wisconsin Beta chapter at Lawrence University. It's an international social fraternity.

This just handed me.

Info on this guy.

post-34986-0-87293500-1368504162.jpg

An unnamed source of mine has IDed him as Colonel George W Sylvester, a Minnisota National Guard Officer, one can when they look, barely make out his name in the greeting on the foto.

The tip was that he may be wearing a Phillipine Division or a 34th Infantry Division Combat Patch, this lead to a search of Sylvester in 34th Inf Div sources. it would seem that it will indeed be the Red Bull Division patch.

post-34986-0-41619600-1368504150.jpg

While he was not found in a roster, not as yet at any rate, this is what was found.

post-34986-0-77069600-1368504562.jpg

As we see in the artical, an artical describing the 151st Field Artillery's arrival at a town during it move to it's first home at Camp Claiborne Louisana right after it was Federalized in February 1941, that the CO was one Lt Col George W. Sylvester. Whether this is correct that Sylvester was the actual CO of the 151st FA Regt is not known, he may have been the first officer of the Regiment to show up in Fayetteville leading it's advance elements, Fayetteville Kansas that is. It's been noted that a Colonel Stewart G. Collins was CO of the 151st FA Regt, he apparently left the Regiment in late 1941 to take command of the 34th Division's 59th Field Artillery Brigade.

After this period we know nothing on Slyvester, he may have been give command of one of the Artillery Battalions when the 151st FA Regt was broken up, there were two battalions used from the assets of the 151st FA Regt, one as per usual retained the original Regimental number, the 151st FA Bn, the other was the 175th FA Bn, both of which fought in the Red Bull Division thoughtout WWII.

A site I found myself of the 151st FA Bn shows that by and or during the Sicilian Campaign, Slyvester was not CO of this Battalion, it would seem a Lt Col Dubois was the old man at that time.

http://kwanah.com/36division/ps/ps833238.htm

So that leaves, the 175th FA Bn, was Slyvester given command of the 175th FA? or maybe he was shunted up to Staff at DIV ARTY? We might hopefully find more info, so stay tuned.

@VolunteerArmory, thank's a bunch on your info on this "Chapter" in the caption, the Phi Delta Theta Wisconsin Beta chapter at Lawrence University.

Was sitting on this one for a few days. The 15th Army Group as a Combat Patch on a lateish 40s Ike, gorgeous X stiching all around. I think it was posted here on the forum a few years ago, I can't remember the source now of this image.

post-34986-0-92503600-1368592207.jpg

seanmc1114

Here's an interesting one. National Guard surgeon from the 27th Armored Division circa 1958 wearing the 2nd Air Force SSI as a combat patch. From what I can tell, the 2nd was primarily a training organization that never left the continental U.S. during WWII. However, some units did fly anti-submarine missions in the Pacific northwest.

post-1761-0-75562800-1368622604.jpg

Here's an interesting one. National Guard surgeon from the 27th Armored Division circa 1958 wearing the 2nd Air Force SSI as a combat patch. From what I can tell, the 2nd was primarily a training organization that never left the continental U.S. during WWII. However, some units did fly anti-submarine missions in the Pacific northwest.

This I'm sure will be an example of one that falls under a Former Wartime Patch, something seen only for vets that were in WWII, like during the Korean War right, one would not see a 4th Inf Div combat or wartime service patch worn for Garrison duty in Germany, or a Stateside Service 2nd Army. Likewise of course,the Vietnam era

seanmc1114

MG George S. Patton IV wearing a full color reverse facing 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment SSI as a combat patch on his dress uniform.

post-1761-0-39733900-1368660044.jpg

post-1761-0-65610900-1368660049.jpg

seanmc1114

Group of soldiers receiving the Medal of Honor at the White House. Since it's President Johnson, this has to be before January 1969. The officer third from right seems to be wearing a 1st Armored Division combat patch. This may be from WWII, but that would mean he has been in the Army 20+ years. I can't tell his rank but he doesn't look that old. I'm thinking he's wearing the 1st as his combat patch for service in Vietnam with the 1st Squadron 1st Cavalry.

post-1761-0-55694000-1369227174.jpg

This I'm sure will be an example of one that falls under a Former Wartime Patch, something seen only for vets that were in WWII, like during the Korean War right, one would not see a 4th Inf Div combat or wartime service patch worn for Garrison duty in Germany, or a Stateside Service 2nd Army. Likewise of course,the Vietnam era

Not really. It was possibly self-awarded. I believe that in WW2, the FWT-SSI still had to be from an assignment outside of the American Theater of Operations (overseas). I do not know how far out the Army anti-submarine patrols flew, but maybe that is the reason for his wear of that SSI.

MG George S. Patton IV wearing a full color reverse facing 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment SSI as a combat patch on his dress uniform.

"Excuse me sir....um.... is that path auth....? Oh no, I am not being unsubordin.....No sir....yes sir! Mind my own damn business.... Absolutely sir! I am out of line.....completely! Sorry to bother you!"

Group of soldiers receiving the Medal of Honor at the White House. Since it's President Johnson, this has to be before January 1969. The officer third from right seems to be wearing a 1st Armored Division combat patch. This may be from WWII, but that would mean he has been in the Army 20+ years. I can't tell his rank but he doesn't look that old. I'm thinking he's wearing the 1st as his combat patch for service in Vietnam with the 1st Squadron 1st Cavalry.

That officer is CPT James Allen Taylor of Troop B, 1st Squadron, 1st Cavalry Regiment, Americal Division

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Allen_Taylor

seanmc1114

That officer is CPT James Allen Taylor of Troop B, 1st Squadron, 1st Cavalry Regiment, Americal Division

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Allen_Taylor

Thanks for the info. I have always been curious about the 1st and 2nd Squadrons of the 1st Cavalry since seeing the 1st and 2nd Armored Division SSI's listed for the units in Shelby Stanton's Vietnam Order Of Battle. Apparently the two squadrons were detached from their respective parent divisions in the U.S. and attached to units in Vietnam, the 1st Squadron being attached to the Americal Division. However, I don't believe they were ever formally relieved from their assignments to the armored divisions. So Capt. Taylor was correct in wearing the 1st Armored as his combat patch.

Re #288: He wore the same reversed 11th ACR at Ft Devens in 1975 as post cdr and First Army northern region CG. Maybe the blouse in the pic is the very same one.

Thanks for the info. I have always been curious about the 1st and 2nd Squadrons of the 1st Cavalry since seeing the 1st and 2nd Armored Division SSI's listed for the units in Shelby Stanton's Vietnam Order Of Battle. Apparently the two squadrons were detached from their respective parent divisions in the U.S. and attached to units in Vietnam, the 1st Squadron being attached to the Americal Division. However, I don't believe they were ever formally relieved from their assignments to the armored divisions. So Capt. Taylor was correct in wearing the 1st Armored as his combat patch.

Yeah they were even worn in country to some degree, it would seem though only by the original members of these two Squadrons, the very first groups that left their parent units, the 1st and 2nd Armored Divisions at Hood, member Tanker 1 was one of them, 2/1Cav, he basicaly verified this, in one photo he posted we see the reminant of the 2nd Armd Div being worn above the U.S.ARMY tape along with the Ivy Div patch ( the Division the 2/1 cav was normally assigned to, only the separate Hell on Wheels tab is present, with the triangle having fell off. Plus there have been a few Vietnamese made and or U.S. Made ? subdued on cloth typres posted no and again.

Tanker 1 in the RVN

post-34986-0-67745600-1369252840.jpg

"Excuse me sir....um.... is that path auth....? Oh no, I am not being unsubordin.....No sir....yes sir! Mind my own damn business.... Absolutely sir! I am out of line.....completely! Sorry to bother you!"

:) I must say Gen. George Patton IV was quite the decorated hero in his own right! May have out-done his father, at least in valor awards.

A second pattern KCOMZ patch being worn as a combat patch on a post Korean War M47 OD HBT, shirt, as a part of a collection posted by another member quite awhile ago.

post-34986-0-28491900-1369459262.jpg

Great photo R Micheal. However I do believe you posted it in the wrong Topic, This Topic is limited to Combat/Former Wartime Service patches only. This one would be just the type to post in the Patches In Action Topic.

Major General John Homfeld, wearing a 106th Cavalry Group patch on his right shoulder. Commanded 121st Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron, 106th Cavalry Group during WW2. Postwar member of 33rd Division and 44th Division.

post-3508-0-05296800-1369620820.jpg