Uncommon and Obscure Combat Patches Being Worn.

patches

I know the 7th Infantry Division is not really rare but I couldn't resist posting this picture of Lt. General Arthur Trudeau wearing a uniform unknown to me, possibly private purchase, and all badged out. He is wearing the I Corps SSI on his left sleeve and the shot was probably taken immediately post-Korean War.

post-1761-0-97290200-1367251016.jpg

Looks like the French Army "159eme Regiment d' Infanterie Alpine" crest.That's a mountain infantry unit.

159eme Regiment d' Infanterie Alpine

I do believe you got it.

post-34986-0-99860300-1367264275.jpg

It was a part of the 27e Division d'Infanterie.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/159e_r%C3%A9giment_d

Interested to know the connection to Murphy, it's no doubt an honorary award, but was it a personal one made only to Murphy? don't think it's a unit one, as the decorations of the 15th U.S. Infantry do not mention this. The 509th Parachute Infantry Battalion on the other hand does officialy list a French army unit badge for wear, the badge of the 3e Régiment de Zouaves.

firefighter

Looks like the French Army "159eme Regiment d' Infanterie Alpine" crest.That's a mountain infantry unit.

Look's like you nailed it.

159-3cm_hauteur_fond-transparent.gif

Sorry, Missed 'patches' answer.

I know the 7th Infantry Division is not really rare but I couldn't resist posting this picture of Lt. General Arthur Trudeau wearing a uniform unknown to me, possibly private purchase, and all badged out. He is wearing the I Corps SSI on his left sleeve and the shot was probably taken immediately post-Korean War.

And very atypically, wearing all his personal ribbons to include a PUC on his fatiques, the only other photo like this is one of General Trapnell.

Great photo, kind of reminds of one of the Generals on MASH the T.V. show, the one who shows up with ribbons on his fatiques, but of course this cannot be compared at all to the real Generals of Korea.

seanmc1114

More Alamo Scouts. Anyone have any idea what the current assignment SSI is for the guy in the first picture?

I posted part of the the second picture earlier but it was cropped to only show the guy on the right. Notice the guy on the right is not wearing an SSI for his current assignment. Also notice the guy on the left is wearing Cavalry BOS insignia. I think many of the Alamo Scouts came from the 1st Cavalry Division.

post-1761-0-80776800-1367586896.jpg

post-1761-0-50996800-1367586902.jpg

seanmc1114

Senior NCO's lined up for inspection. The Sergeant Major second from left is wearing the Strategic Communications Command SSI as a combat patch. Further down the line I see 1st Armored Division and MACV patches.

post-1761-0-48254600-1367591351.jpg

ReverendJake

More Alamo Scouts. Anyone have any idea what the current assignment SSI is for the guy in the first picture?

I love the order or the ribbons. Philippine liberation ahead of silver star, Purple Heart last. Beautiful uniforms, thanks for sharing.

post-34986-0-19940100-1367643350.jpg

At first I was going to say a reversed Pacific Ocean Areas patch, but it dosen't quite look so. the star patterns even fliped don't look like what were seeing.

NOTE:

post-34986-0-36512900-1367643268.jpg

Maybe it's a Fillipino Army shoulder patch? this guy looks like a Fillipino, and since he served in the PI, and since were not seeing as of yet an Army of Occupation Ribbon, or a Discharge Badge, perhaps he was liasioned over to cadre one of the new Fillipino Army units.

PS, It's also interesting to note that he was most definetely an Infantryman, but what's that branch collar disc we're seeing, looks like Engineers to me.

seanmc1114

26th Infantry Division. Nothing unusual about the 26th as a combat patch, but to me this versions seems larger than normal

post-1761-0-28926400-1367847275.jpg

seanmc1114

1st Marine Division patch being worn on the right sleeve of four Medal of Honor recipients from Guadalcanal - Major Gen. Alexander Vandegrift, Col. Merritt Edson, Lt. Mitchell Paige and Sgt. John Basilone. I'm not sure what it signified when worn this way on a Marine Corps uniform

post-1761-0-14896500-1367847413.jpg

seanmc1114

This is an interesting photo. As the accompanying article http://kyngpaotest.com/adt-5-receive-deployment-patches/ states, this is a ceremony awarding the 3rd Infantry Division SSI as a combat patch to the soldiers and airmen of the Kentucky Agribusiness Development Team 5. I'm not sure what type of unit this is, but the guy being patched as well as the guy on the right are both clearly member of the Air Force as indicated by their U.S. Air Force tapes and rank badges on their uniforms. However, I believe that is an Army uniform they are wearing and the Kentucky State Area Command SSI is visible on one of the men in the background.

post-1761-0-74092300-1367871994.jpg

seanmc1114

Obscurred shot of the 25th Infantry Division SSI being worn with an Airborne tab - 4th Brigade 25th ID - as well as a clearer picture of the subdued version. Also, an image of the Combat Service Identification Badge for the unit.

post-1761-0-31202500-1367873880.jpg

post-1761-0-55217800-1367873885.jpg

post-1761-0-69352100-1367873890.jpg

Obscurred shot of the 25th Infantry Division SSI being worn with an Airborne tab - 4th Brigade 25th ID - as well as a clearer picture of the subdued version. Also, an image of the Combat Service Identification Badge for the unit.

It was neat in 08/09 as the entire division was deployed at one time. :D

Found this one the OSS Wings worn solely as a Combat Patch, it as we see by the caption states it's Brigadier General G W Embury 84th Division, no date, but as both officers are wearing the new AG44 uniform it certainly would be around the late 50s early 60s, at this time the 84th Division was off Combat Status, and was now a Training Division, no idea on the narrative of the caption, ie what "The Chapter" means, maybe Knights of Columbus?

post-34986-0-11844300-1367941559.jpg

Now here's the rub, we see this guy is much differant in appearance to this General in this photo, the photo of "Major General G W Embury" Commander of the 84th Abn Div circa early 50s, we see he is more heavier,plus diffeant facial features, more over this "Embury" in the early 50s is as we see a Two Star Major General, while the Embury I posted is by the late 50s a One star Brigadier General. Perhaps what we're seeing is a captioning error on the original early 50s photo?

post-34986-0-37904800-1367941933.jpg

Hmm, on further study I think the patch is and UPSIDE DOWN Pacific Ocean Areas patch.

post-34986-0-45218900-1367942833.jpg

Note here the Star patterns match up with what we're seeing, also the base of the Arrow, here his shoulder is a bit distorted due to his arms being placed in front of him further distorting the design view of the patch, what do you all think, Pacific Oceans Area?

post-34986-0-11931500-1367942901.jpg

ReverendJake

Here's another one of the Brit SF wings being worn as an SSI. Marine Corps legend Peter J. Ortiz.

post-104618-0-60358200-1367960989.jpg

Third Herd

The Nebraska National Guard had some sort of Argriculture Team in Afghanistan and they were to help Afghan farmers grow something other than poppies. I think the team was made up of farmers from the Army and Air Guard.

Two examples of the 4025th Signal Group worn as a Combat Patch on original uniform coats, both were posted earlier in differant Forums by other members, one by rmoore, the other, errrrr.....I forgot.

post-34986-0-72743000-1368071122.jpgpost-34986-0-41148100-1368071148.jpg

This is an interesting photo. As the accompanying article http://kyngpaotest.com/adt-5-receive-deployment-patches/ states, this is a ceremony awarding the 3rd Infantry Division SSI as a combat patch to the soldiers and airmen of the Kentucky Agribusiness Development Team 5. I'm not sure what type of unit this is, but the guy being patched as well as the guy on the right are both clearly member of the Air Force as indicated by their U.S. Air Force tapes and rank badges on their uniforms. However, I believe that is an Army uniform they are wearing and the Kentucky State Area Command SSI is visible on one of the men in the background.

A friend of mine just returned from a deployment to Afghanistan with an Agri-business Development unit. They are very small units (about 10-15 on a team), who are tasked through Civil Affairs to go teach Afghans how to grow food-stuff crops instead of opium. They teach about soil chemistry, crop rotation, fertilization, irrigation, etc. The idea is to get at least a better than subsistence, legal ( non-drug) agriculture industry going in Afghanistan. Sometimes they work with an engineer btln. (to dig irrigation ditches, for example), but sometimes it's just 2-3 guys in a HMMWV with no other troops in sight. My friend reported receiving fire several times and feels lucky they never got ambushed or IEDed, being so isolated. I'm confident these guys earned those combat patches.

seanmc1114

I'm confident these guys earned those combat patches.

I wasn't questioning whether they earned the combat patches. I just think it's interesting that the Air Force guys all seem to be wearing Army uniforms with Army insignia (current unit SSI + combat patch) with only their Air Force tapes and rank patches distinguishing them from the soldiers. Of course with the proliferation of camouflage patterns and uniforms worn by the various branches nowadays, I can hardly keep up with who's wearing what now so for all I know they may be Air Force uniforms.

seanmc1114

I believe this is either USARV or 1st Signal Brigade being worn as a combat patch. Nothing unusual about either, but it appears to be full color when all other insignia is subdued. However, it could just be faded. It's hard to tell.

post-1761-0-27159900-1368126682.jpg