1921 U.S. Observers Wing

Jack's Son

This wing has a unique, massive construction. It conforms loosely to the November 19th, 1920 US Army Air Service Regulations as that of an Observer, Qualified as a Pilot. But, it is also a bit of an anomaly. It definitely has design characteristics that go back to WWI, especially the beveled-corner “O” at center, and in Duncan Campbell’s Revised Edition of Aviation Badges and Insignia of the United States Army 1913-1946, Duncan mentions a photo from 1918 where it is hard to discern, but the wing being worn appears to be this wing. This extraordinary United States Army Air Service (USAAS) duel-wing Balloon Observer badge is close to being one of a kind.

Research shows that only a small number of officers who received training as Balloon Observers at Langley Field, Virginia and Scott Field, Illinois in 1921 were able to get them before it was realized that the letters "US" in the center shield did not conform to Army regulations according to the rules of heraldry as defined by the Commission of Fine Arts on 14 November 1918, amended by the War Department on 11 October 1920 and 30 July 1921.

post-8213-0-78110600-1358820995_thumb.jpg

post-8213-0-59665700-1358821023_thumb.jpg

Hey J/S,

You've posted another wonderfully rare wing! Thanks for taking the time to share this remarkable U.S. aviation badge.

I'm almost embarrassed to say, but years ago I ran across a near-identical 1921 Observer's wing at the West Coast Historical Show and had the opportunity to buy it for only $350.00. I had never seen one before...and frankly the cheap price made me even more suspicious of it. After about ten minutes of in-hand inspection and contemplation, I returned it to the vendor's case. Another customer who had been watching over my shoulder quickly picked it up and bought it within seconds. In less than an hour, I saw that Observer's wing change hands several times and increase in value to thousands of dollars. Boy, did I feel like I had missed the boat while loafing on the dock! And several fellow Forum members who witnessed this same sequence of events will of course never let me forget it!

Russ

Boy, did I feel like I had missed the boat while loafing on the dock! And several fellow Forum members who witnessed this same sequence of events will of course never let me forget it!

I don't know what you are talking about! :) What type of buddy would continue to rub salt in the wound by saying "Hey, remember that time you didn't buy that super rare wing because it was too cheap....!" :lol:

Its only because you are such a gentleman wing collector with an excellent eye for true wing-beauty that we can continue to keep you humble....

I had a chance to see that wing later that same day. It was a true beauty. To me, it seems to have had an almost identical construction and feel as a Shreve-made wing. I am sure Cliff can correct me, but if I had to guess, I would say that the two wings were made by the same company. A real beauty of a wing.

I posted my unmarked Shreve-style wing below. My wing, like the one to start this thread, is also made up of 3 separate parts (the two wings and the center shield). While the wing pattern is different, the style is very similar, almost making me think that the same craftsman was involved in the making of both wings.

A stunning wing, and I only wish that I had been the one standing behind Russ that day... awaiting him to put that stunner down... ( oh behave :rolleyes: )

Patrick

post-1519-0-05079300-1359057894_thumb.jpg

A few pictures of Aviators wearing this wing.

post-8213-0-68836500-1358821147_thumb.jpg post-8213-0-41065100-1358821351.jpg

post-8213-0-43272300-1358821334.jpg

Robin,

Beautiful wing, however it doesn't fit into your WW1 collection. With that being said go ahead and send it to me and I will find a warm safe place for it. Where did you get the pic of Cpt Frederick Durrschmidt (first pic you posted)? I have this huge pic of him that came directly from the family. As you may well know he was killed in the crash of the airship Roma in 1921 I believe. Notice the silver plate on the bottom of the pic.

Terry

post-6022-0-35592600-1359086443.jpg

post-6022-0-26170800-1359086493.jpg

Robin,

......... Where did you get the pic of Cpt Frederick Durrschmidt (first pic you posted)? I have this huge pic of him that came directly from the family. As you may well know he was killed in the crash of the airship Roma in 1921 I believe. Notice the silver plate on the bottom of the pic.

Terry

WHY TERRY!! I do believe it came from YOU. You sent it to me shortly after I acquired this wing. :)

WHY TERRY!! I do believe it came from YOU. You sent it to me shortly after I acquired this wing. :)

Robin

See this is what happens when one gets old and senile!!! I knew I had seen it somewhere and low and behold there it was hanging on the wall. Me thinks that my socks are probably older than most of the members of this forum. This getting old sucks.

Terry

Coming from a Navy family, I can say that the feeling was that the only thing that the Air Force never got away from was a well stocked O-club bar and a golf course. Everything else, from stylish wings and good looking uniforms, to prop-driven aircraft, were negotiable. Now, they even seem to be moving away from human piloted airplanes. Fly a drone for a few hours in an air conditioned double wide trailer and then hit the links! Just kidding... just kidding.

Coming from a Navy family, I can say that the feeling was that the only thing that the Air Force never got away from was a well stocked O-club bar and a golf course. Everything else, from stylish wings and good looking uniforms, to prop-driven aircraft, were negotiable. Now, they even seem to be moving away from human piloted airplanes. Fly a drone for a few hours in an air conditioned double wide trailer and then hit the links! Just kidding... just kidding.

LOL, You're right.I was AF for 4yrs and they, we, had it good.The best golf course I ever played was at Clark AB.The uniforms were, and I think still are, ugliest in the military.But those older WW1 and inter-war wings were the sharpest.

I lived in Subic for a couple of years in the early 80's. Our high school teams used to go to Clark to play football against their teams. I always felt bad for those guys, as we had all the beaches.

• 1 year later...

I see some information on Fredrick J Durrschmidt Capt US Army killed in the Roma crash in 1922

He was my great uncle born in Derby CT in 1893.

As far as I know he recieved the Silver Star for his service and was a West Point Graduate and a member of the US Army Air Service.

Any one with information for the family tree would be greatly appreciated.

Email is [email protected]. Thanks in advance.

I still visit his grave, yet wonder about his service to the Army.