CCKW, M8 Greyhound, M3 Halftrack etc...

BriansBricks

Ever since I was a kid, I always loved messing around with Lego. I'm not sure if these qualify as models, as they are computer renders. I use a program known as ML-CAD, which was later adopted by Lego and redistributed as Lego Digital Designer. The models usually range from 500-1,500 pieces, depending on the size of the actual model and details. More details means smaller pieces, which means more pieces. I'm hoping to create the models in real-life in the coming months, but thousands of bricks are quite expensive.

One of the hardest parts of modeling in Lego is scale, as pieces only come in a very limited number of sizes. An excellent example are dishes that are often used for road wheels only come in the sizes of 1 stud, 2 studs and 3 studs. This obviously makes it hard to re-create different vehicle's roadwheels, which in turn makes it hard to correctly scale the rest of the model. Most Allied vehicles fall under 1:35 to 1:48.

Only the main pictures have detailed rendering, but the others are sufficient.

M7 Priest

8187077193_5ae5e4b447_c.jpg

8233798202_5df91bbfb7_c.jpg

8233798112_665b55b962_c.jpg

I don't think I've built the WW2 ones that I've listed, but I have gotten around to building some aircraft. I could never find decals for some of these, so I made some in photoshop and printed them out.

HH-60 Jayhawk: Sikorsky HH-60 Jayhawk

UH-60L Blackhawk: Siskorsky UH-60L BlackHawk

A-10 Thunderbolt: Fairchild Republic A-10 Thunderbolt II

SR-71 Blackbird: Lockheed Martin SR-71 Blackbird

F-15C Eagle: McDonnell Douglas F-15C Eagle

CH-46 Sea Knight: Boeing CH-46 Sea Knight

AH-64 Apache: Boeing AH-64 Apache

F-22 Raptor: Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor

UH-1 Huey: Bell UH-1 Huey

M1 Abrams: M1A1 Abrams main-battle tank

M2A3 Bradley: http://www.flickr.com/photos/brian_fitzsimmons/sets/72157629383547230/

Yep, I haven't bought a kit with the intention to make the model from the kit, for about 3 years. Bricklink.com is my primary source, it's sort of like an eBay for pieces, more common ones can be half a cent to a cent a piece, but some that were only produced for a year or so can fetch up to $20.

So not only do you have to find sufficient quantities of appropriately shaped pieces, they also all have to be of the appropriate colours! I recall someone posting a picture on the forum one time of a huge LEGO model of the USS Nimitz (or some other USN nuclear carrier) complete with flight group on deck. Incredible!!

I know of another massive build that I saw at a Lego Convention once, the USS Intrepid in 1:40 scale, 23 feet!

Project Intrepid