Duel War Aviator Question?

mark leonard

I know there were alot of WWII pilots and air crewmen that flew combat in Korea.My question is how common was WWII aviators flying combat in Vietnam.Thanks for any help.

Normally, any Lt Col flying in Vietnam could have seen service in WW2. If you can find how many Lt Col and higher pilots served in Vietnam, you should be close to the truth. Robin Olds and Chappie James are the most famous examples.

I have a close family friend that was the Skipper for VAH-4 (A-3s) during early Viet Nam. He was a veteran of WW2 and Korea. I would imagine most Squadron COs (early VietNam time-frame) in the USAF and USN probably had WW2 and Korea experience. My friend eventually retired as a Navy Captain in 1973.

As a side note. I just read Robin Old's book "Fighter Pilot" what a great read. He actually did not have any Korea time. He was WW2 and Viet Nam.

Chris

Too many to name. Lots of Ww2 pilots were still flying in Vietnam. A friend of mine flew combat in the MTO in P39s and Jugs. He later flew Skyraiders in combat in Vietnam as an advisor to the South Vietnamese.

I had a friend who flew P-39's covering the Panama Canal Zone during WWII, and then flew EC-47's during Vietnam. As has been commented, I think many of your senior officers had similar service. They might not have still been flying fighters, but there was a premium on skilled pilots.

Johnny Signor

5 Kill Ace Lt.Col.James Empey , Flew P-51 D and Spitfires WW2, and O-1 Bird Dog Vietnam and F-106 somewhere in between

I know him personally

Johnny

I would agree with the statement that most senior officers serving during Vietnam would have served during WWII. It takes about 20 years to become an LTC.

In my collection, I have a flight jacket of a Marine who flew transports at Guadalcanal and later flew helicopters in Vietnam.

Read Mike Novosel's story on the link above. I have a friend who was a Crew Chief that flew on the helicopter that Mike Novosel flew to earn his MOH. My Friend was awarded a Silver Star for his part in that action. Danny

WW 2 Aces Robin Olds, Chuck Yeager, Bud Anderson to name a few. As stated above, most were senior officers. All 3 of these guys were full colonel wing commanders. Jim Kasler was another that had WW2 missions but he was a Korean Ace. Others like Boots Blesse were Korean Aces but had no WW 2 time.

Randy

• 4 weeks later...

Col Chester Van Etten flew in WWII, occupied Germany, Flt Instructor Wing CO. at Randolph AFB and Thoule, AFB with an F4 Sq. Not a fav of mine and he passed about 8 months ago.