WWII Mounted Impressions

tsakers85

Can anyone provide info on DIs for the 252nd and 253rd Quartermaster Remount Squadrons and perhaps the SSI they might have worn?

I have a feeling the SSI for troops at Fort Reno, OK may have been that of the 8th Service Command.

Well elements of both Sqns went to CBI,and the only complete uniform i have comes form an A Troop,253rd fell

i have his campaing hat,wool coat,breeches,pith helmet,boos,spurs and a bunch of others bits and bobs

i dont believe there was any authorised DIs for any of the remount Squadrons

img890_zps5c6425f6.jpg

some remount men at Reno

mulesplus_2_zps695d9dc8.jpg

Thanks for the info. Great Reno photos by the way!

You wouldn't happen to have info on cavalry units stationed in Oklahoma would you?

1430016-Copy.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

Im not sure if the 25rd evero got past Troop A,B and a HQ detachment,in fact im not sure if of the remount Sqn got to full strength.They seem to be spead out all over the place.

I have some stuff from Troop B,252nd Remount Sqn as "India detachment"

I have a campaign hat with an enlisted Vet corps collar disc thru the vent (photos soonish) from the 253rd group

most of the "work" pics show a typical mix of any HBT with chino shirts and well loved campaign hats

And here is a pic of B troopers from the 252nd remount Sqn at Ft Bliss

sorry about the quality

its helmet liners,boots,breeches and campaign hats

the 252nd remount squadron processed the surplus animals of the 1st Cavalry Division

I had something in the pipes for a while

I aproached Osprey and they said that they had a regulaer writer on the topic already and then the Rottman US Cav in the Pacific came out with some of myphotos (uncredited) he did suggest people visit www.militaryhorse.org

im still working away at it (between work and being a super dad)

Sam

Hey Sam,

Outstanding images mate, I collected Light Horse gear for a long time and am very interested in Aussie Remounts. Its amazing that you have such a collection in Australia...well done :)

I think this should be moved from here as it is not re enacting/repro related and would be better served in the displays or research forums. Hopefully the Moderators will shift it to its correct place and I am sure you will create a hive of interest.

Cheers for posting mate

Sean

Can anyone provide info on DIs for the 252nd and 253rd Quartermaster Remount Squadrons and perhaps the SSI they might have worn?

I have a feeling the SSI for troops at Fort Reno, OK may have been that of the 8th Service Command.

I have a roster for Troop B,252nd Sqn if you are interested

Hey Sam,

I collected Light Horse gear for a long time and am very interested in Aussie Remounts.

That reminds me that when the 112th Cavalry was on New Caledonia they received Australian Walers.

Copyofimg557.jpg

112th Trooper on New Caledonia with a lend lease horse

Most of the Australian horses went to the 5307th in India after the 112th Cavalry was dismounted in theatre.