Auction Finds...WAC yard longs...Okinawa items...

Morlok

I drove out to another estate auction last week & picked up a few neat items. Two yard long photos of Company F 2nd Battalion, Women's Army Corps Training Center, Camp Lee Virginia. I thought these were really neat, as they are all wearing M1s, and they are signed on the back by most of the women. Next is a Air/Sea Rescue Chart for Okinawa, marked Confidential May 1945. Also grabbed a bunch of photos from Okinawa. Included in the photos are 2 Christmas cards from Okinawa 1945 & a personal photo of what looks like a Japanese Soldier. It has Japanese writing in pencil on the back, and what appears to be blood stains. Not what I usually collect, but I thought these were worth picking up!!

post-67213-0-96686700-1358784094.jpg

Great WAC pic! I collect womans stuff, and I have alot of small group shots of 10-20 of them, but I have not seen such a large contingent!

The notes on the back are to the same woman, so I assume she is in both photos. There are a few jokes about "taking it easy on the lighter fluid"...wish I knew the story behind them!!

Nice finds. You use grenades as paperweights? :huh: What do you drive to work, a tank? :lol: No trouble with traffic I'm sure.

HA!! They were the closest heavy objects when I snapped the photos!! A tank would be much better than my Jetta...although I have a late model Willys Jeep Wrangler that I drive when I want to stop at every gas station!!!

What kind of tank? Perhaps by some slight chance a half track could be mine in the future, or at least I wish. :rolleyes: There was one a few months ago on craigslist in Green Bay for $9500, but it was a total project.

What kind of tank? Perhaps by some slight chance a half track could be mine in the future, or at least I wish. :rolleyes: There was one a few months ago on craigslist in Green Bay for $9500, but it was a total project.

That would require quite a garage!! I have always been a bit of a VW nut. My next purchase will be a military model VW Iltis...They go anywhere & look really strange!! Plus, the use a mix of early jetta & original beetle parts. A very strange vehicle indeed...although not a US item!!