USMC Reising sling

Fixbayonets!

I was wondering what the members here think of these USMC BOYT marked Reising slings? Over the years I have heard both positive & negative opinions about the markings being original. These slings appear in a few well known refernece books but it is still one of those few items in my collection I view with some skepticism. Has anyone ever seen a period photo of this sling with the markings visible? Any & all opinions welcome, thanks!

Rob

post-168-0-23936200-1358783526.jpg

Corpsmancollector

I'm interested to see how this topic develops as like you Rob, I have heard both good and bad things. I'm on the fence personally as they do appear in a number of reference books but I don't think I've ever seen a period photo of one in use.

Will

I was wondering what the members here think of these USMC BOYT marked Reising slings? Over the years I have heard both positive & negative opinions about the markings being original. These slings appear in a few well known refernece books but it is still one of those few items in my collection I view with some skepticism. Has anyone ever seen a period photo of this sling with the markings visible? Any & all opinions welcome, thanks!

Rob

I have an identical sling on my M1A1, only it is marked "F-S CO/1943". Jack Angolia

It's not a just a Reising sling...it's the same as the standard carbine sling....notwithstanding the authenticity of the BOYT mark.

It's not a just a Reising sling...it's the same as the standard carbine sling....notwithstanding the authenticity of the BOYT mark.

Sabrejet, they are different. The lift the dot stud is placed a little further down on the reising sling, the photo below shows the resing sling (on top) with 3 C tip M-1 carbine slings. I believe the carbine sling is also longer than the Resing sling.

Rob

post-168-0-89354000-1358789436.jpg

Totally ignorant about sling...not my field. But an old collector of pouches. So my little contribution is about Boyt markings on web stuff. Here two different M1 Carbine pouches with identical markings, and a FA pouch. You can compare the font with that of the sling. Also has to be said that Boyt marked their leather suff (like holsters) with the tipical logo with the big B and T enclosing the date...

Oh, just a note: the font on the sling seems just a little "slim" if compared to that "fat" on the pouches...

Hope this can help...

Fausto

post-8381-0-82169400-1358796085.jpg

post-8381-0-95221800-1358796095.jpg

post-8381-0-91605700-1358796105.jpg

Totally ignorant about sling...not my field. But an old collector of pouches. So my little contribution is about Boyt markings on web stuff. Here two different M1 Carbine pouches with identical markings, and a FA pouch. You can compare the font with that of the sling. Also has to be said that Boyt marked their leather suff (like holsters) with the tipical logo with the big B and T enclosing the date...

Oh, just a note: the font on the sling seems just a little "slim" if compared to that "fat" on the pouches...

Hope this can help...

Fausto

Good eye on the Boyt marking variations Fausto. The U.S.M.C. marking on the sling is also "slim" if compared to packs, cartridge belts, pistol belts, etc. Not sure if that is the mistake of the person who made up a fake stamp or just another variation by Boyt.

Rob

Charlie Flick

Hi Rob:

Take a look at the reference page on the Reisings put together by Dave Albert (dalbert) who is also an active member here. It illustrates a genuine sling and one of the recent reproductions/fakes and discusses the differences. It is found under paragraph 6 so you have to scroll down quite a bit.

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9688

Hope that helps you.

Regards,

Charlie

Thanks for the link to the reference Charlie, he makes some interesting observations. First of all, he says that there were original U.S.M.C. BOYT -43- marked Reising slings. He shows what he believes to be an original and a reproduction. I compared my sling to what he shows & said: my sling measures 42 inches, this is the correct length for an original, the repro measures 45 1/2 inches. The metal tips on an original should be swaged (I think a specific tool was used), my sling tips have uniform indents that would suggest this, he says the repro tips were pressed & pounded. The color of an original should be more of a mustard color and the same color of a Kerr or Thompson sling, I compared my Reising sling to the color of my Kerr and Thompson sling, it is closer in color to the Thompson sling and not the light yellowish color of the repro. So according to this article this is all good news for my sling being authentic. Now for the markings. The placement of the markings on the original he shows is in the same place as mine, the repro looks to be stamped upside down. The BOYT -43- stamp looks to be placed lower on the repro, the top of the letters of the USMC are in line with top of the letter of the BOYT stamp on the original. Again, this is all good news for my sling until we get to the font of the U.S.M.C. and then I get a little lost. The font he shows on the repro looks closer to my sling than the original he shows, maybe it is just my eyes or the angle of the photo he shows but that's the way it looks to me.

Rob

I've had one of those USMC marked slings for many years, but I'm always been suspicious of it. It just doesn't feel right to me. For comparison, here is a real unmarked Reising sling at the top, and a Carbine sling at the bottom. The top sling is 1" wide webbing very much like all WW2 straps are made. The USMC marked sling is thin in comparison, but still much like the carbine sling in thickness.

s1.JPG

Hope this can help...

Fausto

Thanks for the photos Fausto ... I didn't go far enough in my comment, and the font seems a little "slim" as you say, but serifs are not mandatory, you're right ;)

Corpsmancollector

And my Reisings, just for fun.

post-61-0-24757000-1358828183_thumb.jpg

robin, I was hoping to scroll down and see a picture of this! WOW! The 55 in particular is a beauty...Thanks for taking the time to post...

Will

The Boyt stamp doesn't look familiar to me ... it should have serifs in my opinion.

To my eyes, the "USMC" does appear to have serifs - and my eyes are pretty old ;) .

Tim

To my eyes, the "USMC" does appear to have serifs - and my eyes are pretty old ;) .

Tim

Yes, the USMC does but no the Boyt ... you're eyes are still very accurate B)

For some reason when I first look at the sling the weave pattern and composition of the material just not look right to me for WWII. I do not have one of the slings in question so it is just one of those first intuitions you have after looking at other original/repro web betls. IMHO it also does not have the same characteristics to the sling in Mr. Flicks' reference link. Just an observation and opinion on my part. Very nice Reisings Robinb.

For some reason when I first look at the sling the weave pattern and composition of the material just not look right to me for WWII. I do not have one of the slings in question so it is just one of those first intuitions you have after looking at other original/repro web betls. IMHO it also does not have the same characteristics to the sling in Mr. Flicks' reference link. Just an observation and opinion on my part. Very nice Reisings Robinb.

Your observations could very well be correct & I agree, like Robin said, it does not feel right. There is another aspect of this sling that I find interesting and that is it shows age. The material show some areas of age staining and it has that old field gear smell we all know & love. The hardware even shows some wear & oxidation. This is not to say it has to be original because of this, maybe someone put these slings together using original materials? Maybe the sling is real & the stamp is fake? Maybe the entire sling is fake and someone artificially aged it? I would like to come up with something conclusive but so far it looks like the mystery continues............

Rob

• 4 months later...
Hürtgenwald

I was wondering if this photo on the right shows a Reising sling on a carbine? It's small and grainy, but it looks like a D style metal tip to me on a khaki sling. Russell Islands January 1945?

Brad

post-122270-0-93873900-1371409878.jpg

I bought a H&R 65 trainer that was in the Marine Corps Serial Range. The guy who had it, bought it from a USMC Colonel in the 50's. That is what he told me at least.

The H&R came with one of these slings Boyt slings. When I asked him about the sling. He said it was on there when he got it from the Colonel.

Might make sense if these were made for the trainers.