Killed in action 45 years ago today on Hill 881S during the siege of Khe Sanh

devildog34

As I was leaving country on tour 1, my company was packing up to head North to support the Marines and the incoming Cav. I am not sorry I missed early '68. Wonderful narrative and a tribute to heros.

Semper Fi!

Here's a link to the Marine Corps Museum's Hill 881S exhibit: (http://www.virtualusmcmuseum.com/Vietnam_11.asp#)

If you click on the "Related Media" tab, there's an interview with Col Dabney.

Thank you for this! I have been to the museum numerous times and love this interactive set up they have done. Really put's as much of a feel for the "isolation" that India Co and the rest of the companies defending the hills around the base felt. I really want to take my dad to D.C. so he can see it. He was at the combat base with L Co. 3/26 during the siege but lost a very good buddy from boot camp and ITR on Hill 861 named Kenneth V. Goodman.

Semper Fi

As I was leaving country on tour 1, my company was packing up to head North to support the Marines and the incoming Cav. I am not sorry I missed early '68. Wonderful narrative and a tribute to heros.

Hueytaxi thank you for your service. It's a special honor to hear accolades on this particular post from someone who fought there and understands the circumstances of that war more than people like me will ever know. I know that it was sort of a defining moment for my dad as a 19 year old Pvt. when that first round slammed into the combat base at 0503am, ushering in his baptism of fire, and somehow it seems a bizzare irony that exactly 10 years to the date after that defining day I was born so Khe Sanh is sort of a unique event from my perspective. We collect and honor these men through the items of theirs that we amass and I know that in this sense this item is no different than others I have posted but it's difficult to look at this and not think of what would have been or could have been and it sort of hits home for me personally a bit more and to think of these other items we have and collect holding the same eeiry significance for others.

Semper Fi

Kevin

• 8 months later...

I created an account on this forum specifically to reply to this post. The Navy Corpsman that is talked about is actually my father. The only other time I had heard about some of these experiences was in the book KHE SANH A SIEGE IN THE CLOUDS . I'm not sure if you used excerpts from the book but the account of what happened was a little different than the book. It was a little eye opening to read these details since the only thing he ever related to me were humorous stories that really didn't involve any of the situations like these. Anyway, I just wanted to thank you for relating this story tell you that I'm sorry for your loss.

HM1 Ray (FMF) (Ret)

I created an account on this forum specifically to reply to this post. The Navy Corpsman that is talked about is actually my father. The only other time I had heard about some of these experiences was in the book KHE SANH A SIEGE IN THE CLOUDS . I'm not sure if you used excerpts from the book but the account of what happened was a little different than the book. It was a little eye opening to read these details since the only thing he ever related to me were humorous stories that really didn't involve any of the situations like these. Anyway, I just wanted to thank you for relating this story tell you that I'm sorry for your loss.

HM1 Ray (FMF) (Ret)

PM sent to you.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...