2 nice SF BDUs and a "mystery" piece Opinions wanted.

HGButtentee

Hi,

i would like to show you my recent finds. I am one of those collecting an era most frown upon as to early to collect.

Considering I live in Germany I consider nicely patched BDUs even a nicer find as those of you who can gra them of Thrift stores.

Anyway, here are two nice BDU Tops from the same Guy

findouun6.jpg

And another BDU Top that is kind of a mistery to me.

All the patches seem right, there is a nice Ghost of the missing SF Patches but what irritades me is that the SF BoS seem to have been attached later then all tho other patches.

Only Reason that would make Sense to me would be that the jacket was worn in 1987 when the BoS was changed.

What do you Guys think ? Your Feedback is appreciated .

top54uhe.jpg

stitching2ru0e.jpg

patchaju51.jpg

23rdidr2uok.jpg

boso5u8n.jpg

Look's like the missing patches are an 'AIRBORNE' tab and JFK Spec Warfare CNTR patch.He probably had INF box and the switched to SF box when authorized.

i would like to show you my recent finds. I am one of those collecting an era most frown upon as to early to collect.

Whats rather funny is that these people would probably be the same people saying "Wow I wish I lived back during the 50s when all this surplus came up. I would have bought everything." Its kind of the same idea now, you're just picking it up while its cheap. It will turn out to be a long term investment, but hey, at least you got it super cheap.

Dent

"He probably had INF box and the switched to SF box when authorized."

just what I was thinking....

Any chance on more info on this person anyone ?

Only Reason that would make Sense to me would be that the jacket was worn in 1987 when the BoS was changed.

Yes that's a typically 1980's BDU, what with the purple cast to the black camo.

Well thank you all for your feedback, I can put it aside then knowing it is most likely a legit jaket.

Yes that's a typically 1980's BDU, what with the purple cast to the black camo.

Yeah, not quite first issue as it has green tags ( first run has white ) , but very early 80's. If the chest pockets bellow like Nam jackets and RDF ones ( fold is on the chest rather arm pits ) they are usually pre 85'ish.

They do fade very funky the early ones unlike the modern stuff that don't.

It's collectors like you that made me appreciate modern Militaria and keep my eyes open for unusual patches.

Just picked up an awesome coat yesterday, ill post it tomorrow!

Very nice jacket!

LF

Very much looking forward to see your coat.

I will have to check the chest pockets, that will narrow the years even further down.

Still, anyone think of a way I could research the owner ? Google did not bring up much.

Nice finds! I thought these were called DCUs or ACUs. Is a BDU the cold weather variation? If not what's the difference between these and the other two jacket types. Also what's the difference between DCUs and ACUs and these BDUs?

ok, here is my quick answer regarding the differences between them, It is does not includem variations of each ( for example DBDU earls or late)

BDU = Battle Dress Uniform = available in Woodland Camo

DBDU = Desert Battle Dress Uniform = Same Cut in 6 col. Desert Camo

DCU=Desert Combat Uniform = Same cut as before in 3 col. Desert Camo

in between CCU = Close Combat Uniform available in 3 col. Desert

followed by an new design Uniform the

ACU = Advanced Combat Uniform = available in UCP ( Univeral Camouflage Pattern) and OCP ( Multicam Afghanistan exclusive, more or less)

FRACU = Fire Retardant Advanced Combat Uniform = available in UCP and OCP

this list is by no means complete, there is NWU in AOR1 and AOR2 and of course all of the Crye Multicam stuff issued to SF. and of course there are a bunch of variations trough the Life Cycle ... like Winter weight BDUs, Tabs on the back etc. etc....

Heck, writing about it maybe i should do a comprehensive histora of just the main US Combat Uniform after Vietnam