New HBO mini series on WWII about to be made. (Masters of the Air)

history-buff1944

What ever it was in that trailer, was typical Hollywood BS. Guys flying at altitude with dangling oxygen masks, airplanes with incorrect national markings and WAY too many B-17's packed in tight and way more German fighters in that attacking formation than you can believe. No thanks!. I've been to too many of these stupid Hollywood wartime flying movies that depend on CGI. Remember all those Japanese planes in that horrible movie "Pearl Harbor"? This one looks about the same: as if it was created by some pimple faced kid who designed video games.

If you want to see a decent WWII ETO air combat flick, looks at "The War Lover" with Steve McQueen.

A sign of life....

from recent news....published 09 March 2018.

http://www.pennlive.com/news/2018/03/our_strength_comes_from_our_fa.html

Rick Rovegno didn't talk about himself or his own accomplishments when he took the podium Friday night to accept the Exchange Club of Carlisle's 2017 Molly Pitcher Award.

Instead, he spoke about a man he barely knew, yet greatly admires.

That man, his grandfather Eugene "Butch" Rovegno, was something of a 20th century legend, a military aviator who flew and fought in both world wars.

It was evident from the occasional frog in his throat that Rick Rovegno, a former Cumberland County commissioner who with the Pitcher Award has become the Carlisle Area's de facto citizen of the year, is more than grateful to have Butch in his family tree.

He spoke of how Butch, despite being in his late 40s at the time, volunteered to fly on dangerous missions with the crews of the Army Air Force's 100th Bombardment Group as they pounded Nazi Germany into submission during World War II.

His grandfather didn't have to go into that cauldron. He was the engineering officer, in charge of making sure the planes were fit to fly and fight. He went anyway for the sake of his men, Rovegno said.

And then Rovegno, a South Middleton Township resident, dropped a bomb of his own. He said he has spoken with a writer for the latest World War II saga planned by the team of Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg. That installment, which would follow "Band of Brothers" and "The Pacific," is to focus on the 100th Bomb Group, a.k.a. the "Bloody 100th" , he said.

Guys, the script is not even done yet. Don't expect cameras to roll for at least a year or two. I'd bet a finished show airing on HBO wouldn't be seen for quite some time. I'd be surprised if it airs before, say, sometime in 2022 at the earliest. I would bet on it being later than that.

What ever it was in that trailer, was typical Hollywood BS. Guys flying at altitude with dangling oxygen masks, airplanes with incorrect national markings and WAY too many B-17's packed in tight and way more German fighters in that attacking formation than you can believe. No thanks!. I've been to too many of these stupid Hollywood wartime flying movies that depend on CGI. Remember all those Japanese planes in that horrible movie "Pearl Harbor"? This one looks about the same: as if it was created by some pimple faced kid who designed video games.
If you want to see a decent WWII ETO air combat flick, looks at "The War Lover" with Steve McQueen.

Yeah, dangling O2 masks have always been a staple of aviation movies as long as they've been used in real life. Can't have actors showing just their eyes, I guess. Anyone's that ever flown in a military airplane on O2 knows better than this.
Other than the masks, the interior shots in that independent movie clip weren't bad looking. The cold temp breath didn't look too bad and the B-17 they used generally looked good on the inside (but was lacking a few things, like everything under the outside of the top turret). The GCI lacked any basic knowledge of how airplanes fly. The "B-17 sandwich" shot is downright laughable.

• 9 months later...

Buddy of mine sent something, but it once again said "Mighty Eighth," so I doubt it was credible. I sure wish they'd straighten up and fly right...

No updates as of yet that Ive seen, I know theres been ongoing work on the script and discussions with HBO.

Just a reminder regarding some perpetuating myths:

It has been confirmed that the series will be called Masters of the Air by the series head writer

The mighty eighth trailer thats been going around is not involved with this project and allegedly a portfolio piece of sorts.

I did have a chance to meet the head writer sometime back and hearing the level of detail, genuine dedication, and excitement he has about the project (and that Tom Hanks reportedly has in it) gave me a ton of confidence. He was geeking out about the subject as much as anyone there and hearing how determined the crew was to get the story right was extremely heartening. I know theres still room for mistakes but I firmly believe this project is in good hands. Its going to be awesome.

• 7 months later...
tdogchristy90

Posted August 22, 2019. Who knows what "soon" means with stuff like this. Could be next week or nine months. Regardless, it's the first update in a long time, seems like we are getting close. Finally. Hopefully it'll be a substantial update be is a release date or something like a teaser trailer. Hang tough indeed!

post-13708-0-18118700-1566727088_thumb.jpeg

Posted August 22, 2019. Who knows what "soon" means with stuff like this. Could be next week or nine months. Regardless, it's the first update in a long time, seems like we are getting close. Finally. Hopefully it'll be a substantial update be is a release date or something like a teaser trailer. Hang tough indeed!

most promising sign to come in some time. I hope its finally going to production. I think with Hulu's Catch-22, The Cold Blue, which HBO chose to add to their lineup interestingly enough, and the upcoming Midway movie remake perhaps Hanks/Spielberg/HBO feel now is the time? keeping my fingers crossed!

• 1 month later...
tdogchristy90

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/11/entertainment/masters-of-air-steven-spielberg-tom-hanks-apple/index.html?no-st=1570824409

Long and short of it. HBO passed on the project, it has been picked up my Apple and will be the first serious by Apple. Like before, the same team is developing it, it's just switch from HBO to Apple as part of Apples streaming service.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/11/entertainment/masters-of-air-steven-spielberg-tom-hanks-apple/index.html?no-st=1570824409

Long and short of it. HBO passed on the project, it has been picked up my Apple and will be the first serious by Apple. Like before, the same team is developing it, it's just switch from HBO to Apple as part of Apples streaming service.

Thanks for the update and the link.

Cant you just sign up for Apple TV+ for $4.99/month and then cancel when your done watching the series? Most streaming services let you cancel anytime.

tdogchristy90

That is my plan. Then picked it up on DVD.

Cant you just sign up for Apple TV+ for $4.99/month and then cancel when your done watching the series? Most streaming services let you cancel anytime.

Some streaming services also have a trial period....like Hulu. I did that and watched Catch 22 then quit. Maybe Apple will offer something like that too.

My only fear is that they'll hold onto it digital for a while... Netflix has a great documentary about a screwball minor league team that I'd like to own, but last I checked, it's basically proprietary.

That is my plan. Then picked it up on DVD.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope it gets made and doesn't end up in development hell.

A lot of international newspapers have already announced its release on Apple. We are talking Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg here. Both very big names and WW2 enthusiasts themselves. I've no doubt it will be made. The only real remaining question is when. I have a feeling we will be watching this at some point in the coming 2 years.

BoB: 2000

The Pacific: 2010

Masters of the Air: 2020?

I've read the book by Donald Miller and if it's anything like it, it's going to blow our socks off. The stories are pretty intense. Even just reading them makes the hairs on your neck stand up.

• 2 months later...
tdogchristy90

Another update. Masters of the Air still being done by Apple TV as reported before. But now an update for a release in 2020.

post-13708-0-96414300-1578206767_thumb.png