New HBO mini series on WWII about to be made. (Masters of the Air)

history-buff1944

From my understanding the book will be loosely followed and the series will revolve more around the exploits of the 100th Bomb Group. This is based on the fact that more than one veteran interview has been done with 100th BG members. Much like the veteran interviews in Band of Brothers before each episode.

However it plays out, I am really looking forward to it!!

JD

• 3 months later...
Schofield1943

I had really begun to lose hope this was ever going to be made so all of these updates are great to see.

That article says it has a half billion dollar budget! At 10 episodes that's a $50 million budget per episode - and they're only one hour long. Unreal.

Good news from the screenwriter today...

Ike says go!

Untitled2.png

I've been following him on twitter too and it's great seeing his updates, it's awesome to see all this come together and I am extremely excited for this! Haven't had a good big-budget thing about the AAF in 25 years!

Schofield1943

At roughly $50 million per episode - with each episode at 60 minutes from end to end - it breaks down to roughly $833K per MINUTE!

I know that's a crummy way to break down a film budget because certain aspects have costs that are significantly higher than others - but this to me indicates that the CGI will be both enormous and quite good.

And lots and lots and lots of extras.

I must have missed the reference but can somebody confirm for me which book the series is based on?

I am assuming Ambrose's book?

Nooo No more Ambrose!

Masters of the Air is actually very in depth and incredibly well researched. I've already read through it twice and it's a fantastic overview of the campaign!

So just an update, I asked John Orloff a question on twitter and he noted that the miniseries was never slated to be called "The Mighty Eighth" and will be called "Masters of the Air"
I guess the news sites reporting on it were still mixed up by that youtube teaser trailer for the other project. Just figured I'd let y'all know!

So just an update, I asked John Orloff a question on twitter and he noted that the miniseries was never slated to be called "The Mighty Eighth" and will be called "Masters of the Air"

I guess the news sites reporting on it were still mixed up by that youtube teaser trailer for the other project. Just figured I'd let y'all know!

This is what I have maintained all along. The supposed film titled "the mighty eighth" looks interesting, but mediocre in the trailer that has been posted for years now.

I have much higher hopes for "masters of the air"...

Props to you for doing what so many reporters fail to do..actually asking a question to a primary source...!

Thanks for posting.

• 5 months later...
HeatherUnitCoins

Frank and I are extremely excited for this series! We hope it's on the level of "Band of Brothers" or at least "Generation Kill" :)

Just so happens that we recently designed and built some coins for the National Mighty Eighth Air Museum in Georgia. If anyone is interested in seeing what they look like, you can check them out here: Commemorative Coin

vintageproductions

I thought the Mighty 8th was a completely separate movie that was being done for theatrical release while Masters Of The Sky was for HBO.

• 4 weeks later...

That's what i believe, there have been posts citing folks involved in the production that have differentiated between the two.

All I know is that the series better be better than the trailer. As it is, it is no better than a cheesy History Channel documentary. Seriously, a plane landing on another and flying like that for even a second? The CGI is terrible. I certainly hope it gets better than this. The errors go on.....

-Ski

That trailer is not from Hanks and Spielberg. It's an entirely separate film, which has also yet to come to fruition.

But....you will find a jillion online articles that claim they are the same.

I just did a news search on this topic last week, and essentially there was no new reliable information.

• 6 months later...
tdogchristy90

Any news on how it's going? Release date?

Been waiting for so many years now..

John Orloff is writing the script. I check his Twitter every now and then. He's really close to finishing the script. So script is almost done. Idk what that means for time frame however.