New HBO mini series on WWII about to be made. (Masters of the Air)

history-buff1944

I am pretty confident they will do a good job considering their track record. I personally wouldn't want anyone else to do it.

JD

• 3 months later...
Dirt Detective

I believe this was from another project from a few years ago.

Could be..I got it from this http://enigmasmovies.com/news/The-Mighty-Eighth-Teaser

It says this..but you coud be right.

"The series is made for HBO and Steven Spielberg, Tom Hanks and Gary Goetzman again will serve as executive producers via Hanks and Goetzman’s Playtone and Spielberg’s Amblin Television. These are the same people behind Band of Brothers and The Pacific and like these previous series, The MIghty Eighth ia based on the book by Donald L. Miller’s Masters of the Air: America’s Bomber Boys Who Fought the Air War Against Nazi Germany".

• 2 weeks later...

Could be..I got it from this http://enigmasmovies.com/news/The-Mighty-Eighth-Teaser

It says this..but you coud be right.

"The series is made for HBO and Steven Spielberg, Tom Hanks and Gary Goetzman again will serve as executive producers via Hanks and Goetzman’s Playtone and Spielberg’s Amblin Television. These are the same people behind Band of Brothers and The Pacific and like these previous series, The MIghty Eighth ia based on the book by Donald L. Miller’s Masters of the Air: America’s Bomber Boys Who Fought the Air War Against Nazi Germany".

Yeahh don't trust that video

They haven't even started filming yet last I heard, I doubt they'd be far enough along to have a teaser come out.

Plus the quality in that is god awful

That clip is from a completely different project. Someone added wrong information to it. As mentioned, Masters of the Air is just now getting legs. I'm sure we will get far superior scenes than the above clip.

JD

I made the mistake myself before I had read Masters of the Air and got confused. I think that other clip is from a project called the "Mighty Eighth" or something like that.

There's a very strong possibility that Bassingbourn will be used for filming. Home of the 91st Bomb Group. The Paris Island scenes from Full Metal Jacket were filmed there and most of the runway is still intact. Duxford is just down the road. Ideal !

Rich

There's a very strong possibility that Bassingbourn will be used for filming. Home of the 91st Bomb Group. The Paris Island scenes from Full Metal Jacket were filmed there and most of the runway is still intact. Duxford is just down the road. Ideal !

Rich

My understanding from being a life member of the 91st BG association is that the runways were used for liason aircraft for a while but no way a B-17 could land or take off there. Besides, it's a current MoD training site and has changed an awful lot since its days as an RAF field. It'd be far easier to use one of the other former unmodified RAF fields for this...

My understanding from being a life member of the 91st BG association is that the runways were used for liason aircraft for a while but no way a B-17 could land or take off there. Besides, it's a current MoD training site and has changed an awful lot since its days as an RAF field. It'd be far easier to use one of the other former unmodified RAF fields for this...

Bassingbourn was the Depot for the Queens Division and has shut in that role. I did some of my basic training there. It's actually up for disposal and had officially closed pending a decision with what to do with it. Libyans are training there at present but this is being stopped because of problems.

The whole site will soon be empty.

There's actually more of the original WW2 site left than people think. All the Hangers are still in place and relatively unchanged. Of course you can't land aircraft on the runway (that's why I mentioned Duxford) which is spitting distance.

All the original H Blocks are intact and the original chapel. For general airfield scenes they could pretty much use the place. All the frying pans are still in place.

I've run round the airfield many a horrible time carrying a telegraph pole and rifle and 45 pound of kit - lovely memories.

I need to look it up, but I have photos around here somewhere taken at Bassingbourn of a B-17 formation flying over the place, coming back from a filming sortie for the "Memphis Belle" remake in the 80s. I can't imagine what that must have felt like, standing there when they came over the field!

• Of course you can't land aircraft on the runway...
  • For general airfield scenes they could pretty much use the place. All the frying pans are still in place.

Okay, if they can't land a plane there, what good is the runway or hardstands going to be for the production? There's not much appeal for an old airfield-no matter how authentic it still is-if you can't get an airplane on the ground to use the location.

I think you've kinda missed the point I was trying to make. We all know that filming will often take place at different locations. RAF Manston is rumoured to be the airfield of choice for flying scenes (which incidentally is no longer a RAF station and now a commercial airfield). It no longer resembles a WW2 Airfield at all.

Bassingbourn on the other hand is considered the best preserved wartime airfield and its currently empty with plans to knock it down and build houses there.

Several sites in England have been looked at. There is a big announcement due about Bassingbourn next year. Possible filming could throw the site a much needed lifeline - I for one would be very sad to see the old airfield become a housing estate.

I for one would be very sad to see the old airfield become a housing estate.

You and me, both. I was friends with a 91st BG co-pilot who's since passed away and we spent a lot of time talking about the place. I have a great deal of notes and on my 'bucket list' is to someday walk around the areas he told me about. It'd break my heart if that grand airfield survived intact for so long just to be bulldozed over now.

• 2 weeks later...

I certainly hope they don't demolish Bassingbourne. They have such a unique opportunity in a mostly preserved airfield that could have a lot of potential, it would be one hell of a waste.

Maybe Duxford could go in on it or some such.

I c

• 5 months later...

Isn't it odd that there have been no real updates or mentions about this film?

Doing a news search on Google, you find virtually no new info for over a year.

You'd think there would be some teaser info out there....rumors....actors....sets....something....?

willysmb44

Doesn't anyone else remember the Pacific series not releasing a lot of news until production was well underway?

DoubleEnvelopment

I will be waiting anxiously, but really would prefer something for the USN in the Pacific.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw that as well. They have been doing interviews with various 100th vets just like the BoB series did with Easy co.

100th BG stuff is already pricey, but this may give it another boost.

Really looking forward to the series!!!

JD

• 4 weeks later...

I saw that as well. They have been doing interviews with various 100th vets just like the BoB series did with Easy co.

100th BG stuff is already pricey, but this may give it another boost.

Really looking forward to the series!!!

JD

100th BG makes good sense. Harry Crosby's book, and even the Joblonski chapter on the Bloody Hundredth in "Flying Fortress" gives a good guess as the pattern to follow. I'd bet the house that Robert Rosenthal is a central character, Crosby more than likely. The Two Bucky's. Egan and Clevan. Frank Valesh...the list goes on and on. Considering the main combat scene in 12 O'Clock High is based on Bernie Lay's ride in Picadilly Lilly with the 100th on the Schweinfurt/Regensburg mission, it would be an apporopriate way to cover the majority of the bomber war from England