New HBO mini series on WWII about to be made. (Masters of the Air)

history-buff1944

AAF_Collection

Thanks Rich. I'll see if I can find out anything through my contacts at English Heritage and the MOD archaeologist. EH are starting to show some interest in WWII airfields,but at present I'd doubt they would list or schedule one.

Matt.

The Japanese clearly believed that the Americans were push overs and would not fight back after Pearl Harbor. The Americans thought that the Japanese did not even have the capability to wage war on par with the Americans. In the end, both sides committed atrocities that we would all be ashamed of. To think of WWII as simply good versus evil is not taking all of the factors into account. While we did defeat Hitler and Yamamoto, two clearly evil guys, it is clear that the end of WWII was really a power grab between Russia and the U.S. I guess what I am trying to say is that history is not as convenient as it seems and in the end war is hell from any side.

A bit of topic, but non the less....

Although WWII was started in Europe by Germany and In South East Asia by Japan to gain regional military, political and economic domination and the allies first and foremost tried that from happening, I think it is fair to say that both Nazi Germany and Japan brought an amount of evil upon other nations of a scale and severity the world has never seen before or since. (Yes, both Stalin and Mao are responsible for many millions of deaths, but the vast majority were their own people and most of them as a result of famine).

So if there is one conflict in which there were clearly good guys and bad guys (on country level) it's WWII. The Russians were not so nice, but luckily the were on our side from June 1941.

As in all wars both sides committed atrocities. But those of the allies (even those of the Russians) were in no way comparable to the structural, instrumental and industrial scale of atrocities committed by Germany and Japan. So in my opinion, against the background of the entire conflict, saying that in WWII US (or any other allied) soldiers committed atrocities too is splitting hairs.

• 1 month later...

I had heard rumors many months ago before this was announced that the original plans for the WW2 mini-series was to do one on the Army (Band of Brothers) One on the Marines (The Pacific) one on the Air Corps (this current one) and one on the Navy......the one on the navy I have heard is going to be about the submarine service. This all is from rumors heard from various people so it can be taken with a grain of salt.

Either way I look forward to this.

• 2 weeks later...
history-buff1944

I had heard rumors many months ago before this was announced that the original plans for the WW2 mini-series was to do one on the Army (Band of Brothers) One on the Marines (The Pacific) one on the Air Corps (this current one) and one on the Navy......the one on the navy I have heard is going to be about the submarine service. This all is from rumors heard from various people so it can be taken with a grain of salt.

Either way I look forward to this.

I would love to see one done about the Subs--especially profiling the USS Bowfin.

Come on, its Spielberg and Hanks! - These guys don't have to worry about a "budget" - What I'd like to see is something that shows the incredibly huge, global nature of WWII. So, one episode about a Hump pilot, one episode about an 8th AF troop carrier, one episode about a PTO bomber, one episode about a 15th AF fighter pilot, one episode on a WASP - These are just off the top of my head, I could think of plenty of scenarios! Good discussion, guys, Best regards, Bill K.

I referred to his latest rants after The Pacific was made at how racist the US Marines were and the public in general towards the Japs, Germans and Eyeties. What hanks seemingly """""forgot""""" was that there was a war going on started by those folks who did 100 times more killings than any of the Allies did non battlefield killings. hanks is just another to jump on the "bandwagon" in slamming the Country he lives in and makes buckets full of money in making Films and such--which includes lots of killings and such. In other words--hanks is the pot calling the kettle black.

Does anyone have the interview in which Tom Hanks made racist remarks about WWII GIs? Thanks, Bobgee

Does anyone have the interview in which Tom Hanks made racist remarks about WWII GIs? Thanks, Bobgee

You mean this?

Tom Hanks' WWII Comments Spark Controversy

"..."Back in World War II, we viewed the Japanese as 'yellow, slant-eyed dogs' that believed in different gods," he told the magazine. "They were out to kill us because our way of living was different. We, in turn, wanted to annihilate them because they were different. Does that sound familiar, by any chance, to what's going on today?"

Hanks brought up the comparison again while promoting "The Pacific" during an appearance on MSNBC's "Morning Joe."

"'The Pacific' is coming out now, where it represents a war that was of racism and terror. And where it seemed as though the only way to complete one of these battles on one of these small specks of rock in the middle of nowhere was to - I'm sorry - kill them all. And, um, does that sound familiar to what we might be going through today? So it's-- is there anything new under the sun? It seems as if history keeps repeating itself."

bunkerhillburning

" They were out to kill us because our way of living was different " - Tom Hanks

I can not fathom how someone could have studied the PTO and walked away with that conclusion. It boggles the mind.

history-buff1944

" They were out to kill us because our way of living was different " - Tom Hanks

I can not fathom how someone could have studied the PTO and walked away with that conclusion. It boggles the mind.

Me either.

Somehow I think he made those remarks to ensure he will keep working in hollywood.

Well, the quote is correct, but in the most simplistic way I can imagine. Sort of like saying the Hollocaust happened because the nazis, "had this thing with the Jews and didn't like them very much"...

• 1 month later...

I cannot wait for this new series to air. It's been a long time coming about the 8th AAF or in general, the Air War in Europe. It should be a great TV series to go along with 'The Band of Brothers' and 'The Pacific'.

littlebuddy

I hope it is good, not fantasy air warfare like Red Tails.

i totally agree with you "b-17 guy" !!!

Jack's Son

After the hit with BOB, and the flop of The Pacific, I'll wait and read your opinions before I even consider watching anymore of Hank's stuff. :(

8th Air Force - nothing can beat 'Twelve o'clock high' and 'Memphis Belle' is ok value and I don't mind 'The war lover' in which you gotta love Buzz Rickson. I would much prefer to see a series about the 15th Air Force.

Now one I would love to see a good film about Naval Aviation in the Pacific ;-)

cutiger83

After the hit with BOB, and the flop of The Pacific, I'll wait and read your opinions before I even consider watching anymore of Hank's stuff. :(

I did NOT consider The Pacific to be a flop. I don't want to get into another debate about the series but I prefer to judge for myself rather than read reviews. People are already cutting this down and the series hasn't been filmed! Good grief...don't judge anything before it has even started or you will definitely be disappointed.

...Kat

• 4 months later...

Hanks kind if put his foot in his mouth about the nature of the hatred between Japanese and American soldiers and made a big deal out of American racism while Possibly downplaying Japanese atrocities. First time i heard it, it didn't bother me because I know the Pacific was bad, but the more I thought about it, the more it bothered me. He lionized the guys from BOB, but in some ways, turned against the marines and soldiers that had to actually fight the Japanese. check it out for yourself, alot if that is my opinion, of course. He might have been trying to be as neutral as can be, but from knowing a few Pacific theater vets, I have a hard time thinking they would have resorted to such savagery if the Japanese didn't have such a penchant for severed heads, mutilation, and changing locations of ones' genitalia if captured.

That being said, I don't hate the guy, but hearing his name attached to a WWII piece doesn't have that ring anymore.

I will still watch this, and pretty eagerly await it, actually.

I saw a history channel program dedicated to showing how racist Americans were during WWII and Korea.. not sure if it was linked to the issue you raise. So I agree that it never ceases to amaze me how a small subset of our society lives to magnify our differences and ignore everything else... almost like a mental illness.

That said, I welcome any WWII series as long as it doesn't misrepresent/distort the real story... which could be an issue with Tom Hanks AND HBO... haha.

• 3 weeks later...

I can't wait for this. The Pacific wasn't as good as Band of Brothers to me, but I'm still very excited for this regardless of politics.