New HBO mini series on WWII about to be made. (Masters of the Air)

history-buff1944

JD and Uplandmod are right. AAF stuff has always been second only to airborne kit in terms of price and collectibilty. Flight gear has never been cheap! Probably the least expensive AAF items are EM's four-pockets and Ikes. If you want to dress up like a fly-boy and pose alongside a P-51 then be prepared to dig deep...whether you wear WW2 originals or substitute modern repros! If/when this series hits the screen there might well be a slight ripple effect on prices? That said, a major movie like "Red Tails" didn't exactly set the collecting world alight....did it?

history-buff1944

JD and Uplandmod are right. AAF stuff has always been second only to airborne kit in terms of price and collectibilty. Flight gear has never been cheap! Probably the least expensive AAF items are EM's four-pockets and Ikes. If you want to dress up like a fly-boy and pose alongside a P-51 then be prepared to dig deep...whether you wear WW2 originals or substitute modern repros! If/when this series hits the screen there might well be a slight ripple effect on prices? That said, a major movie like "Red Tails" didn't exactly set the collecting world alight....did it?

Looks like I waited too long to get into american stuff--I have--excluding my Dad and Granddads stuff--exactly TWO items.

I would also like to see a show about the vast support structure of the 8th AAF Matt but people would not tune in for that. Just getting moved into existing airfields and building new fields had to be quite a project. A hugh amount of work in a short time. Everything from gas to bombs to kitchen tables had to be shipped over. I have read how complicated just getting the bombers into formation was, and dangerous.

I think the public just want to see planes explode and young men die. Shake their heads and say how bad it must have been. Then watch something else.

Steve

In regards to this new miniseries, whatever they do, it WILL be better than Red tails.

To address the comments on the conduct of either side and Hank's opinion, it appears as if there is a misunderstanding. Hanks is criticizing both sides.

"Back in World War II, we viewed the Japanese as 'yellow, slant-eyed dogs' that believed in different gods," he told the magazine. "They were out to kill us because our way of living was different. We, in turn, wanted to annihilate them because they were different. Does that sound familiar, by any chance, to what's going on today?"

The Japanese clearly believed that the Americans were push overs and would not fight back after Pearl Harbor. The Americans thought that the Japanese did not even have the capability to wage war on par with the Americans. In the end, both sides committed atrocities that we would all be ashamed of. To think of WWII as simply good versus evil is not taking all of the factors into account. While we did defeat Hitler and Yamamoto, two clearly evil guys, it is clear that the end of WWII was really a power grab between Russia and the U.S. I guess what I am trying to say is that history is not as convenient as it seems and in the end war is hell from any side.

Interesting take on the whole Hanks quote. I have no judgement because I've read on it either way.

I do have to wonder, though, how our entry into Europe will be viewed in later years with the Holocaust thrown in as a factor (when arguably most US leaders really either didn't understand the scope of that or simply didn't care). Just like Lincoln's actions in the Civil War are viewed in a different take than they were at the time, signing the Emancipation Proclaimation as a political justification for what he was about to do to the South to the European powers and making the war about salvery then, when many historians have said it really wasn't his main issue until then.

My Dad once said he wondered if in 100 years or more, WW2 will be simply noted as "the war to free the jews," once the perspective of time has distorted things beyond how they're viewed in the immediate timeframe...

Interesting take on the whole Hanks quote. I have no judgement because I've read on it either way.

I do have to wonder, though, how our entry into Europe will be viewed in later years with the Holocaust thrown in as a factor (when arguably most US leaders really either didn't understand the scope of that or simply didn't care). Just like Lincoln's actions in the Civil War are viewed in a different take than they were at the time, signing the Emancipation Proclaimation as a political justification for what he was about to do to the South to the European powers and making the war about salvery then, when many historians have said it really wasn't his main issue until then.

My Dad once said he wondered if in 100 years or more, WW2 will be simply noted as "the war to free the jews," once the perspective of time has distorted things beyond how they're viewed in the immediate timeframe...

You my friend have stumbled upon the topic of historiography.

"Historiography refers either to the study of the methodology and development of "history" (as a discipline), or to a body of historical work on a specialized topic."

As a life member of the 91st BG association, I of course would love to see the 8th AF on screen again but agree with others that the 8th AF is overdone on film.

Bassingbourn -The home of the 91st BG is still intact. I've run around the airfield many a time. The original accomodation H blocks are all still there and we used to have briefing's in the old Bomb Crew briefing room. The chapel was and still is in one of the original nissan huts.

Great 91st Museum in the control tower.

I believe that the Army are due to pull out of Bassingbourn with the latest round of Defence cut's and the site will be demolished.

Be great to use it for the filming of the series. It's a shame to see the place go. I wonder if HBO were aware of this when making their decision. (lot's of happy-sometimes-memories of that place from basic training).

Bassingbourn is no stranger to Hollywood. Clark Gable did some filming there and Full Metal Jacket was also filmed there -it doubling as Paris Island.

Rich

RelicHunter99

Hanks kind if put his foot in his mouth about the nature of the hatred between Japanese and American soldiers and made a big deal out of American racism while Possibly downplaying Japanese atrocities. First time i heard it, it didn't bother me because I know the Pacific was bad, but the more I thought about it, the more it bothered me. He lionized the guys from BOB, but in some ways, turned against the marines and soldiers that had to actually fight the Japanese. check it out for yourself, alot if that is my opinion, of course. He might have been trying to be as neutral as can be, but from knowing a few Pacific theater vets, I have a hard time thinking they would have resorted to such savagery if the Japanese didn't have such a penchant for severed heads, mutilation, and changing locations of ones' genitalia if captured.

That being said, I don't hate the guy, but hearing his name attached to a WWII piece doesn't have that ring anymore.

I will still watch this, and pretty eagerly await it, actually.

I think you're looking at it wrong. I perceived the Pacific as displaying the unique horrors the marines suffered as compared to the soldiers in Europe. This was done nearly every episode they encountered the Japanese. They also told the story of just a few vets. Perhaps you're reaction is a bit too sensitive and you're perception is that he lumps everyone together, when that is clearly not the case.

And mentioning racism is not any sort of new thing. Anti Japanese was the attitude of the time, and a lot of it was soaked with racist imagery, language and beliefs. There has never been any question that the Japanese at the time were themselves extremely racist and committed savage acts. And that was shown to some extent. But again remember, they weren't out to tell the story of Japanese soldiers, but just a few marines.

It’s a little odd that they’re using Donald Miller’s Masters of the Air as source material. It’s a good book, but it’s an overview of the air war in Europe with an emphasis on 8th Air Force operations, it doesn’t follow a specific unit or persons. The 100th Bomb Group does feature prominently in the book, and I would guess that is the unit that the miniseries will focus on. It would be nice if some recognition were finally given to the B-24 groups of the 8th or 15th AF, but unfortunately I don’t think that will ever happen.

How about some credit and maybe a series about Pacific Numbered Air Forces, (5th, 7th, 13th), B-24 operations. Talk about "forgotten"! Guess there is no glamour without mass formations and swarms of German fighters. The AAF end of the airwar in the Southwest Pacific and central Pacific never is shown in movies. Most people don't even think there was any AAF in the Pacific except for the 20th Air Force and the B-29. Heck I'd even like to see something on the MTO like some of you guys suggested. The 8th Air Force has been in many movies since WWII ended, how bout something we don't see every day? Has anyone in Hollywood every thought about a movie or series about Bong and/or McGuire the 2 top American Aces who both were in the 5th Air Force?

ww2relichunter

my grandfather was an 8th air force vet in ww2 i have everything from his medals 4 uniforms footlocker patches , pennants, 3 sets of ww2 wings silk and normal maps 2 are RAF maps and 3 are US i also have his service records flight jacket and many other items.

My understanding is that Speilberg wanted to do PTO air operations, as his father had been involved, but it seems the market was just not there for it so.. SHAZAM! 8th AF! as it was easier and had a built in audience.

They bought that book as a base to build on so that when people with other books come out and claim they lifted stories, they point to that one and say "we based it upon this book, and additional research." It's a hollywoodland legal thing.

Cobrahistorian

8th AF is what everyone knows, so 8th AF is what gets made and perpetuated. I'd much rather have seen 9th or 12th AF, but I'm highly biased. Happy an AAF series is being done though. Let's hope it's on par with BoB and not the Pacific. There are a lot of good books to base it on, I'm intrigued (and a little concerned) that they're basing it on an overview of AAF ops in Europe though. Seems like the same formula as the Pacific, which didn't work out very well. Too much information, too many competing stories. Keeping my fingers crossed for it though. That and I'm keeping my AAF collection!

445th Bomb Group

How about some credit and maybe a series about Pacific Numbered Air Forces, (5th, 7th, 13th), B-24 operations. Talk about "forgotten"! Guess there is no glamour without mass formations and swarms of German fighters. The AAF end of the airwar in the Southwest Pacific and central Pacific never is shown in movies. Most people don't even think there was any AAF in the Pacific except for the 20th Air Force and the B-29. Heck I'd even like to see something on the MTO like some of you guys suggested. The 8th Air Force has been in many movies since WWII ended, how bout something we don't see every day? Has anyone in Hollywood every thought about a movie or series about Bong and/or McGuire the 2 top American Aces who both were in the 5th Air Force?

I understand that Laura Hillenbrand’s Unbroken has been optioned for a movie, so there may actually be Pacific Theatre B-24s depicted on screen as part of Louis Zamperini’s story. But don’t be surprised if they change Zamperini’s plane to a B-17 in the movie, just saying…

What I was trying to say is that the statement in question seemed like he was light on the racism and atrocities of the Japanese and heavy on the racism and atrocities committed by our guys. I wasn't commenting on the details of either series whatsoever. The quote that was posted on here is pretty moderate, and not inappropriate, and possibly offers a much fuller context for his statement, but I recoil at most anything that smacks of PC. I also said I didn't dislike him, but the Hanks/Spielberg team is not the instant seal of approval it once was for me, that's all.

I think you're looking at it wrong. I perceived the Pacific as displaying the unique horrors the marines suffered as compared to the soldiers in Europe. This was done nearly every episode they encountered the Japanese. They also told the story of just a few vets. Perhaps you're reaction is a bit too sensitive and you're perception is that he lumps everyone together, when that is clearly not the case.

And mentioning racism is not any sort of new thing. Anti Japanese was the attitude of the time, and a lot of it was soaked with racist imagery, language and beliefs. There has never been any question that the Japanese at the time were themselves extremely racist and committed savage acts. And that was shown to some extent. But again remember, they weren't out to tell the story of Japanese soldiers, but just a few marines.

history-buff1944

Unfortunately, Mr Hanks has joined the ranks of the "Politically Correct" revisionist historians. :o

Clint Eastwood and John Wayne--will always rule--over those others in my book.

history-buff1944

my grandfather was an 8th air force vet in ww2 i have everything from his medals 4 uniforms footlocker patches , pennants, 3 sets of ww2 wings silk and normal maps 2 are RAF maps and 3 are US i also have his service records flight jacket and many other items.

My dad was a ball turret gunner on a B-17 in the 8th AF in WWII, then in Korea, he was in the 5th AF. Nothing of his WWII service survives because about 20 years ago--someone broke into our house and pinched it all-leaving the Korean War stuff-which I still have. Ive only a couple of his ribbon bars from WWII-but none of his medals cept for the WWII Victory Medal.

My understanding is that Speilberg wanted to do PTO air operations, as his father had been involved, but it seems the market was just not there for it so.. SHAZAM! 8th AF! as it was easier and had a built in audience.

They bought that book as a base to build on so that when people with other books come out and claim they lifted stories, they point to that one and say "we based it upon this book, and additional research." It's a hollywoodland legal thing.

Mr Spielberg's dad was in the CBI

AAF_Collection

I would also like to see a show about the vast support structure of the 8th AAF Matt but people would not tune in for that. Just getting moved into existing airfields and building new fields had to be quite a project. A hugh amount of work in a short time. Everything from gas to bombs to kitchen tables had to be shipped over. I have read how complicated just getting the bombers into formation was, and dangerous.

I think the public just want to see planes explode and young men die. Shake their heads and say how bad it must have been. Then watch something else.

Steve

I think you've summed it up exactly Steve,the daily grind of being a mechanic,truck driver or mess cook just isn't "exciting" enough to feature in a movie.

I know I'm going off topic slightly,but what gets me going is that,in my opinion even those with an interest in the Eighth often overlook the support structure,I have yet to see any books which really cover it in depth,but again the market for such a book would probably be quite limited. What worries me is that a lot of the stories of the men on the ground are not being recorded.

Matt.

AAF_Collection

Bassingbourn -The home of the 91st BG is still intact. I've run around the airfield many a time. The original accomodation H blocks are all still there and we used to have briefing's in the old Bomb Crew briefing room. The chapel was and still is in one of the original nissan huts.

Great 91st Museum in the control tower.

I believe that the Army are due to pull out of Bassingbourn with the latest round of Defence cut's and the site will be demolished.

Rich

Hi Rich,

I'd heard that Bassingbourne was due to close,but I hadn't heard anything about demolition,do you have any further info? PM me if you prefer.

Thanks,

Matt.

I'd heard that Bassingbourne was due to close,but I hadn't heard anything about demolition,do you have any further info? PM me if you prefer.
Yeah, I'd like to know more about that as well. I hadn't heard anything like this through the 91st BG association so far...

Hi Rich,

Thanks,

Matt.

Matt,

It's still unclear at present. Possibly troops could be moved in from Germany but the MOD have left it up in the air. A friend on the Regimental recruiting team who were based there said a developer had their eye on the site, the same one's who have built at Waterbeach Barracks.

Let's hope it's saved.

Rich