My own ODS bring backs

mvmhm

My first real world deployment was at the end of Operation DESERT STORM. My orders didn't specifiy what unit I was going to, so imagine my surprise to learn as an Air Force Tech Sergeant, that I was now the comm NCO for the Headquarters and Headquarters Company (HHC), 72nd Signal Battalion (7th Signal Brigade). It ended up being as great job though, and the Army guys treated me like royalty. We eventually pulled back across the Iraq/Turkey border for Operation PROVIDE COMFORT to protect the Kurds. I found countless things I thought we old American Helmet liners...they were garbage as far as I was concerned, but when one of my Army colleagues told me they were really Iraqi helmets, I filled a mobility bag with them..along with bayonets, flags, an RPG site, etc....unfortunately, I gave most of the stuff away when I got back to Germany, but I kept one of everything for my self. I gave away a beret to a guy later in Combat Comm after he fixed my brakes for me. I forgot to take a pic of the RPG site, but here's the rest. Sorry for the glare, these are in my museum. Here's an AK-47 magazine:

Mark sends

post-3423-0-01457900-1358641795_thumb.jpg

This is the bayonet I kept...funny thing is, we actually wore these on our belts and used them as tools. I never did get one of the ones with the reddish plastic grips and scabbards...everyone thought they were an "Officers Model", so any that were found were snatched up right away. One of the captains had managed to get an RPG site with it's spare parts kit....he wore it on his belt during the day, and slept with it by his pillow at night he was so afraid someone would steal it.

post-3423-0-04363100-1358641983.jpg

I had a number of Iraqi flags, but again, gave them all away...I attached an OPC patch and my unit patch for the 7th Signal Brigade to it. Somewhere around here I also have a nice Turkish flag I had the people in the HHC sign. You can see part of the RPG sight I brought back in the lower right corner.

post-3423-0-63491900-1358642095_thumb.jpg

..And an Iraqi gasmask...like the helmets, these were pretty much laying everywhere and weren't too difficult to find in good condition.

post-3423-0-61751200-1358642190_thumb.jpg

This is a piece of tile from one of Saddam's palaces...it's where we landed going into Iraq...obviously his place was a mess. We only had a short stop, but I wanted to take something so I grabbed the tile. After I got to my final destination, one day walking to the chow hall I happened to see an Iraqi hat emblem laying in the dirt. After I got back to Germany I attached it to the tile and had a small plaque made so i could hang it in my office.

....good time.....goooood times.......

Mark sends

post-3423-0-93828400-1358642431_thumb.jpg

...and here I am as a much younger whipper-snapper....we were wearing BDU's when we first arrived, but as soon as the new tricolor DCUs were available, the Battalion Commander (LTC Thomas "The Silver Fox" German) put me at the front of the line and made sure I got two sets. I stayed in the 1st Combat Comm tent, little knowing that 6 years later i would be assigned to them.

Mark sends

post-3423-0-34285400-1358642560.jpg

post-3423-0-41523100-1358642572.jpg

It was just laying on the ground, so I assumed it was an AK.....

Mark sends

it looks similiar to a AK 30 rd mag but it's not interchangable

nice collection, I collect Iraqi war items

I've got a metal piece from one of his chandeliers someone brought back from the current war.....there was so much junk laying around that the thrill wore off pretty quick...but I still manage to fill a mobility bag with stuff!

Mark sends

Very nice! I need to centralize all my items. Those that I have left. Gave away tons of stuff to friends over the years. Some even went to members here.

the 30 round magazine is for the Czech Vz58 assault rifle

Bolo, where did you find that photo? That gent looks like one of the Special Police Commando I was an advisor to.

I have a piece of marble from the Ba'ath party house that I didn't bring back, but a friend did for me. I had a similar plaque made for it. I will have to post a pic later.

Mike

Corpsmancollector

A fantastic topic and some great items. This has been a pleasure to read, so thanks for posting and sharing your stories Mark!

Will